Doyle's Prof. Challenger, The Lost World, etc.

Extollager

Daily Mail columnist Peter Hitchens hasn't forgotten Doyle's first Challenger story:

31 August 2012 3:10 PM

A Truly Lost World

Each time I re-read my favourite thriller The Rose of Tibet by Lionel Davidson, I am caught by a few words as the hero (if such he is) recalls ‘rapt, jammy evenings by the fire with the “Children’s Encyclopaedia”’ or something very like that.

This reminiscence is prompted by his first real experience of Tibet itself, which makes him realise coldly how far from home he is. Davidson never went there, and simply imagined it from books and maps, rather convincingly in my view. But what would I know? I haven’t managed to get to Tibet either, only to Bhutan next door.

He is no doubt recalling blurred, greenish photographs of monks and other Tibetans, large men blowing huge horns, monasteries clinging to high hillsides, and ancient, incomprehensible ceremonies under the mighty walls of Lhasa.

My view of the world was largely formed by Arthur Mee’s books, some in a holiday home we used to rent in West Wittering (later made notorious by Marianne Faithfull, but then a most respectable seaside resort), some on shelves in my grandfather’s eccentric home in Portsmouth, with its piles of defunct fretwork wireless sets, its mangle and its air-raid shelter too solid to be demolished.

Outside it is a chilly grey day in Southern England, lapped in safety. The great moat of the sea is just to the south. The soft shapes of the Downs are to the north. England is secure, prosperous, solid and unchanging. And here in these cramped pages are pictures and accounts of an exotic, impossibly distant world inhabited by, well, foreigners and strange wild beasts.

There, there is no safety, no moat against invasion and the hand of war, and there are jagged, unfriendly mountains and sucking, snake-infested swamps instead of soft sheep-cropped hills and quiet woodlands. There is adventure, uncertainty, excitement – all the things that are not to be found in the comfortable counties served by the dark green trains of the Southern Region of British Railways.

This picture of abroad, as it turned out, was truer than I knew, and I have been privileged to see for myself many of the places those ancient encyclopaedias first alerted me to. I wlll never get over my visit to Kashgar, or my first sight of the Himalayas, or of Persepolis. But alongside it ran the memory of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s book ‘the Lost World’ (whose title was borrowed by Michael Crichton a few years ago, surely consciously. It must be 50 years since I read this book, and the other day I turned to it again.

I was surprised both by what I remembered and what I didn’t. Three particular moments I recalled as if I had read them yesterday. Other scenes were vaguely familiar. Others were wholly unfamiliar. I knew the names of all the major characters, especially of Professor Challenger, a character Doyle invented, I think, as part of his struggle to escape the monster of Sherlock Holmes, which he had created but could not control, and of Lord John Roxton, who I am told may have been modelled on the sad figure of Sir Roger Casement.

I would be surprised if it is read at all any more – not because it isn’t a great story, for it is. The party set out to find a remote plateau in South America where dinosaurs and pterodactyls still dwell. You’ll have to read it to find out what happens. But it is of course dogged by the racial stereotypes of its time -1912. So it is full of expressions and sentiments which no modern teacher or librarian could permit.

It is also, like the now-dead Boy’s Own Paper and the Children’s Newspaper of my boyhood, written in a complex, literate style which Doyle assumed would be accessible and normal for boys as young as nine or ten.

Yet it has lived in my memory for half a century, and may well have helped stimulate the mind of the man who wrote Jurassic Park and so gave the modern world its own enthralling chance to imagine what would happen if modern man met living dinosaurs.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

......Extollager notes: My son once spotted a copy of The Lost World with photos tied to the 1920s silent movie -- in a recycle bin. What a find!

The Lost World in an edition like this was one of the first items in my personal science fiction collection.
lostworld.jpg

It's too bad all Doyle seem to be remembered for by most people is Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle could flat out write and with great versatility. I read this book a few years back and found it to a fun and very well written book. :)

My view of the world was largely formed by Arthur Mee’s books....
I don't think it formed my view of the world -- one cannot simply rely on a single source for something as important as creating one's world view -- but I did spend many happy hours with my nose in Mee's The Children's Encyclopedia when I was young. I still have my copy; it's the ten-volume edition with deep red covers from the late 1950s (as am I). Over the years, I've met quite a few people brought up with this Encyclopedia, and have been known to suggest that we were all of the Mee generation.

