The Tooken Wars rewrite <1200 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammill Khursheed

Smell your own dam finger
Following advice from the first critique, I've cut a HELL of a lot of superfluous words and descriptions, so much so that I can put the second scene of the first chapter up as well...

I've cut a lot from the second scene already, just by following the same advice for the first scene, but I'm thinking that even though I have cut a lot, its still a bit too info-heavy...

As always, I've moderated live-action writing groups before and I know you don't learn anything from people being nice, so be as truthful as you feel you need to be...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Jammill

Chapter I.

Izyack Royal Academy, Kaissell
22.11.1487bng (Before the New Galactic)

Haemon Krall paced uncomfortably up and down the overly-luxurious room, keeping his eyes fixed on the intimidatingly large window. He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. This whole universe was.

Though Kaissell was a moon it was the Izyack homeworld, where his current host’s ancestors had lived as slaves. Emperor Feiyen had told him that the Izyack were set free over six million years ago. The vast planet Kaissell orbited was terraformed into a new home for them, and the Dark Soul brought an end to their own empire, returning to a more simple life here. The Royal Academy, and the Royal Tomb nearby, were the only two places on the moon outsiders were allowed now.

Straying from these areas, into the dense jungle beyond, would mean death. No one except the ruling house of the Empire were permitted to see the face of a Dark Soul and live. The Izyack used this to their advantage by setting the Academy here. It was where the ruling class of the universe could safely send their children to school, to be taught by the best teachers from across the Congress, protected by a living, breathing ghost story. His own daughter had been here for the past five years, since the first of his people had travelled amongst the stars and he was appointed ambassador to House Feiyen.

Through the window Krall noticed a flash of darkness, a child-like cry accompanying a rustling in the undergrowth. One of the unseen Dark Soul had found its prey. They had populated their jungles with strange, limbless, reptile-like, creatures. Krall knew they were self-aware, that the Dark Soul only ever ate sentient life forms. If it weren’t for these creatures, they would be hunting each other. With prey that screamed like a baby, and a history of being bred as much for food as labour, it was no wonder the Izyack were vegetarian.

Krall was distracted by a chime at the entrance to his room, but he didn’t take his eyes away from the window.

“Door.” Krall called out. He knew Feiyen’s nameless attendant was stood in the doorway, and wouldn’t come in until told. But Krall couldn’t stop watching.

“I wouldn’t have opened it if I didn’t want you to come in.” Krall added, the attendant finally walking in and waiting patiently behind him. Outside, with another flash of darkness the leaves became still once more, a half eaten carcass now seen on the floor.

“Emperor Feiyen says that he is ready for you Ambassador.” Without even looking Krall knew she would have her head lowered in reverence.

“Good.” Krall responded as he turned to face the attendant. As she slowly raised her head Krall made eye contact, then allowed her to lead him out of the room, with only a cursory glance back at the darkness he hadn’t even seen.

************​

Krall was disappointed by the scarcity of ‘aliens’ as he entered the auditorium. Most of them looked no different to him, his fellow Derived Races. The large, black, pupil-less eyes of the Ferrend, and the external gills of the Laquiss were barely noticeable behind shaded glasses and shirts respectively. The Axon and Tarvell however had no distinguishing features, from each other or the Neabon. It was only the Izyack, the fifth of the Derived Races currently in the Universal Congress, that differed from the others.

Although their numbers were lower, the alieness of the Evolved Races didn’t disappoint. He could see the red and orange equine bodies of Schaylon all around, one race representing two separate nation-states. The red ones were from Schayluss, the sixth member of the Congress, while the orange ones were from the Greater Schaylon Empire, the only other faction in this sector of the universe, and the Congress’ ally.

All the other Evolved Races here, the eight foot mounds of muscle and hair that were the Yollen, the hard-shelled humanoid form of the Tooken, and the blank faces and slender silicone limbs of the Shockrell, were citizens of the Schaylon ruled G.S.E.

The five Derived Races and the citizens of Schayluss were only six of the eight members of the Congress. The other two were not represented here, the Harggen and the Beilon. The Harggen, neither Evolved or Derived, were descended from Izyack and Tarvell cross-breeding and had no need of a Royal Academy, being the only true democracy in the universe.

The Beilon were on the brink of extinction, and he’d never seen one in person. There were said to be less than a hundred left, the last of their soul being nursed to their grave by thousands upon thousands of sentient robots on their homeworld. Beilon lived long lives though, the youngest of the survivors had at least another couple of thousand years.

Emperor Feiyen entered the room and immediately made his way towards Krall. Like all Izyack, the Emperor had thick green-brown skin, and the main distinguishing feature of his race, the cutter. It lay in the middle of Feiyen’s forehead, four bony digits forming an ‘X’. The rest of the universe didn’t know what it was for, but many postulated it had something to do with their breeding rituals.

