Writing Workshop Group - TOEGTW Discussion: Please Read First Post

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Workshop on The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing by Thomas S Kane

Please Read This Post First

This is the discussion thread for the workshop on the above named book. The workshop originator (WO) is responsible for the organisation of the workshop. The WO is unlikely to be an authority on the subject; after all he/she is trying to learn as well. The WO is ONLY the organiser.

All are welcome to join this workshop but it is probably best to join at the beginning rather than half way through.

Initially please post NO discussions here but post your intention of taking part and roughly when you would expect to receive the book (assuming you haven’t got it yet).

When you have the book please post that fact.

When everyone who has posted their intention of taking part and has indicated that they have the book the WO will post to announce the discussion on the first chapter/section open. Please understand that some people on the forum may have to wait longer than others for books to be delivered.

Discussion of a chapter will continue for a week. Please only discuss the current or preceding chapters. Whilst that discussion takes place you may post your submission for the exercises associated with that chapter but please post no reviews of those exercises until everyone has submitted or the week has elapsed. On occasion the exercises may be considered too large or otherwise inappropriate for this forum and this discussion may then include ideas for more appropriate exercises. Once review has started on the submission, a week will be given for the review before the next chapter discussion is opened. This should give two weeks spent on each chapter.

The exercise submission thread is here. Please ensure you read the first post of that thread.

It is not obligatory to do the exercises, though you are likely to get much more from the workshop if you do. If you are not going to do the exercise please post to that effect so we all know.

Note on timings. Particularly on this first attempt at these workshops the timings will be considered flexible. In other words let’s see how long we actually need for each chapter. Remember some people have less time and/or naturally work more slowly than others. Also we may find some chapters need to be given more time than others.

My copy should (d.v.) be here in ten days or so.

I have ordered the book, it has been dispatched and is expected to be delivered on the 10th (which is a Sunday, so probably the 11th)

WooHoo!
The book is now chugging through Dymock's automated book depository, and the book-bots expect to have it to me within 2-4 days standard Earth time.
I'm very excited about this. I may even, yes, I think I will have another...
WooHoo!

The new Oxford guide to writing /

by Kane, Thomas S .

Is this the same book? I can get it from my library and would love be a part of the workshop.
Thanks...

I ordered it so however long it takes to get here from New York. Between 6-12 days. I got the new edition in the end (found it on ebay), hope that doesn't mess things up.

I was just able to download the book in PDF format and I read the first chapter.
I'm a bit dismayed to see the author state that fiction will get less attention than other forms of writing. Should this concern me? I don't seek a workshop on how to construct persuasive essays for a college lit class. (?)

TL I'm pretty sure there is not much difference between the two other than title!

For me at least I don't think the focus away from fiction is too critical I feel the need to get the foundations in place first and then if successful I'd like to repeat the exercise with a more targeted book on creative writing possibly specific to SF&F. When I was looking around at books the ones I saw focusing on this side of things seemed to skip these foundations.

Why not get it from the library and see how it goes? Remember it's really creative writing that we are all interested in here, so we at least will naturally give it that bias in our discussions.

Thanks Vertigo. I should be able to pick up early next week.
Meanwhile I can use the online copy. So...

I've been thinking about the timing of this workshop and I'm a little concerned. The book contents show 33 chapters and at 2 weeks per chapter that is going to take 66 weeks. I suspect that is rather a long time to maintain enthusiasm!

I do not want to go into general discussion on this right now, but I thought that maybe when you post to say you have the book, you could also state how long you would like the workshop to last: 3 months, 6 months etc.

If, for example, most want to do it in 6 months then I would suggest that we combine 2 chapters in each 2 week 'session'.

As I said, let's not go into massive discussion of this right now but simply state your preference when posting that you have the book.

Had ordered the book some days back and expect to receive it by today (mon 12th march). Regarding the duration of the workshop, I think 6 months sounds reasonable... Like vertigo says, anything longer might lead to people dropping out.

Back