And to get back on topic, I recall enjoying reading The Lost World. Unfortunately, it was my uncle's book; I haven't seen it for over four decades, so cannot recall much more than the outline of the story.

I still have my copy; it's the ten-volume edition with deep red covers from the late 1950s (as am I). Over the years, I've met quite a few people brought up with this Encyclopedia, and have been known to suggest that we were all of the Mee generation.
Mee, too! I've also got our very dog-eared, falling-to-bits set. I was never as interested in the photos of foreign places as Hitchens evidently was, though I can well remember the feel of those monochrome images, but I loved the stories. (Though even as a child, I thought some of the verse stuff was irredeemably babyish.)

I read The Lost World only last year. (It's possible I read it as a child, but unlikely, as Victorian explorers weren't my thing, even if I did get praise for schoolwork on Stanley and Livingstone, courtesy of the Mee encyclopedia!) Unfortunately, it was lumped with some other of his stories which didn't travel quite so well. My thoughts at the time:
I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost World itself, which to me was far superior to its French living-dinosaurs stablemate, Journey to the Centre of the Earth – Doyle restrains the scientific info-dumps, writes real and engaging characters, has an excellent narrator and produces some very comic asides and images as well as rollicking adventure, primitive men, lots of action, and, of course, the dinosaurs themselves. I wasn't so taken with the second story, The Poison Belt, where a good, old-fashioned end-of-the-world scenario was undermined by a rather daft premise and a very unsatisfactory ending, and the third, The Land of Mist, is setting my teeth on edge as it's a blatant panegyric and advertising puff for Doyle's spiritualist beliefs, which ruins the integrity of the story and makes it, for me, virtually unreadable.
and
I duly finished the Conan Doyle, skimming the last tranche of The Land of Mist which didn't improve on closer acquaintance, then whipping through the two short stories which made up the collection. Overall, I'd have been happier just to have read The Lost World and left the others alone.

Daily Mail columnist Peter Hitchens hasn't forgotten Doyle's first Challenger story:

31 August 2012 3:10 PM

A Truly Lost World

Each time I re-read my favourite thriller The Rose of Tibet by Lionel Davidson, I am caught by a few words as the hero (if such he is) recalls ‘rapt, jammy evenings by the fire with the “Children’s Encyclopaedia”’ or something very like that.

This reminiscence is prompted by his first real experience of Tibet itself, which makes him realise coldly how far from home he is. Davidson never went there, and simply imagined it from books and maps, rather convincingly in my view. But what would I know? I haven’t managed to get to Tibet either, only to Bhutan next door.

He is no doubt recalling blurred, greenish photographs of monks and other Tibetans, large men blowing huge horns, monasteries clinging to high hillsides, and ancient, incomprehensible ceremonies under the mighty walls of Lhasa.

My view of the world was largely formed by Arthur Mee’s books, some in a holiday home we used to rent in West Wittering (later made notorious by Marianne Faithfull, but then a most respectable seaside resort), some on shelves in my grandfather’s eccentric home in Portsmouth, with its piles of defunct fretwork wireless sets, its mangle and its air-raid shelter too solid to be demolished.

Outside it is a chilly grey day in Southern England, lapped in safety. The great moat of the sea is just to the south. The soft shapes of the Downs are to the north. England is secure, prosperous, solid and unchanging. And here in these cramped pages are pictures and accounts of an exotic, impossibly distant world inhabited by, well, foreigners and strange wild beasts.

There, there is no safety, no moat against invasion and the hand of war, and there are jagged, unfriendly mountains and sucking, snake-infested swamps instead of soft sheep-cropped hills and quiet woodlands. There is adventure, uncertainty, excitement – all the things that are not to be found in the comfortable counties served by the dark green trains of the Southern Region of British Railways.

This picture of abroad, as it turned out, was truer than I knew, and I have been privileged to see for myself many of the places those ancient encyclopaedias first alerted me to. I wlll never get over my visit to Kashgar, or my first sight of the Himalayas, or of Persepolis. But alongside it ran the memory of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s book ‘the Lost World’ (whose title was borrowed by Michael Crichton a few years ago, surely consciously. It must be 50 years since I read this book, and the other day I turned to it again.

I was surprised both by what I remembered and what I didn’t. Three particular moments I recalled as if I had read them yesterday. Other scenes were vaguely familiar. Others were wholly unfamiliar. I knew the names of all the major characters, especially of Professor Challenger, a character Doyle invented, I think, as part of his struggle to escape the monster of Sherlock Holmes, which he had created but could not control, and of Lord John Roxton, who I am told may have been modelled on the sad figure of Sir Roger Casement.