“Emperor.” Krall said, bowing his head.

“Haemon.” Feiyen responded. Krall filled with pride every time he heard that word from the mouth of an alien Emperor. He had endured much to earn the position of Haemon, now he was getting the rewards. “We’ll talk after the performance old friend.”

As the two of them took their seats, Krall remembered back to their first meeting. It had been almost twenty years since a young Krall had met Feiyen, the Emperor himself being first Izyack to land on Neabuerkauss for talks with their Haemons, proving that the Neabon were not alone in this universe.

It had been twenty years without the destruction and pillaging they had feared. Twenty years in which the Izyack had been preparing them for life in the universal community with gifts of technology, science and medicine. The Neabonn were now starting to colonise other worlds in their home system with Izyack ships. Their doctors had all but eradicated most diseases, and it had been the greatest twenty years in Neabon history.

In another ten, they would be ready to join the Congress. Then they would repay the Izyack for their help, by voting alongside the Ferrend and Laquiss to hand them control of the group, installing the deserved rulers of the universe to power. Currently the Tarvell ruled the Congress with the support of the Beilon and Harggen, Axon and Schayluss remaining neutral.

The last of the lights died down, Krall able to glimpse the deep black eyes of the Ferrend as the protective glasses were removed now it was darker. Two figures walked onto the stage, Krall’s daughter Taten and Zan’Tal Feiyen. Emperor Feiyen had never married so had no heir of his own, and it was his young nephew who would one say inherit his throne.

Krall smiled up at his daughter as he prepared to watch the show.

Hi Jammill,

I found the end of the first paragraph intriguing -- you set up the Dark Soul nicely and I wanted to find out what it was. Unfortunately, I didn't find out, and by the time I got to the third paragraph, I was pretty sure I needed to know. I hope these comments help.

Haemon Krall paced uncomfortably up and down the overly-luxurious room, keeping his eyes fixed on the intimidatingly large window. [For me, there are too many adjectives in this opening sentence -- I don't think you need 'uncomfortably', for example, because it's sort of implied by his pacing] He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. This whole universe was. [I like this last bit. Very intriguing. What's the Dark Soul, I wonder?]

Though Kaissell was a moon[comma] it was the Izyack homeworld, where his current host’s ancestors had lived as slaves. [so why 'though'?] Emperor Feiyen had told him that the Izyack were set free over six million years ago. The vast planet Kaissell orbited was [had been??] terraformed into a new home for them [by whom?], and the Dark Soul brought an end to their own empire [okay so what's the Dark Soul? I thought it was the moon, but now it sounds like people and I'm really confused], returning to a more simple life here. The Royal Academy, and the Royal Tomb nearby,[so is Krall on the moon? No, because you talk of the planet as 'here' -- so how can the Academy and Tomb be 'nearby'?] were the only two places on the moon outsiders were allowed now. [I don't understand this paragraph]

Straying from these areas,[I don't think you need a comma] into the dense jungle beyond,[I would question this comma too] would mean death. No one except the ruling house of the Empire were [was? 'no one was permitted'] permitted to see the face of a Dark Soul and live. The Izyack used this to their advantage by setting the Academy here. [I'm completely confused now so I don't think I'm going to be any use and I'll stop! I still don't know what the Dark Soul is.]

Last edited:
Chapter I.

Haemon Krall paced uncomfortablydon't need up and down the overly-luxurious room, keeping his eyes fixed on the intimidatinglydon't need - we know from his fear large window. He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. This whole universeuniverse is a difficult to define term - planet, system,empire,galaxy? was.

Though Kaissell was a moon it was the Izyack homeworld, where his current host’s ancestors had lived as slaves. Emperor Feiyen had told him that the Izyack were set free over six million years ago. The vast planet Kaissell orbited wastense terraformed into a new home for them, and the Dark Soul feels like it needs a hadbrought an end to their own empire, returning to a more simple life here. The Royal Academy, and the Royal Tomb nearby, were the only twodon't need two places on the moon outsiders were allowed now.

Straying from these areas, into the dense jungle beyond, would mean death.I didn't think this was a new paragraph No one except the ruling house of the Empire were permitted to see the face of a Dark Soul and live. The Izyack used this to their advantage by setting the Academy here. It was where the ruling class of the universe could safely send their children to school, to be taught by the best teachers from across the Congress, protected by a living, breathing ghost storyI like the idea but am finding it a bit wordy. His own daughter had been here for the past five years, since the first of his people had travelled amongst the stars and he was appointed ambassador to House FeiyenI think just saying since he arrived here as ambassador. The rest, perhaps, could come in later, if the reader really needs to know. .

