"Did that thing really sink?"

Not intentional, my friend. I apologise for the unintended insult.

P.S. Saw you called England a peninsula. Do you mean it's just an insignificant bit of land sticking out south of Scotland?

Ahem - in terms of area, it's the other way around. Scotland covers (approx) 30,000 square miles, England covers 50,000. And they both look down on Wales, with a measly 8,000 sq.m.

So if you were being jingoistic, you could justifiably claim that Wales and Scotland were both insignificant bits of mainly barren land sticking out north and west of England. But most of us that live down here wouldn't dream of being so rude about our neighbours. No, we really wouldn't. Not at all. Wouldn't cross our minds.

Oh, and there was me thinking they were all subsidaries of Northern Ireland.* :p Hard luck, guys. :D

*Square footage of an English-agricultural-style-farm-field. (I'm sure somewhere there is one that's equivalent.)

@Ace, there's people who don't believe in Nessie? *shudders*

... BLAIR WITCH PROJECT? ...

But this still stands as a classic internet marketing success of a movie, persuading people to think it was a real documentary. Watched as reality, it would have been really scary, I think. I only saw it after I knew it wasn't real, and of course that made all the difference.

But Blair Witch Two was scary ...

I referred to England as a peninsula (erroneously - but close enough for jazz) because it isn't completely surrounded by water, Scotland and Wales get in the way.

Great Britain and Ireland are islands - England is not.

Yes, Springs. Hard as it is to believe, some misguided souls think Nessie is a myth.

Nessie isn't a myth, she works for the Scottish tourist board.

just on another note, there is a new tourist attraction opened in Belfast about the Titanic. I was very dubious, you know, that they might trivialise it, but it was actually very good, and very moving, even to the kids. (although I suspect 10 and below didn't really grasp it.) And it was very good about how it was built etc.

It did, however, state very clearly that the ship did, in fact, sink.

You want to try living in Southampton - we're suffering from terminal Titanicophilia. New museum, guided walks, shop-window displays, Edwardian reinactors, cruises to the fatal spot...
All we're lacking is an iceberg moored in the harbour.

Yep -- I walked into Waterstones (both of them) on Saturday and shelf after shelf after shelf...

And isn't that an iceberg moored on West Quay Road? Oops. My mistake, it's the De Vere Grand Harbour... :D

Nessie does exist, Metryq. She's a bit shy, though and has a nasty habit of eating witnesses when she can't get wild haggis.

Right, the photos of her taken by Bigfoot are alleged to be the best, only Chupacabra ate them. Bigfoot took the precaution of standing in a crop circle because he knew Nessie would not cross the flattened grass. (The magnetic radiation from the time traveling UFOs acts as cryptasaur bane.) Unfortunately, this did nothing to stop ol' goat sucker—who had eaten all the haggis, too.

It has caused an interesting reaction, though. They recreated the grand staircase, and have put it in the function room, which means the plebs can't get to see it, but the rich'uns who can afford to hire it can, and this at an attraction where part of the tragedy was that class made a distinction. There's been quite a hoo ha about it.

And before anyone asks, no of course I didn't get to see it. Lowest of the low, we were, locals, not famous with *shudders* kids, at a tourist attraction. Imagine.

All we're lacking is an iceberg moored in the harbour.

I hope they don't bring in a berg, Py. I wouldn't want to have to become Floe Bear whenever I visited Southampton (particularly anywhere near the docks, given Flaubert's reputation...).

Um, it's belfast, and it's annoyed the locals... iceberg's are the least of their worries. (I'm joking btw, I'm allowed to, I'm a local...)

Ahh that's what happened - here was me thinking Nessie did it. The locals in Belfast took the plug out it wasn't an Iceberg :)

Its not icebergs I'd worry about in Belfast, checking under the seats for bombs before starters would be a good idea!

Function room lost with all hands, not a single prawn cocktail left!

I have a picture of a big round cake with one fizzing candle that the bride and groom (in the function room of course) are unable to blow out once lit!