I would be surprised if it is read at all any more – not because it isn’t a great story, for it is. The party set out to find a remote plateau in South America where dinosaurs and pterodactyls still dwell. You’ll have to read it to find out what happens. But it is of course dogged by the racial stereotypes of its time -1912. So it is full of expressions and sentiments which no modern teacher or librarian could permit.

It is also, like the now-dead Boy’s Own Paper and the Children’s Newspaper of my boyhood, written in a complex, literate style which Doyle assumed would be accessible and normal for boys as young as nine or ten.

Yet it has lived in my memory for half a century, and may well have helped stimulate the mind of the man who wrote Jurassic Park and so gave the modern world its own enthralling chance to imagine what would happen if modern man met living dinosaurs.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

......Extollager notes: My son once spotted a copy of The Lost World with photos tied to the 1920s silent movie -- in a recycle bin. What a find!

The Lost World in an edition like this was one of the first items in my personal science fiction collection.
lostworld.jpg

Ive seen that edition in a used bookstore. I almost picked it up, wish I had .

I would be surprised if it is read at all any more – not because it isn’t a great story, for it is.

Well I only read it for the first time a couple of years ago. And loved it. It's such a shame the later Challenger stories became so infused with Doyle's Spiritualist obsessions. It felt slavish and definitely spoilt them for me. In fact I don't think I even finished The Land of Mist.

Well I only read it for the first time a couple of years ago. And loved it. It's such a shame the later Challenger stories became so infused with Doyle's Spiritualist obsessions. It felt slavish and definitely spoilt them for me. In fact I don't think I even finished The Land of Mist.

Yes but out of that we did get the 1925 silent movie The Lost World and Irwin Allen's Memorable 1960 adaptation and the tv series in the late 1990's :)

Yes but out of that we did get the 1925 silent movie The Lost World and Irwin Allen's Memorable 1960 adaptation and the tv series in the late 1990's :)
Not from the later Challenger stories which are the ones I was complaining about. The Lost World I loved and deserves all the praise it can get.

Not from the later Challenger stories which are the ones I was complaining about. The Lost World I loved and deserves all the praise it can get.

Ive read The Lost World and loved it. The only other other story im aware of is The Poison Belt which ive never read ? I Didn't know there were others.

I would love to see someone do a new Lost world feature film.:)

Land of Mist comes after The Poison Belt (which is worth a read) and is completely focused on spiritualism but not in an interesting way. I believe later in his career he abandoned Holmes and churned out books preaching spiritualism, particularly after the deaths of his wife, son and other family members. I understand he became quite the evangelist on the subject and most of the rest of his work 'infected' by it. However I may be drastically wrong in any or all of that - it's just my understanding - but certainly The Land of Mist was dreadful in this respect.

There are two more short stories following this: The Disintegration Machine and When the World Screamed which I actually haven't read yet.

EDIT: You posted whilst I was typing:) And yes, they could really do something with it. But might it not just be another King Kong?

Land of Mist comes after The Poison Belt (which is worth a read) and is completely focused on spiritualism but not in an interesting way. I believe later in his career he abandoned Holmes and churned out books preaching spiritualism, particularly after the deaths of his wife, son and other family members. I understand he became quite the evangelist on the subject and most of the rest of his work 'infected' by it. However I may be drastically wrong in any or all of that - it's just my understanding - but certainly The Land of Mist was dreadful in this respect.

There are two more short stories following this: The Disintegration Machine and When the World Screamed which I actually haven't read yet.

EDIT: You posted whilst I was typing:) And yes, they could really do something with it. But might it not just be another King Kong?

Maybe Peter Jackson might do the film?

The 1960 film that Irwin Allen did is a real hoot. Instead of using stop Motion Dinos which would have been a better idea, they stuck rubber horns and fins on Iguanas, monitor lizards and alligators. He reused footage from the film in a number of episodes of the tv show shows that he produced.:)

It's too bad all Doyle seem to be remembered for by most people is Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle could flat out write and with great versatility. I read this book a few years back and found it to a fun and very well written book. :)

Agreed. I've read a fair amount of Sherlock Holmes, and while entertaining, I don't find the mysteries THAT engaging. It's the fantastic writing and interesting characters that carry Holmes, and these are every bit as good in the Lost World. I read it a few years back and thought it was his best novel (Hound of the Baskervilles is pretty close).