Through the window Krall noticed a flash of darkness, a child-like cry accompanying a rustling in the undergrowth. One of the unseen Dark Soul had found its prey. They had populated their jungles with strange, limbless, reptile-like, creatures. Krall knew they were self-aware, that the Dark Soul only ever ate sentient life forms. If it weren’t for these creatures, they would be hunting each other. With prey that screamed like a baby, and a history of being bred as much for food as labour, it was no wonder the Izyack were vegetarian.totally lost me here, sorry. So, the Dark soul are in the jungle and they're semi sentinent because they eat people? so do they absorb their souls? And I didn't get the vegetarian connection - it sounded like the Izyack were the ones doing the eating. :confused:

Krall was distracted by a chime at the entrance to his room, but he didn’t take his eyes away from the window.

“Door.comma” Krall called out. He knew Feiyen’s nameless attendant was stood in the doorway, and wouldn’t come in until told. But Krall couldn’t stop watching.

“I wouldn’t have opened it if I didn’t want you to come in.,” Krall added, the attendant finallyi don't like finally - especially since it's not his last action. walking in and waiting patiently behind him. Outside, with another flash of darkness the leaves became still once more, a half eaten carcass now seen on the floor.On the floor or the ground? Now seen, possibly visible would be tighter.

“Emperor Feiyen says thatdon't need he is ready for you Ambassador.” Without evendon't need looking Krall knew she would have her head lowered in reverence.

“Good., I'll not mention them again” Krall responded as he turned to face the attendant. As she slowlydon't need raised her head Krall made eye contact, then allowed her to lead him out of the room, with only a cursory glance back at the darkness he hadn’t even seendoesn't work for me.

Krall was disappointed by the scarcity of ‘aliens’ as he entered the auditorium. Most of them looked no different to him, his fellow Derived Races. The large, black, pupil-less eyes of the Ferrend, and the external gills of the Laquiss were barely noticeable behind shaded glasses and shirts respectively. The Axon and Tarvell however had no distinguishing features, from each other or the Neabon. It was only the Izyack, the fifth of the Derived Races currently in the Universal Congress, that differed from the others.

Although their numbers were lower, the alieness of the Evolved Races didn’t disappoint. He could see the red and orange equine bodies of Schaylon all around, one race representing two separate nation-states. The red ones were from Schayluss, the sixth member of the Congress, while the orange ones were from the Greater Schaylon Empire, the only other faction in this sector of the universe, and the Congress’ ally.Now, I'm dizzy. One at a time. Let him talk to them, name them, come at me slower. Or preferably focus on one for this scene only.

All the other Evolved Races here, the eight foot mounds of muscle and hair that were the Yollen, the hard-shelled humanoid form of the Tooken, and the blank faces and slender silicone limbs of the Shockrell, were citizens of the Schaylon ruled G.S.E.switching off, eyes are glazing over.

The five Derived Races and the citizens of Schayluss were only six of the eight members of the Congress. The other two were not represented here, the Harggen and the Beilonthen don't tell me about them, not yet. I can't handle the ones that are there. . The Harggen, neither Evolved or Derived, were descended from Izyack and Tarvell cross-breeding and had no need of a Royal Academy, being the only true democracy in the universe.and by now my head is so full I've stopped taking it in. Sorry.

The Beilon were on the brink of extinction, and he’d never seen one in person. There were said to be less than a hundred left, the last of their soul being nursed to their grave by thousands upon thousands - I'd lose of sentient robots on their homeworld. Beilon lived long lives though, the youngest of the survivors had at least another couple of thousand years.

Emperor Feiyen entered the room and immediately made his way towards Krall. Like all Izyack, the Emperor had thick green-brown skin, and the main distinguishing feature of his race, the cutter. It lay in the middle of Feiyen’s forehead, four bony digits forming an ‘X’. The rest of the universe didn’t know what it was for, but many postulated it had something to do with their breeding rituals.this, on its own, I'd enjoy, but my attention has been lost in all the detail.

“Haemon.” Feiyen responded. Krall filled with pride every time he heard that word from the mouth of an alien Emperor. He had endured much to earn the position of Haemonbut I'd have liked to know about this. more than the aliens., now he was getting the rewards. “We’ll talk after the performance old friend.”

As the two of them they? took their seats, Krall remembered back to their first meeting. It had been almost twenty years since a young Krall had met Feiyen, the Emperor himself being first Izyack to land on Neabuerkauss for talks with their Haemons, proving that the Neabon were not alone in this universe.

It had been twenty years without the destruction and pillaging they had feared. Twenty years in which the Izyack had been preparing them for life in the universal community with gifts of technology, science and medicine. The Neabonn were now starting to colonise other worlds in their home system with Izyack ships. Their doctors had all but eradicated most diseases, and it had been the greatest twenty years in Neabon history.more information.... I'd have stopped reading by now.

