Discussion 75 Word Challenge -- MARCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I recommend Angela Carter's 'Wise Children' as an exceptional novel , particularly for those who enjoy vaudeville, Shakespeare or (indeed) magical realism. Quite short in length, but immensely satisfying.

I'm adding that to my list of things I need to read -- that's a tantalizing description! :)

Teresa, you have undoubtedly broken the curse. I don't think anybody has ever posted a theme and then actually come up with a story by the next day! I wonder, does it extend to all winners now?

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, TDZ,

Well , I'm posted - couldn't sleep until I had!

My take on it is that uncanny = unusual , whilst magical realism = the extraoridinary made to appear ordinary. In my mind the subject and genre seem to fit together rather nicely.

I can now sit back and enjoy the entries as they come in. Some great ones already,

Howdy,
I wanted to title my story after the Elvis tune in G I Blues, I thought it was "Musi Din", couldn't find anything. Being as how English is difficult for me and I have no second language all I could find was "Wooden Heart". Any help ?
Thanks,
Bob

Grins

"Wooden Heart (Muss I Denn)" is a song best known for its use in the 1960 Elvis Presley film G.I. Blues.
"Wooden Heart", created by Fred Wise, Ben Weisman, Kay Twomey and German bandleader Bert Kaempfert, was based on a German folk song by Friedrich Silcher, "Muss i' denn zum Städtele hinaus", originating from the Rems Valley in Württemberg, Southwest Germany. "Wooden Heart" features several lines from the original folk song, written in the German Swabian dialect, spoken in Württemberg. The Elvis Presley version was published by Gladys Music, Elvis Presley's publishing company.

See? No problem.

Thanks Chris,
I have a German-English dictionary around here somewhere, could probably have found it by Christmas, this was easier. So consider the title of my story to be "Muss I Denn"

Danke Schon

Whoa. Just had an idea, typed it out, thought "ah, this is too long" and checked the word count -- 75 words exactly! Made me laugh out loud.

Love the uncanny, too. A very interesting topic.

Also, I know, I fail and keep doing so. The ends of the months slip past me so quickly (especially wily February) as it's just a certain time that gets busy every month. But eh. Must Try Harder.

But congratulations to Bob on a magnificent battle, and to Teresa for her win. Oh, and thanks to everyone who mentioned my story last month, I did manage to see a few and they raised a smile.

Also, I know, I fail and keep doing so. The ends of the months slip past me so quickly (especially wily February) as it's just a certain time that gets busy every month. But eh. Must Try Harder.

No February-esque excuses this full-sized month. And you already admit to being in possession of a full-word-count story.

On the same day, you mean!

It may have been within the first twenty-four hours, but it was the second day for me, since midnight was still many hours off here when I started the thread.

Anyway, I thought the curse was a story that no one voted for the next month. I'll be proud to be in such illustrious company.

That will teach me I woke up with a title in my head that would have seriously changed my story lol I'll try it out when it is all over :)

All very good posts going up, with ages yet to the closing date. I need all the luck of the Irish I can muster......

It may have been within the first twenty-four hours, but it was the second day for me, since midnight was still many hours off here when I started the thread.

Anyway, I thought the curse was a story that no one voted for the next month. I'll be proud to be in such illustrious company.

Well, it was the second day for me, so I figured it was for you, too. :)

I thought the curse was setting the theme and then not being able to come up with any ideas! But the vote thing might be the case, as well -- I'd have to go back and take a look at that. Maybe it's a twofold curse.

If it's both, then it's nice to know that I managed to get past the first part.

The last six months or so, I've struggled to come up with any ideas at all. I thought that this month it would be the same. So I guess I've overcome my own personal curse, too.

In the first few months of the Challenge, I used to come up with two or three stories a month before deciding which one I wanted to use. Now I'm glad when I am able to write one.

Status
Not open for further replies.