Terry Pratchett: My daughter Rhianna will take over the Discworld when I'm gone

From what I've heard Christopher has done reasonably well with Tolkien's work - I think the thing is though that Tolkien left huge amounts of notes and unwritten segments so its more putting a puzzle back together and filling in a few cracks. I don't know how much Terry left behind but it might not have been as much in unfinished books. We've certainly seen Pern and Dune do badly due to children trying to be authors and honestly I think that even a very good author would have trouble; each author has a voice they write with which is hard to emulate because its never (if rarely) a fixed voice, but one that slowly changes; furthermore there is always lots left unwritten and not anywhere but the authors mind. Even a good other author won't be able to take a series the same places the same way and I think it would be to stifle their own creative voice to try and keep telling their parents tales. Let them grow their own series and their own wings.

I think she's been very strong to decide not to continue writing; heck we know that even if they were poor new Discworld books would sell huge volumes for a good while; so there has likely been pressure there to continue. Nice that she's letting it all come to an end where it should; and I'm sure merchandise, film and TV rights and all the rest will keep the family doing well despite Terry's departure from this world.

We've certainly seen Pern and Dune do badly
Well, Dune sort of went downhill gradually anyway and never lived up to promise of first book.
The later Pernese seemed for rabid dragon fans and not as good as earlier ones? I don't Blame Anne McCaffery for giving fans more of what they wanted. I didn't enjoy them as much, but did keep buying and enjoyed them well enough. It wasn't like Wheel of Time (I wasted too much money there!).

So the Todd etc would have to have been remarkable indeed to recover the original magic.

I've heard Christopher has done reasonably well with Tolkien's work
Well, most is more in the vein of the Silmarillion, and I'm not convinced that Tolkien had considered any more than The Silmarillion, which was conceived really before the other two books and is quite different. I think all the notes were notes. My eldest bought a lot of the Christopher works, and though I'm a very voracious reader and read widely, having seen them and read one, I'd not buy them. Has Christopher done any real writing or just editing?

Rhianna seems to be a real writer. She can always change her mind if in ten years time secretly writes one and decides it will sit fine with the others.

The only writer I have read that carried on their parents work that worked for me was Rhomer Zane Grey, I actually prefer some of his work to his fathers.

9EE1615B-A04A-4A1D-955C-6E44ACBD93EA.jpg