In another ten, they would be ready to join the Congress. Then they would repay the Izyack for their help, by voting alongside the Ferrend and Laquiss to hand them control of the group, installing the deserved rulers of the universe to power. Currently the Tarvell ruled the Congress with the support of the Beilon and Harggen, Axon and Schayluss remaining neutral.

The last of the lights died down, Krall able to glimpse the deep black eyes of the Ferrend as the protective glasses were removed now it was darker. Two figures walked onto the stage, Krall’s daughter Taten and Zan’Tal Feiyen. Emperor Feiyen had never married so had no heir of his own, and it was his young nephew who would one say inherit his throne.

Krall smiled up at his daughter as he prepared to watch the show.a show sounds good - could it have been used to show some of the above? [/QUOTE]

Jammill, sorry, there was so much information in this, all one after the other, and I lost all sense of what was happening. In general, i think you could keep cutting. You are very precise with your screen writing, knowing you have to be tight or overrun, I think you could carry some of that over.

Following advice from the first critique, I've cut a HELL of a lot of superfluous words and descriptions, so much so that I can put the second scene of the first chapter up as well...

I've cut a lot from the second scene already, just by following the same advice for the first scene, but I'm thinking that even though I have cut a lot, its still a bit too info-heavy...

As always, I've moderated live-action writing groups before and I know you don't learn anything from people being nice, so be as truthful as you feel you need to be...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Jammill

Chapter I.

Haemon Krall paced uncomfortably up and down the overly-luxurious why overly-luxurious? luxurious is fine by itself imo room, keeping his eyes fixed on the intimidatingly large window. He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. Is he terrified of the Dark Soul or what lies outside of the Dark Soul? This - to someone who has no prior knowledge of your writing - is confusing This change 'This' to 'The' unless your character has experienced other universes?whole universe was.

Though Kaissell was a moon it was the Izyack homeworld, where his current host’s ancestors had lived as slaves. Emperor Feiyen had told him that the Izyack were set free over six million years ago. The vast planet Kaissell orbited was terraformed into a new home for them, and the Dark Soul brought an end to their own empire, returning to a more simple life here. The Royal Academy, and the Royal Tomb nearby, were the only two places on the moon outsiders were allowed now. Apart from the last sentence is there anything here I need to know right now? Imo please delete.

Straying from inhabited/terraformed/settled/secured? areas, into the dense jungle beyond, would mean death. No one except the members of the? (imo you need something here unless the ruling house is a single entity) ruling house of the Empire were permitted to see the face of a Dark Soul ('a' Dark Soul? I was thinking it was one thing. Are there many Dark Souls? and live. The Izyack used this to their advantage by setting the Academy here. It was where the ruling class 'of the universe' - delete this? could safely send their children to school, to be taught by the best teachers from across the Congress, protected by a living, breathing ghost story. His own daughter had been here for the past five years, since the first of his people had travelled amongst the stars and he was appointed ambassador to House Feiyen.

Through the window Krall noticed a flash of darkness, a child-like cry accompanying a rustling in the undergrowth. One of the unseen Dark Soul had found its prey. They had populated their jungles with strange, limbless, reptile-like, creatures. Krall knew they were self-aware, that the Dark Soul only ever ate sentient life forms. If it weren’t for these creatures, they would be hunting each other. With prey that screamed like a baby, and a history of being bred as much for food as labour, it was no wonder the Izyack were vegetarian.

I'm finding it confusing that you are using 'Dark Soul' as both singular and plural. Is there a reason for dropping the 's' to indicate more than one? If you have a good reason then go ahead - but imo it would need to be a v good reason.

“Door.” Krall called out. He knew Feiyen’s nameless attendant was get rid of 'was' - redundant stood in the doorway, and wouldn’t come in until told. But Krall couldn’t stop watching.

“I wouldn’t have opened it if I didn’t want you to come in.” Krall added, the attendant finally walking in and waiting patiently behind him. Outside, with another flash of darkness comma here the leaves became still once more, a half eaten carcass now seen on the floor. ?on the floor? If this is outside then shouldn't that read 'on the ground'?

“Emperor Feiyen says that he is ready for you Ambassador.” Without even looking Krall knew she would have her head lowered in reverence. ? why did he know that?

“Good.” Krall responded as he turned to face the attendant. As she slowly raised her head Krall made eye contact, then allowed her to lead him out of the room, with only a cursory glance back at the darkness he hadn’t even seen. ? This is a contradiction. And he has 'seen' the darkness - he just hasn't seen what's in the darkness. ?

