Original Score Albums

A. S. Behsam

At least 70% of each of my stories is inspired and created when I listen to original scores by my favorite composers.

Does anyone else find movie scores SO inspiring? :)

It depends what I'm writing, but I do like to have some music on while I'm typing, normally something that is a fitting soundtrack to what I am writing

At least 70% of each of my stories is inspired and created when I listen to original scores by my favorite composers.

Does anyone else find movie scores SO inspiring? :)

Definitely! Bear McCreary, Philip Glass & John Murphy's Sunshine for a start!

I often download video game soundtracks as they really use abstract motifs well. A lot of my stories come out of my choreographic work - they all inform each other :)

pH

Avatar, LOTR, and many others :) Also got a CD recently of Adiemus(it's a choir, worth checking out) and that is also good for my writing

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a grump. I like a nice bit of silence. Comes from too much preteen noise around the house at other times - tv, music, etc.

It isn't just when I write; I listen to this and my stories play in my head like movies! :D

Avatar, LOTR, and many others :) Also got a CD recently of Adiemus(it's a choir, worth checking out) and that is also good for my writing

Good choices! So you like James Horner and Howard Shore :)

Definitely! Bear McCreary, Philip Glass & John Murphy's Sunshine for a start!

I often download video game soundtracks as they really use abstract motifs well. A lot of my stories come out of my choreographic work - they all inform each other :)

pH

Great choices! I love John Murphy!
So I suggest you download Ramin Djawadi's Medal Of Honor and Hans Zimmer's Call of Duty. Both are beautiful albums!

I have at least 200 score albums, most of them being works of Alexandre Desplat (classic music style), Howard Shore (emotional style), Hans Zimmer (epic and dramatic style), James Newton Howard (emotional and dramatic style), John Powell (dramatic and action style), Dario Marianelli (sad and emotional), Marco Beltrami (emotional and dramatic), Carter Burwell (emotional and classic style), Clint Mansell (emotional and tense style), David Julyan (emotional and tense style) and Rachel Portman (emotional and classic style).

My absolute faves are of course Zimmer, Portman, Shore,Burwell and Desplat.

Now, for my stories, I always ask www.foryourstories.deviantart.com for music albums especially collected for me. Her choices are just perfect!

I ALWAYS have score and soundtrack albums for my stories. Absolute need for me! :D

Yup. In recent times, I've used soundtracks to Tron Legacy and Inception.

Kevin J. Anderson commented when writing his Terra Incognita series that much of his inspiration came from listening to music at the time. It spurred him to create an album with Erik Norlander based on the story. Interesting to note that the genre of the music was progressive rock.

Great question, I have a similar one I was going to post. Yes, I get very inspired by music, but I rarely listen while actually wrtiting. If a piece really fits the mood and I already know how the scene will play out, I can write with it. Only use instrumental music though, can't stand writing with with vocals. Way too distracting.

My favorite is John Williams. Cliche, I know, but I love the emotional journey he unfolds.

I generally listen to film soundtrack music while writing. I find that it helps me to ignore any general noise around the house. My favourites include the music of Epica and Two Steps From Hell, the LOTR soundtracks, the Unbreakable soundtrack and the Red Cliff soundtrack. I am generally very familiar with the music that I play. I find unfamiliar soundtracks are too distracting.

Only use instrumental music though, can't stand writing with with vocals. Way too distracting.

My favorite is John Williams. Cliche, I know, but I love the emotional journey he unfolds.

I completely agree :) God, I love movie scores for my stories! :D

Oh, Williams is amazing for journey stories! :)

Kevin J. Anderson commented when writing his Terra Incognita series that much of his inspiration came from listening to music at the time. It spurred him to create an album with Erik Norlander based on the story. Interesting to note that the genre of the music was progressive rock.

That's amazing. Wish I could do that for my book! Having original music created just for your story... it must be wonderful!

Back