Hello, I'm new to the forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by starfyre7, Mar 15, 2012.

starfyre7

starfyre7 New Member

Hello, I'm Starfyre7 and I am new to this forum. I am a proud owner of a kindle who reads at least 8 books a week, and have no other major hobbies.
    Abernovo

Abernovo Accident-prone, allegedly

Welcome to the Chrons, starfyre.
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

A warm welcome to the Chrons, Starfyre. :)
    starfyre7

starfyre7 New Member

Thanks. By chance, is either of you one of the people who helps people in the book search subforum? That is how I found this site originally, though I think that I will be using it for more than that now.
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

I don't think that's down to anyone in particular. Lots of people look at queries posted there and, if they know the answer, they reply.

I think I've only ever been able to help one person. :eek:
    springs

springs Juggling life

One more than me, Mosaix:eek:
    We all look at it, and I for one scratch my head a lot.

You're very welcome; enjoy.
    Aaron Stone

Aaron Stone ...Enfyre Anwatter

Though I have not been here long myself - a warm welcome!
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Warren_Paul

Warren_Paul Banishment this world!

I share this sentiment. Most of the time people are looking for books that predate my reading knowledge by a good 10-15 years. So I do a lot of head scratching too. I do attempt google searches based on what they have given, but never come up with anything.

Welcome to the Chrons
    Abernovo

Abernovo Accident-prone, allegedly

Starfyre, I had a look at your post in Book Search.

It was frustrating, because it actually sounded familiar, for once. The problem is I can't place it. One thing I discounted, but will mention now, just in case, is the Earthsea books by Ursula K leGuin. The problem is, not enough similarities. Worth a read, anyway.

However, fear not! There are wiser and better read members than I who frequent that sub-forum. Still, if the title comes to me (normally at 3 o'clock in the morning), I will post a suggestion. Good luck with the search and, in the meantime, you can always wander around the rest of the site and join in the fun (and if you're of the writing inclination, there's the 75 Word Challenge in Aspiring Writers). :)
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

With a short period here we should be able to reduce that "eight books a week" figure; how on Earth do you succeed in paying for them, if you've got enough time to read that many (possible solutions that come to mind:- 1: You have downloaded all the free books available on the Web {that's no complaint, by the way; so have I} 2:Your job pays you for boredom rather than activity{like driver on the totally automated Jubilee line} 3: You speed read {for shame!} 4: You have put into your Kindle books that you had already read in dead tree version, so they take less time 4: you live in Connecticut but commute to work in NY…)

Sorry; I'm more SF than fantasy, and I'm pretty certain I've never read your dragon amulet book; and I've got a pretty good record for recognising authors and titles from strange flashes of memory. While I've never been able to maintain your present reading rate, I am capable of quite intensive bursts, and I've been doing it for a long time. I'm quite certain this site prevented my bankruptcy by taking up such a high percentage of my time that my reading speed dropped to a book a week, and persuading me to start writing.

So, what books are you absorbing at that speed off your eInk screen? It just helps us tailor suggestions to your individual tastes, enlarging your TBR selection by leaps and bounds…

So, what are you
    starfyre7

starfyre7 New Member

Thanks to all of you who have replied here and/or looked at my book search post. I have read the earthsea cycle (borrowed it from a library), it is unfortunately unavailable for kindle and I cannot read it currently. As for how I pay for my kindle books (I do get mostly paid books), it is a secret (but perfectly acceptable and legal) method (loophole) to get all of the books for free (at least at my reading rate).
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Hello and welcome along - I'm afraid I too could not place your beak search... sorry! :eek:
    Michael01

Michael01 Coven of the Worm

Hi, Starfyre. Wow...eight books a week? I don't read anywhere near that much, and I really love to read! Good to have you here. Hope you like it!