************​

Krall was disappointed by the scarcity of ‘aliens’ just have aliens imo without inverted commas as he entered the auditorium. Most of them looked no different to him, his fellow Derived Races. The large, black, pupil-less eyes of the Ferrend, and the external gills of the Laquiss were barely noticeable behind shaded glasses and shirts respectively. The Axon and Tarvell however had no distinguishing features, from each other or the Neabon. It was only the Izyack, the fifth of the Derived Races currently in the Universal Congress, that differed from the others.

Although their numbers were lower, the alieness of the Evolved Races didn’t disappoint. He could see the red and orange equine are they centaurs btw? bodies of Schaylon all around, one race representing two separate nation-states. The red ones were from Schayluss, the sixth member of the Congress, while the orange ones were from the Greater Schaylon Empire, the only other faction in this sector of the universe, and the Congress’ ally.

All the other Evolved Races here, the eight foot mounds of muscle and hair that were the Yollen, the hard-shelled humanoid form of the Tooken, and the blank faces and slender silicone limbs of the Shockrell, were citizens of the Schaylon ruled G.S.E.

The five Derived Races and the citizens of Schayluss were only six of the eight members of the Congress. The other two were not represented here, the Harggen and the Beilon. The Harggen, neither Evolved or Derived, were descended from Izyack and Tarvell cross-breeding and had no need of a Royal Academy, being the only true democracy in the universe.

IMO not sure you need all this right now. I enjoyed the first round of descriptions with the Scheylons etc but now my attention is wandering and am tempted as a reader to skip the subsequent paras

The Beilon were on the brink of extinction, and he’d never seen one in person. There were said to be less than a hundred left, the last of their soul being nursed to their grave by thousands upon thousands of sentient robots on their homeworld. Beilon lived long lives though, the youngest of the survivors had at least another couple of thousand years.

Emperor Feiyen entered the room and immediately made his way towards Krall. Like all Izyack, the Emperor had thick green-brown skin, and the main distinguishing feature of his race, the cutter. It lay in the middle of Feiyen’s forehead, four bony digits forming an ‘X’. The rest of the universe didn’t know what it was for, but many postulated it had something to do with their breeding rituals.

“Haemon.” Feiyen responded. Krall filled with pride every time he heard that word from the mouth of an alien Emperor. He had endured much to earn the position of Haemon, now he was getting the rewards. “We’ll talk after the performance old friend.”

As the two of them took their seats, Krall remembered back to their first meeting. It had been almost twenty years since a young Krall had met Feiyen, the Emperor himself being first Izyack to land on Neabuerkauss for talks with their Haemons, proving that the Neabon were not alone in this universe.

It had been twenty years without the destruction and pillaging they had feared. Twenty years in which the Izyack had been preparing them for life in the universal community with gifts of technology, science and medicine. The Neabonn were now starting to colonise other worlds in their home system with Izyack ships. Their doctors had all but eradicated most diseases, and it had been the greatest twenty years in Neabon history.

again you are giving info that I'm not sure I can't gather gradually through actual dialogue and action.

Krall smiled up at his daughter as he prepared to watch the show.

I enjoyed most of this but there were times when you nearly lost me in the info drops. See - this is why I think you don't need them; if I was reading this in a novel I would most probably only skim read those chunks of info - so I wouldn't be taking it in anyway - so therefore they are wasted. Maybe try to only limit each info drop to just a couple of lines? Just add enough detail to colour the scene?

Thanks for the read though - most of it is good and enjoyable and there are a lot of things I'm interested to know more about.

Hi Jammill -- I spotted a couple of other things. The main one: 'was stood' -- it's dialect, I think. It gets used a lot around Leith in Edinburgh etc but it's not standard English.

“Door.” Krall called out. [like springs said, if you've got a dialogue tag like 'called out', the dialogue should end in a comma -- so "Door," Krall called out. While I'm in the area, I found 'Krall called' a bit strange-sounding] He knew Feiyen’s nameless attendant was stood [either 'was standing' or 'stood'] in the doorway, and wouldn’t come in until told. But Krall couldn’t stop watching.

“I wouldn’t have opened it if I didn’t want you to come in.” Krall added, the attendant finally walking in and waiting patiently behind him. [I'm not sure of the order of these events -- did the attendant walk in as Krall was speaking or after he spoke? or before?] Outside, with another flash of darkness the leaves became still once more, a half eaten carcass now seen on the floor. ['ground', I think. 'Floor' means inside to me]

“Emperor Feiyen says that he is ready for you[comma] Ambassador.” [Without even looking] Krall knew she would have her head lowered in reverence.

“Good[comma]” Krall responded as he turned to face the attendant. As she slowly raised her head Krall made eye contact [if it's 'as' she raised her head, he made eye contact while she was in the process of raising her head, not after she'd raised it -- is that what you meant?], then allowed her to lead him out of the room, with only a cursory glance back at the darkness he hadn’t even [don't like 'even'] seen.

