Manipulating the Future through the Past

Discussion in 'Book Search' started by peterbradford, Feb 18, 2012.

peterbradford

peterbradford New Member

I'm trying to find a book I read decades ago in which a group of people discover that for years the government has been going back into the past and arranging that certain events--and specifically, people--do happen. For example, I believe in "reality" Adolf Hitler died well before reaching adulthood; similarly Gengis Khan. In the "present" that the government has created, they and others grow to adulthood and wreak the havoc that we now know to be fact. As a by-product, life is tougher, harder and people more belligerent than they would otherwise have been.
    The group succeeds in overthrowing the government and reversing the process…the rest of the story I'll not reveal.
    Ideas anyone?
    PaulMmn

PaulMmn New Member

Has strong overtones of Asimov's "The End of Eternity."
    --Paul E Musselman
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

I wondered about that Paul, about seems like there's too many things that don't fit. I don't seem to recall anything about Hitler in it for example. Also the "authorities" in that book were creating (or trying to create) a utopian existence rather than a tougher harder one.
    zaltys13

zaltys13 Member

It sounds like "lightning" by Dean R Koontz, give or take a few of the plot details.

I am very unsure though. :(

Might as well give us the details, peterbradford, maybe a better chance of success then!
    reiver33

reiver33 Only Forward

I'm afraid that book no longer exists, and never did...
    Metryq

Metryq Cave Painter

+1 Reiver33 :)
    High Eight

High Eight Boggart

Silverberg's Up The Line?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_the_Line
    thetruecipher

thetruecipher New Member

Lightning?

Publisher: Berkley
    Number Of Pages: 368
    Publication Date: 1989-05-01
    ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0425115801
    ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780425115800
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I'm now reading this because of this thread.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Hmmm! I liked the book but it was odd - Dean Koontz himself acknowledges the problems he had getting it published - since the first quarter takes place during the lead character's childhood, while the rest is cross-genre in science fiction, romance and thriller, and that suspense and humour are not supposed to mix.

I'd rather they were not Nazis. Nazis are much too over-used.

Anyway the real reason for this post was to note the similarity with the film T2: Terminator - Judgement Day. Laura and Chris Shane felt an awful lot like Sarah and John Connor to me!
    peterbradford

peterbradford New Member

That's not it, Paul. But looking at the plot I certainly think "The End of Eternity" needs a re-read!
    peterbradford

peterbradford New Member

No, my story pre-dates Koontz by at least a quarter-century. Probably early 60s.
    peterbradford

peterbradford New Member

peterbradford

peterbradford New Member

OK, here's more detail on the plot:

*Spoiler Alert*

As I mentioned, A group of "do-gooders" find that for years the government has been going back into the past and arranging that certain events--and specifically, people--do happen. For example, I believe in "reality" Adolf Hitler died well before reaching adulthood; similarly Gengis Khan. In the "present" that the government has created, they and others grow to adulthood and wreak the havoc that we now know to be fact. As a by-product, life is tougher, harder and people more belligerent than they would otherwise have been. The group succeeds in overthrowing the government and killing-off the "miscreants" and sets about reversing the process, restoring our world to its original peaceful, placid place, inhabited by people full of love and bearing no malice....then they discover an approaching alien armada, and we Earthlings roll-over and are unable to resist the attack. The former government had detected the fleet much earlier and THAT was the reason they had worked so hard to make the world the way it was--full of us toughies and meanies :) Nice plot, I thought.

I believe it was a Short Story or Novella, and published no later than the 60s.