Is there a Philatelist in the house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alex The G and T, Mar 5, 2012.

Alex The G and T

Alex The G and T Thar! That Blows.

I found myself as custodian for my great grandfather's stamp collection. an album ca. the size and shape of an Webster's unabridged.

I'm getting some pressure from family to make some sort of assessment therof.

I haven't the faintest idea how to begin.

The term "philatelist" sounds so filthy, that I'm half afraid to be caught in a websearch "seeking Philatelist." };-}

About the only reason I know the term is that "Philatelist tongs" were an euphemism for "Roach Clip" in head shops, back in the day; though it was never clear why a philatelist would want a tongs with a pot leaf shaped handle.

Mostly what I've found online are people offering instruction books, and catalogs for sale.
    springs

springs Juggling life

Alex, we are in the exact position at the moment, and we contacted the local society who are sending someone local out to assess them for us. Their advice so far is pre 1950 are the most collectable.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

You may get people who think you particularly like artists' studios and workshops**, I suppose.

** - Ateliers
    Alex The G and T

Alex The G and T Thar! That Blows.

Good idea, thanks. I live in an isolated, rural area and consider it unlikely that we have many local experts; but if I contact an organization in The City, maybe they can make a recommendation.

I'd hate to walk in, ignorant, to a dealer; or leave the thing with an appraiser of unknown repute.