Thanks for submitting, Jammill!

Chapter I.

Not sure if you want to throw this information at the reader in the beginning, as now they will be trying to figure out the origins of these new worlds and methods of tracking time.

Haemon Krall paced uncomfortably up and down the overly-luxurious room, keeping his eyes fixed on the intimidatingly large window. He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. This whole universe was.I'm personally leery of ending too many sentences on weak words such as 'was' and 'now', as you do in the following paragraph. Perhaps rearranging these sentences could give them more strength: "He wasn't the only one terrified of what lay outside: the Dark Soul." (Completely off the cuff, but the reshuffle ends your paragraph on a stronger note.

Though Kaissell was a moon it was the Izyack homeworld, where his current host’s ancestors had lived as slaves. Emperor Feiyen had told him that the Izyack were set free over six million years ago. The vast planet Kaissell orbited was terraformed into a new home for them, and the Dark Soul brought an end to their own empire, returning to a more simple life here. The Royal Academy, (too many commas)and the Royal Tomb nearby, were the only two places on the moon outsiders were allowed now.

Straying from these areas, Diversify some of your sentence structures with regards to commas. Here we have a four-word clause, then another four-word clause followed by a three-word clause. This kind of repetition isn't very exciting.into the dense jungle beyond, would mean death. No one except the ruling house of the Empire were permitted to see the face of a Dark Soul and live. The Izyack used this to their advantage by setting the Academy here. It was where the ruling class of the universe could safely send their children to school, to be taught by the best teachers from across the Congress, protected by a living, breathing ghost story. His own daughter had been here for the past five years, since the first of his people had travelled amongst the stars and he was appointed ambassador to House Feiyen.

Through the window Krall noticed a flash of darkness, a child-like cry accompanying a rustling in the undergrowth. One of the unseen Dark Soul had found its prey. They had populated their jungles with strange, limbless, reptile-like, creaturesAgain, a lot of commas. Maybe shift the sentence around so the adjectives don't need to be separated from the noun. Krall knew they were self-aware, that the Dark Soul only ever ate sentient life forms. If it weren’t for these creatures, they would be hunting each other. With prey that screamed like a baby, and a history of being bred as much for food as labour, it was no wonder the Izyack were vegetarian.

Just thought I'd look at the first few paragraphs as most of my other comments followed a similar theme.

Jammill, I don't crit longer pieces, so I've not read all this. You've have some excellent comments already so I'll just say one thing.

It took me several attempts to understand this: He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. This whole universe was.

I kept thinking 'this whole universe was what?' Until I realised it went with the terror bit. I'd want to fiddle with the punctuation a little so it flowed a little better and was more understandable to the slower members of the population. Like me. ;)

I only read the first part, but I have to say, I had to read it a few times to establish what was happening. I wasn't hooked, and I felt there was far too much of an info dump at the start. I think you can write though, and nothing really jarred me, so that's good.

The first section did not really work for me, there seem to be no point to it.

The second section was still a lot of telling rather than character POV, which made it heavy near the end of the section. The detailed alien races (individually, each was handled well) one after the other became muddled for me near the end. Too much too soon. There has been no plot development that I can see, just an introduction to the universe your creative mind is bringing to life. You have given me too much too soon and no reason to want this information.

Plot and storyline still comes to mind and this is what sparks my interest. Your writing has improved from what I can see, tight descriptions etc. You sadly forgot to give me a reason to want to know/read these descriptions – storyline & plot please. Frustrating as it’s very clear you have a great imagination.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and help so far... Before I get onto individual points I'll just address a few things that seem to keep coming up like its an FAQ...

Q - Why are there no multiples of certain races ?
A - Within the storyline almost all of the races were created by a single God altering their genetic structure and making them sentient... Every race is named after the first one of their kind created by the God Charun as a 'test subject', i.e. if Charun had created us we wouldn't be 'Humans' we'd be 'Adam'... The only exception in this story are the Harggen who weren't created by Charun (they are the only 'Descendant Race' in the story, as they are descended from Izyack/Tarvell cross-breeding), so there can be two Harggens as oppose to two Izyack, without an 's' at the end...

In retrospect, it is seeming a bit confusing in prose (in dialogue it is made clearer) so I'm gonna' have to look at writing it differently within the text... Using 'an Izyack' for one and 'the Izyack' for a group or race doesn't seem to be as clear as it should be...

