Megan Lindholm

Discussion in 'Robin Hobb' started by spider from mars, Mar 9, 2012.

spider from mars

spider from mars New Member

Anyone read any of Hobb's Megan Lindholm books? Any good? Love Hobb, but not sure if I'm into the tone of the Lindholm books.
    SPH Young

SPH Young New Member

I've read the first two of the Ki and Vandien quartet. I enjoyed them. The writing and themes explored make it very much embryonic Hobb in my opinion. Just don't expect anything as heart wrenching as 'The Farseer Trilogy'.
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

I thought "Wolf's Brother" was very good. Probably the best fictional depiction of shamanism I've read.

Oddly, I've never been able to get into any of her Robin Hobb books.
    SPH Young

SPH Young New Member

Wolf's brother is high on the list. Sometimes though, I feel I have to keep myself from reading and rereading nothing but Hobb/Lindholm.

My other great love is bushcraft/primitive living skills, so I'm guessing this story would be right up my alley?
    HareBrain

It's not quite "bushcraft" since the people are very much organised around their reindeer herds, but primitive living certainly, and it reads as very well-researched to me. (BTW, "Wolf's Brother" is a direct sequel to "The Reindeer People", but I didn't read the first one and didn't find any trouble keeping track of it.)
    SPH Young

SPH Young New Member

Is it based around any particular culture, or is it purely fantasy?
    HareBrain

The Lapps, I think, or very similar.
    SPH Young

SPH Young New Member

Books arrived the other day. Managed to get the last two Ki and Vandien books, and Alien Earth along with them. Had to pay a bit for the Ki and Vandien books due to the rarity, but nothing that broke the bank. Same as if bought new really.

I may be giving them to grandparents who are lost for what to get me for Chistmas though, as my book pile is getting a little silly now (yes, it really is getting that tall).