What's your favourite animated movie?

"Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within", "Spirited away" & "Akira" have always remained firm favourites in my DVD collection.

Another cel animated feature is The Secret of Kells, a true feast for the eyes rich in folklore and history. (I love the segment with Aisling's Song.)

I saw this over the weekend. Surely has to be one of the most beautiful animations ever made, if not the most. Loved every minute.

The one thing that jarred with me was that Aisling seemed to be pronounced "Ashleigh". That might in fact be accurate, but when she introduced herself I almost laughed with incredulity.

The one thing that jarred with me was that Aisling seemed to be pronounced "Ashleigh". That might in fact be accurate, but when she introduced herself I almost laughed with incredulity.

Quite right, too. One of my kids has the second name Aisling, and it's Ash-lean, with a tiny emphasis giving an -ng sound at the end.

Mulan - we have it, my kids love it, it's one of their favs.

I have, given the age of the kids, spent a lot of time in the cinema at cartoons over the last lot of years, and these are ones that have been big hits:

Up. (although we all cried at the first 10 minutes)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBQYAE-pMk&feature=related
Ice Age 3.
Lion King (pre kids but some of the sequences were brilliant in the cinema)
Tangled.

We're looking forward to Brave, too.

Last edited:
Quite right, too. One of my kids has the second name Aisling, and it's Ash-lean, with a tiny emphasis giving an -ng sound at the end.

Actually, watching the clip Metryq linked to, I can now hear the "ng". I'm sure I would have heard it in the first place if I'd seen the name written down before I'd watched the film.

My favourite is Bakshi's Lord of the Rings , even with it's many faults.

Love Mulan, my favourite Disney. I do like parts of the Toy Story series as well as Finding Nemo.

Favorite of all time? Laputa (renamed Castle in the Sky when released in the US) by Miyazaki.

Honorable mention to The Secret of NIMH by Don Bluth.

One of my modern favorites is Tangled.

I love animated film. I have several favorites, but the absolute number one is Princess Mononoke. Other good ones include Toy Story, Fox & the Hound, Fantasia, Wall-E, Rango, The Illusionist, My Neighbor Totoro and Coraline.

The Iron Giant has already been mentioned, but deserves more praise.

I love most of Pixar's films, and it's hard to choose favourites, but The Incredibles would just pip Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo and Wall-E for me.

I dislike the majority of Dreamwork's output, but How To Train Your Dragon was superb. Other CG-animated films I like are Meet the Robinsons, Monster House and Despicable Me. Tangled was also quite good.

For traditional Disney, it's hard to beat Beauty and the Beast. As a child I loved Robin Hood, and still kinda do, though it hasn't aged that well. I adore Lilo and Stitch, and am a big fan of Aladdin and Mulan.

From an all-time childrens' classic book!

I bought this film recently, having never seen it before, and it is really interesting.

Didn't care for the movie as an adult but loved the book when I read it in 3rd grade. Re-read it to my girls about 8 years ago.

My favorite animated movies?

Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
(I'm not sure why I like these movies but when they are on I'm just drawn to the story)
Hoodwinked

my favourites are Batman:Mask of the Phantasm, Batman:Under the Red Hood, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Dragon Ball(all the movies), Toy Story

street fighter alpha the animated movie....was my favorite the fighting scene was amazing

my favourites are Batman:Mask of the Phantasm, Batman:Under the Red Hood, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Dragon Ball(all the movies), Toy Story

i think the toy story was not an animated movie,its a 3d movie

i think the toy story was not an animated movie,its a 3d movie

Pixar's TOY STORY is "animated" because it moves. You're running into other semantic problems, as well. These days "3D" might mean a stereoscopic movie with the illusion of depth. Many computer generated movies are also stereoscopic.

Traditional animation is most frequently done with "cels," sheets of plastic with painted figures and stacked into layers to create a scene. The bulk of Disney history is cel animation. When TOY STORY and several other Pixar movies became blockbuster hits, the industry erroneously switched away from cel animation on the premise that CGI (computer generated imagery) was Pixar's secret.

Today, some producers may still be using cel animation, but compositing all the elements together digitally. Or they may bypass the plastic cels and create "digital cels" (2D images, illustrations) directly in the computer.

Most 3D packages these days can render 3D models with a 2D "cel shader" that looks very much like old fashioned painted cels. Many movies use a mixture of computer generated and hand-drawn art. THE SECRET OF KELLS is a relatively recent example.

Animation can created in other ways, too, such as stop-motion. The Wallace & Gromit series is an especially fine example of this.

There's a lot of technology out there, some of it very old and some of it very new. Some new technology is really a recycling of older techniques. What matters most is the story.

I can't pick just one but the top of my list are: Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Secret of NIMH, Heavy Metal, How to Train Your Dragon and Sword in the Stone.