Q - What are 'The Dark Soul' ?
A - The Dark Soul are a cannibalistic race who, millions of years before the Congress, were the most powerful of four factions that made up the 'Slaver Empire', the most vast nation to have ever existed that was not built by Charun himself... For a reason unknown to the other races, six million years ago the Dark Soul decided that they no longer deserved a place in the universe, freed all their slaves (causing the collapse of their allies within Slaver Empire), handed their own nation to the Izyack, and locked themselves off from the rest of the universe to hunt one another as food... All they left behind was the small colony on Kaissel, and a warning that, when the end of the universe was coming, they would return and hunt down all mortal life so only the Gods survive...

EVERY race in the universe knows about the Dark Soul, most of the 'Derived Races' were slaves to the Dark Soul and their allies, either being wholly ruled by them (the Izyack, the Ferrend, the Laquiss, the Neabon and the Tackmett), or suffered from being raided and prisoners taken to become slaves (ALL the other 'Derived Races', including ones that nave not risen into the wider universe yet, apart from the Axon)...

As they can phase themselves, their technology, and even entire star systems in and out of existence, nobody knows the true size of their empire, or has ever seen a Dark Soul properly (they are seen as hooded and robed figures, but their bodies underneath the robes are never phased in unless they want to be seen)... They are the most mysterious race in the universe (it is unknown if they are 'Evolved', 'Derived' or naturally occurring without Charun's involvement), and only the leaders of house Feiyen have ever seen one un-phased... The fact that the physically and technologically inferior Izyack refer to them as 'what we used to be' only adds to the mystique...

Even the 'Evolved Races', the equivalent of the 'Old Ones' in Babylon 5, are terrified of the Dark Soul and their promised return (they might be old, but they are still mortal, and will eventually end up 'on the menu' themselves)... Because of this, the Izyack constructed the Royal Academy in a 'safe zone' on Kaissel as an independent body, because even when Izyack has been at war, no force in the universe would dare to set foot on Kaissel without permission, thus protecting the future leaders of the universe who study there...

Q - Why is there so much F*****G information in one go ?
A - Because I decided to get it out there and then just carry on with the story - in hindsight a bad decision :) And don't worry, one that I will be changing...

**Just as a note, I am thinking of cutting the second bit out completely, and going straight from a re-written (and hopefully better) version of the first scene, straight into what is basically a school play that introduces the races, and the mythology of Charun, in a much more concise way that is all show... (One of the main characters is a young shape-shiffter who struggles to impersonate the Evolved races properly, and the Derived races, who apart from the Izyack are all identically human, just come onto the stage en-masse at the end as a single indistinguishable group, to underline their similarities and shared kinship)...**

Most of the points raised re: pacing and the distracting use of race names (so that it is unclear what I am talking about) are going to get worked on as per the comments above...

Kalador

22.11.1487bng (Before the New Galactic)Not sure if you want to throw this information at the reader in the beginning, as now they will be trying to figure out the origins of these new worlds and methods of tracking time.

I thought it was un-needed myself, but previous crits elsewhere have raised it as a problem when time is seen counting down in the dates without some mention of why (the date is given as it is seen from NOW, not at the time the events happened, the same way the Roman calender wasn't counting down towards the change from BC to AD, but that's how we write it now)... The events in the two novels cover the causes of the eventual defeat of the entire Congress by a new race (us, Earth is seen in the next novel during the dark ages, which occurs in 530ad/1477bng)...

Grimbear

Haemon Krall paced uncomfortably up and down the overly-luxurious why overly-luxurious? luxurious is fine by itself imo

It is meant to signify the culture-clash between the settled and almost regal Izyack, with the industrial-era culture of Neabuerkauss as they start to reach out into the wider universe... If it sits wrong in that sentence I can take it out, there are scenes set on both worlds and it can be seen easily enough without me having to reference it in internal monologue, I just wanted to get in there early but it CAN wait...

No one except the members of the? (imo you need something here unless the ruling house is a single entity) ruling house of the Empire were permitted to see the face of a Dark Soul

The ruling house IS a single entity, one of thirteen rival royal-houses that make up the Izyack Empire... I can change it to 'the Izyack emperor' as the plot centres around a rival house trying to replace House Feiyen and lead the Izyack, making the point I was going for with this, again with the trying to get it all in thing... I'll learn eventually :)

Krall was disappointed by the scarcity of ‘aliens’ just have aliens imo without inverted commas

It was meant to signify that most of the other races AREN'T alien to Krall, they look like him, worship the same god, and share the same language (or did at one point, all the races used to speak 'Chareen', evolving their own language over time, but had a shared common, though to some ancient, tongue once they encountered one another... Basically 'Chareen' is the equivalent of 'standard' in the Star Wars universe, it's what every race talks to one another, but to the Neabon it is like Latin or Sumerrian is to us)... Plus, even the physically divergent 'Evolved Races' were created by that same God, and are seen as fellow 'Sons of Charun' rather than an alien species...

