Plot help.

anthorn

Okay, it's help with a minor plot point, but still.
I've been writting in acts that are placed into books-volumes.
It goes Act one: Focusses on one character. Act two: Focusses on another character. Act three. Joins the P.O.V. Then inbetween the next act is an Interlude.
The next two acts shed some light on why what is happening happened to a certain character, while the next act ends that particular thread and has the P.O.V of all characters introduced so far.

Now, the plot help needed with......Ahem.

So my character works in a poorhouse as the in house doctor. She's chosen the job because it's the only one she could get despite her training, and because it grants her some anonimity. After being sent out to by some supplies, she is witness to a murder. The murderer threatens her to keep quiet before leaving. Before she can do anything, one of the city guards find her standing over the body and while in shock she tells him about the killer.

The next day, she is visited by a man who she deems responsible for the reason she has to remain in low profile. He makes it really clear to her that he's here because of the murder, and when she returns home, she discovers it ransacked but nothing taken. Disturbed, she writes to her friend, a man she deems her knight in shining armor and begs him to come back. Still in a panic, she decides to make herself homeless and sleep on the streets in an attempt to remain hidden. It doesn't take her long to be captured. She is then sold to a brothel, where her first customer ends up being someone who has been sent to kill her. Luckily, her knight in shining armor arrives in time to save her.

The next chapters reveal the identity of the mysterious killer, revealing he is working for a crime boss who is in the middle of a hostile takeover of the criminal underworld. It is revealed that the man who she thinks is the reason she has to remain undercover, is working for the crimeboss, as is the woman who runs the brothel.

Now I'm wondering, is it reasonable to expect a woman who is seeking for control of the criminal underworld, not to outright kill someone who saw one of her asassins? Is it believeable simply to have her send a simple threat in the form of someone they know will frighten her?

I agree with DZ - if the character was not useful, or potentially useful in the future, why wouldn't she have her killed? I suppose, though, another potential reason could be that the crime-boss knows this character has powerful protection and the crime-boss is under pressure or has been warned not to harm her.

There is indeed a new series on TV called Mob Doctor about a brilliant female surgeon who sold her services to the mob in order to save her brother who owed them a fortune when a hairbrained (no offence meant to HareBrain) scheme of his went wrong.

I assume that the story is relatively modern, as female doctors are relatively modern. If that is the case, no underworld crime boss (as opposed to gang leader) wants too many murders bringing media attention. Media attention means pressure on the politicians means pressure on the police. Pressure on the police means more (and maybe more honest) cops assigned to the organized crime units and task forces.

If bribes and threats can keep things quiet than that is the cheapest way to go in the long run.

After all, this is strictly business.

Thanks for the reply. It is a steam-fantasy novel in the loose sense.
I forgot to mention that she is the daughter of one of the wealthiest merchant families in the known world. Though saying that, she only keeps in touch with her father by letter.

Using your ideas, I could possibly have it go.

After ransacking her room they discover her profession and decide to "hire her." In the mean time, she goes into hiding and living rough. When captured, she's given the chance accept a job offer. When she refuses, she is carted off to a brothel to see what life will be like if she refuses.

I agree with the others. Unless your mob boss is particularly ruthless (and maybe not so clever), she'd* have no reason to kill your doctor, due to media attention, the potential use a medical expert might be to them, etc.
When you mention she's a daughter to a wealthy family, do you mean the doctor or the mob boss?* If the doctor, then this could provide another reason for the mob to keep her alive: Killing her would attract the scorn of a very powerful family.

* When you say "a woman who is seeking for control of the criminal underworld", I assume you mean a woman who's aiming to rise to lead the mob?

Yeah, the doctor is wealthy family daughter.

The criminal underworld of the city is run by three crews of which the woman hounding the doctor is a part of. She's seeking to wipe out the other crews and take control of everything.