Late-Night Reading?

Connavar, I purposely didn't refer to "bedtime reading," but to "late-night reading" -- this thread isn't intended just for the former class of readers.

By the way -- thinking about the subject, I now realize that my late-night reading tends towards "time machine reading." By that, I mean primarily writing that takes me back, in imagination, to an earlier time. I expect to be reading Parkman's Oregon Trail for a while now, before lights-out, and it should be an enjoyable visit to 1846. But "time-machine reading" also suggests the rereading of old favorites (as was a recent late-night choice, Tolkien's Adventures of Tom Bombadil).

Ah my bad. I see what you mean now, since i dont read late nights normally and i follow authors more than genres. I would say only big fav like Lord Dunsany,Vance,poetry greats,Poe,Howard,Homer i read late nights. I work late night sometimes too and only take those type big level alltime favs with me. Not joe average SFF,crime,historical writer....

I too like "time machine reading" as you call it late at night. Lord Dunsany or Vance taking me to fable lands/ancient times, wierd far future,fantasy cultures. Also weird fiction that goes to my head,imagination. People like Bradbury,Clark Ashton Smith,Howard. Its like your mind likes imagination better when its late.

Not deliberate at all, honestly. But it is a true story. It wasn't even an old house, but it was an exceedingly creepy house. I had a habit, while we lived there, of changing beds occasionally, rotating irregularly between sleeping in my bedroom and sleeping in the spare bedroom. Although I lived in that house over thirty years ago, it has only recently dawned on me that I did that in order to confuse whatever it was that was inhabiting that house aside from myself and my family.

I'm not much of an in-bed reader. I started OSC's Treasure Box almost a year ago at bedtime, and am so far about halfway through it. Get most of mine done on the bus.

I read in bed sporadically and when I do, it's usually whatever novel I'm working on at the time. But sometimes I'm in the mood for something other than a novel, and then I pull out a book of essays or, more often, short stories.

Most recently I've been dipping into The Early Fears by Robert Bloch and The Imago Sequence by Laird Barron. I'll probably continue to dip into the Bloch, but will attend to the Barron more systematically in the near future partly as preparation for reading his new novel.

Randy M.

On a work night I try to freethe 7 to 9 PM time period for either reading or structured television. By that I mean specific movies or TV shows that I have looked for and located because of something I read. The books are frequently classic detective fiction. At least lately. But I also go through classic Science Fiction. I frequently discover that I've missed things in the past such as complete series of books by authors that have caught my interest.

I like reading creepy sci-fi at night. Metro 2033 was an awesome read. I would turn out all the lights, then flip on my head lamp, and read it until I fell asleep. That was an aweome book, though it stumbled a bit in parts because of the translation.

If reading just before turning in, I think I would fall asleep ;)
My reading lays earlier in the day.
But I can recommend a book called Reading in Bed which contains (short) essays of e.g. Montaigne, Hazlitt, Emerson, Thoreau, Ruskin, Stevenson, Proust, Hesse, Miller, Nabokov, Fadiman, Greene, Calvino, Fowles.
All essays about the act of reading, or as he calls it, the Glories of Reading :)
Here it is

Attachments

• Reading in Bed.jpg
    Reading in Bed.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 126
I love late night reading but it tend to be bad for me. I always get wrapped up in what I'm reading and before I know it late night reading has turned into wee early hours (or not so early hours) of the morning... so on most week nights reading before bed is a serious no-no.

I love a good fantasy on the weekends tho. I read a lot of Indie Authors. Just started Glamour by Penelope Fletcher. Interesting so far.

I also like reading Warhammer 40,000 books when it is late. Perfect, non thought provoking (except Dan Abnett's stuff maybe) dark space opera fiction about power armored super humans blasting aliens into chunks. Just the kind of mind numbing violence the brain needs before it falls asleep. ;)

The only really late-early hours reading I've ever done has been Lord of the rings and Harry Potter. Nowadays, if I feel I get even a little tired, I close the book and go to bed. I don't want to repeat those experiences in which I started reading and despite what my body was telling me, I wouldn't close the covers until I reached the end of the story.
Read The return of the king in one sitting. Couldn't see straight for a couple of days hehe.

I like late night reading as long as I'm not too tired (or inebriated) because it is a time usually most free from unwanted noise and distraction.

Personally, I like a bit of weird horror to read at that time.