Springs

He was terrified of what lay outside. Of the Dark Soul. This whole universe universe is a difficult to define term - planet, system,empire,galaxy? was.

I see what you mean with this, I would have rather gone with something about the 'known universe' (which contains two multi-empire nations, spanning millions of star systems and planets across multiple galaxies), but liked the emphasis of 'the whole' and 'this whole known universe was' didn't scan right to me, but I agree it does make a lot more sense...

totally lost me here, sorry. So, the Dark soul are in the jungle and they're semi sentinent because they eat people? so do they absorb their souls? And I didn't get the vegetarian connection - it sounded like the Izyack were the ones doing the eating.

I did loose ya... The lizards are semi-sentient (we learn that they are 'Ken' part of the Tooken, the Dark Soul's former ally in the Slaver Empire, who are a symbiotic species that merges these immobile creatures with non-sentient but mobile plant-based 'husk' bodies known as 'Took'), the Dark Soul are fully sentient and just a little bit messed up when it comes to diet, only ever eating sentient beings...

They don't 'absorb souls' or nothing though, they just take it upon themselves to rid the universe of any life not strong enough to fight them off, and have less time to do that if they're raising live-stock or planting crops, and they've gotta eat something... It all ties in with the war (against the Tooken) and the Izyack's own ultra-vegetarianism (because of watching the Dark Soul, and being their favourite food, they won't even kill plants... btw, the 'racist' term for an Izyack in storyline is 'mushroom-sucker' because they will only eat the spores and leave the actual fungus alive)...

Emperor Feiyen entered the room and immediately made his way towards Krall. Like all Izyack, the Emperor had thick green-brown skin, and the main distinguishing feature of his race, the cutter. It lay in the middle of Feiyen’s forehead, four bony digits forming an ‘X’. The rest of the universe didn’t know what it was for, but many postulated it had something to do with their breeding rituals.this, on its own, I'd enjoy, but my attention has been lost in all the detail.

Thanks :) This is the only bit of this section I'm keeping, describing Feiyen's nephew Zan'Tal who takes the joint-lead in the show alongside Krall's daughter...

Krall smiled up at his daughter as he prepared to watch the show a show sounds good - could it have been used to show some of the above.?

Hopefully most of the above, the show covers the Evolved races (because of the shapeshifter Lyse who is introduced alongside Taten Krall and Zan'Tal Feiyen), and introduces the 'Derived Races' as a homogonous group in one sentence, instead of two paragraphs explaining they look identical to one another :)

Hex

The vast planet Kaissell orbited was [had been??] terraformed into a new home for them [by whom?], and the Dark Soul brought an end to their own empire [okay so what's the Dark Soul? I thought it was the moon, but now it sounds like people and I'm really confused], returning to a more simple life here. The Royal Academy, and the Royal Tomb nearby,[so is Krall on the moon? No, because you talk of the planet as 'here' -- so how can the Academy and Tomb be 'nearby'?] were the only two places on the moon outsiders were allowed now.

The Dark Soul are a race, and they are the ones who terraformed the planet for the Izyack to settle... The Dark Soul settling 'here' was meant to mean on the moon NOT the planet, so the tomb and the school are still nearby... It is a badly written paragraph though, so its one I'm gonna try and clear up and separate mentioning two planetary-sized bodies in close proximity without naming the planet Kaissel is orbiting

(the planet, like all the home planets for Charun's races, is named after the race and just called 'Izyack' which I though would be slightly more confusing than the mess of a para above, given how I'm messing the naming of races up enough already)...

WOW... That was longer than the original post, and I didn't even touch on the grammar/punctuation stuff (I'm going with everyone's suggestion, my prose aint' the greatest, and I trust ALL the points are right)... I just prefer to do it all in one go... And I didn't forget Mouse, Bowler or RCGrant, there just weren't specific points or uncovered questions to respond to...

Thanks again for all your help so far, it has been a long long time since I wrote any prose at all, and everyone's assistance has been very useful...

Jammill

Hiya Jammill -- This is just my opinion, but I don't know how useful it is for you to tell us these details, because if it isn't coming across in your chapter, that's an issue, and you can't do this for every reader/ agent/ whoever.

The writing needs to stand by itself.

Just to echo Hex -- when critiquers says something like "What is this?" they're usually not looking for an answer from you, just pointing out that something isn't comprehensible so you need to address it. The temptation is always there to explain things, and I've done it myself, but it's only really useful if you then go on to ask follow up questions, ie "The history behind it is [blah] -- do you think I need to include that?" or "How do you think I should phrase this?" Anything else is pretty much otiose and has the disadvantage that if one replies at length, it's actually a lot of stuff to wade through which can put people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.