SF book with an alien martial art - Help?

TrueLokill

Hey guys, first post here as I stmbled onto this forum in my desperation.

This thing has been eating at me for hours!

I'm trying to remember the name of a book I read some years back about a guy, I think he was an assassin, who learned this weird martial art from an alien race that disappeared (the whole 'sideways into the sun' thing). I remember the books taking place after the aliens have disappeared.

Remember that he was taught taekwondo as a child but was no match for the aliens. As I remember it, over the course of the book (books? possible omnibus) he got better and better until at the end he learned how to follow the aliens to where-ever it was that they went.

Also the phase 'ghost' is stuck in my head, don't know if that was his moniker in the book or if i've just absorbed it from the internet in my so far fruitless search.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is driving me nuts. I think I have this trilogy. The main character was the son of the human ambassador to the aliens, who used an odd rock to allow them to walk through walls, turn invisible, etc. He learned the art while he was a teenager, then war broke out. He ended up being some sort of special forces operative with the magic stone.
I remember being REAL unhappy with the ending of the trilogy.

Yes! thats the one!

I also though I had it but its gotten lost in successive house moves.
I thought it was a omnibus I had, glad to know that much wasn'y my imagination.

I was also deeply unsatisfied by the ending :p

Hi! This sounds like a really good series, just what I'm looking for :) Did either of you guys manage to find out what it was called?

Thank you :)

(I got to the bottom of the thread and just about screamed in frustration when the name wasn't revealed :p)

Could it be the Paratwa trilogy by Christopher Hinz - Liege-Killer, Ash Ock and The Paratwa?

Nah - that's about assassins who have one mind shared by two bodies - resulted from experimentation with telepathic bacteria. There was a really cool energy whip weapon,\.

First two were pretty good. If you read the third one, I recommend that after you reach the culmination (good guys win, bad guys lose), you then close the book, and recite "And he lived happily ever after." You'll be happier than if you actually read the conclusion.

Back