The only really late-early hours reading I've ever done has been Lord of the rings and Harry Potter. Nowadays, if I feel I get even a little tired, I close the book and go to bed. I don't want to repeat those experiences in which I started reading and despite what my body was telling me, I wouldn't close the covers until I reached the end of the story.
Read The return of the king in one sitting. Couldn't see straight for a couple of days hehe.

I'm like that when I'm riding in a car. I think I read The Fellowship of the Ring in pretty much one sitting, minus a few gas station stops.

I do the majority of my non-work related reading in bed at night. No matter the time I get to bed I have to spend some time reading otherwise I have a restless night of sleep. It is a way for me to unwind from the day. The reading material is of no consequence...as long as I read.

I do the majority of my non-work related reading in bed at night. No matter the time I get to bed I have to spend some time reading otherwise I have a restless night of sleep. It is a way for me to unwind from the day. The reading material is of no consequence...as long as I read.

Work related reading is a bore...so much so I never read it.:)

I do most of my reading on the train to and from work. Sometimes I will read at night.

Work related reading is a bore...so much so I never read it.:)

I do most of my reading on the train to and from work. Sometimes I will read at night.

If only I could take your approach to work related reading! I have a stack of unread work material sitting on my desk right now staring accusingly at me.

Oh to have the luxury of being able to read on a train; we don't even have trains. :( And the police take a dim view of reading whilst driving.

If only I could take your approach to work related reading! I have a stack of unread work material sitting on my desk right now staring accusingly at me.

Well I'm merely an IT grunt who can get away without reading...heck I can almost get away with just getting paid to post on this site.

Oh to have the luxury of being able to read on a train; we don't even have trains. :( And the police take a dim view of reading whilst driving.

Reading on the train is fine. Getting squished into the window because the seats are small isn't.
I didn't realise Tassie didn't have trains. Weird.

Well I'm merely an IT grunt who can get away without reading...heck I can almost get away with just getting paid to post on this site.

Merely? I would think there was nothing 'mere' about working IT. Maybe not having to worry about work related reading merely means you are proficient at your job. ;) I do know about more or less being paid to post whilst at work. :D

Reading on the train is fine. Getting squished into the window because the seats are small isn't.
I didn't realise Tassie didn't have trains. Weird.

How I miss Melbourne and its public transport!

Tassie is very ungenerous when it comes to public transport. A little secret, Cayal, Tassie is weird. *shifty eyes*

Merely? I would think there was nothing 'mere' about working IT. Maybe not having to worry about work related reading merely means you are proficient at your job. ;) I do know about more or less being paid to post whilst at work. :D

Trust me, it's mere. It's boring and I wish I paid attention at school and knew what I wanted to do now back then (basically study Marine life)

How I miss Melbourne and its public transport!

Our public transport is horrible. It's fine when it works (minus squished to the window) but that's rare.

Tassie is very ungenerous when it comes to public transport. A little secret, Cayal, Tassie is weird. *shifty eyes*

Rumour is you'll have two heads :O

Trust me, it's mere. It's boring and I wish I paid attention at school and knew what I wanted to do now back then (basically study Marine life)

I think paying more attention at school when there is a sentiment many of us can relate to! You cannot return to study? It's never too late to follow a dream...better than living with a multitude of regrets.

Our public transport is horrible. It's fine when it works (minus squished to the window) but that's rare.

It never worked well when I was living there, but I cannot tell you in adequate words how much I miss it. If I were to tell you how many things I miss from the mainland we'd still be here a year later!

Rumour is you'll have two heads :O

Oh noes!...Oh wait! I'm not a Tasmanian by birth. I'm a sandgroper, and I can assure you I have only one head. :p

*wonders how much chat-jacking is frowned upon on this forum*

I think paying more attention at school when there is a sentiment many of us can relate to! You cannot return to study? It's never too late to follow a dream...better than living with a multitude of regrets.

Indeed. I'm looking into it. It's tough though, lots of things to consider.

It never worked well when I was living there, but I cannot tell you in adequate words how much I miss it. If I were to tell you how many things I miss from the mainland we'd still be here a year later!

But you have Tassie Devils (for the moment), that trumps anything we have on the mainland.

Oh noes!...Oh wait! I'm not a Tasmanian by birth. I'm a sandgroper, and I can assure you I have only one head. :p

I bet people stare at you like you have a single head ;)

*wonders how much chat-jacking is frowned upon on this forum*

Totally ruined the thread.