Fictional religion

The turning towards the light? As the expression of deity?

Surely, light = good and dark = bad is one of those instinctive dualisms we humans just love. And was 'invented by'/'made part of' our gods. (i.e. whether they exist or whether we have invented them.)

It would have become more important
1) When agriculuture was being figured out - i.e. Sun is great for our crops
2) In the Northern Hemisphere where a great deal of landmass has to deal with four seasons in extreme.

If you look at religions coming from near the equator - aren't Rain gods more important?

Surely, light = good and dark = bad is one of those instinctive dualisms we humans just love. And was 'invented by'/'made part of' our gods. (i.e. whether they exist or whether we have invented them.)

It would have become more important
1) When agriculuture was being figured out - i.e. Sun is great for our crops
2) In the Northern Hemisphere where a great deal of landmass has to deal with four seasons in extreme.

If you look at religions coming from near the equator - aren't Rain gods more important?

Sure, and that's what makes it interesting. Then you start developing it, because darkness is not the opposite, but the lack of light, etc?

Sure, and that's what makes it interesting. Then you start developing it, because darkness is not the opposite, but the lack of light, etc?

Get you. Another template for development

BTW (for everyone) - have you read the The God Issue of New Scientist? (it came out about 3-4 weeks ago, if you want I can dig out the exact date and the actual article titles if anyone is interested). Some interesting findings and thoughts on this subject - particularly the results of people looking at naive or 'natural' religon and the difference between this and more formal theology.

It is the scientists view of it all of course, but also good for development of new religions I think.

Get you. Another template for development ... BTW (for everyone) - have you read the The God Issue of New Scientist? (it came out about 3-4 weeks ago, if you want I can dig out the exact date and the actual article titles if anyone is interested) ...

Thanks VB. Yes, please do

It was the 17th March issue

On the web the main articles that made up the discussion are at:

http://www.newscientist.com/special/god

And has 5 articles:

'We are all born believers', 'Religion is the key to civilisation', 'Science won't loosen Religion's grip', 'God is a testable hypothesis' and Alain de Botton's religion for atheists'

Unfortunately they are more or less locked to read unless you are a subscriber (although I think you can take out a free 30 day web pass to have access to the site.)

I do have a subscription, so RJM - give us a mail if you (cough, cough) have difficulties and would like to read them.

I don't think we have enough emoticons, as we don't appear to have sly (probably illegal) winking smiley.

A story must be based on a philosophy. And its quality is the quality of its philosophy.

My solution to this riddle has always been to make religion (Govt) mandated, though that may not work so well with such an undeveloped culture. I suppose I am more curious as to how atheists find that their characters need religion, but not the writers? Noto get into it too much, but I wonder if you realize the difference between religion and spiritual beliefs? No matter. That is not the purpose here. Back to your story: I would go with the natural basis. It worked in Avatar and seems very natural with societies in this stage of development.