The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

Why should he? Song is a meal ticket that will last forever. A proven winner of a story idea that he could leave to other authors, like Robert Jordan. I'd not be anxious to end it myself, were I him.

I would want to finish it myself. As something of an artist (though not with words, clearly) I would be very disapointed if someone were to finish a piece that I had started

I have the feeling GRRM would extent the series to 8 books and not just seven.

I have the feeling GRRM would extent the series to 8 books and not just seven.

I have that feeling, though I don't think he is going to do it intentionally, I think it will be a consequence of either himself or his editor not being able to reign him in. I just hope the books start coming in closer succession

I have that feeling, though I don't think he is going to do it intentionally, I think it will be a consequence of either himself or his editor not being able to reign him in. I just hope the books start coming in closer succession

We all have that feeling that it is going to take more than 2 books to wrap this up. I just dread to think about it most of the time.

Let's be honest, with just two books, everything is going to look rushed. I like the entire concept of "Seven Gods, seven books, etc.".

But, let's see what we have:

-Dorne's rebellion.
-Problems in King's Landing regarding the religions starting to get upset.
-Lady Stoneheart plot.
-Aegon's arrival at Westeros.
-Daenerys coming back to her city and finally deciding to reach Westeros.
-The plot regarding the Others.
-Stannis Baratheon and his fight for the Throne.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Sure, it can be ended in two books, but I feel it might be too rushed. Too many characters to give them an appropiate ending.

I was thinking that maybe, the delay, is actually in some way planned, it works for the anticipation, the plot theories, the re-reads. (In which case I would expect the book out before, season 6 of the TV show, with no big spoilers in season 5)

Once we all get to read Jon Snow's first few chapters of The Winds of Winter, does a big chunk of the guessing and theories go out the window, and by the end of the book, their could be very few plot points to debate, with A Dream of Spring, just dealing with the end game?

Let's be honest, with just two books, everything is going to look rushed. I like the entire concept of "Seven Gods, seven books, etc.".

But, let's see what we have:

-Dorne's rebellion.
-Problems in King's Landing regarding the religions starting to get upset.
-Lady Stoneheart plot.
-Aegon's arrival at Westeros.
-Daenerys coming back to her city and finally deciding to reach Westeros.
-The plot regarding the Others.
-Stannis Baratheon and his fight for the Throne.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Sure, it can be ended in two books, but I feel it might be too rushed. Too many characters to give them an appropiate ending.

there are also so many other things going on

Rickon's possible return to the story
What's going on with Wyman Manderly and winterfel
Littlefinger's scheming with Sansa
Arya's training

I assume much of these plot points are all leading to a head and that most, if not all of them, will be crucial to the overall conclusion to the story. Hopefully Martin knows that he doesn't need to chase down every single side plot though. Part of the Magic of his story is that he gives the impression that the world he has created has been around long before the story starts, a feat not every writer is capable of. There is a rich history to the world of westeros, but there is also the impression that there is a rich future for this fake world as well. The conclusion of the series will not be an absolute conclusion, unless the whole world is destroyed. so having some character's story arcs not completely wrapped up will add to this impression of a continuing universe.

there are also so many other things going on

Rickon's possible return to the story
What's going on with Wyman Manderly and winterfel
Littlefinger's scheming with Sansa
Arya's training

I assume much of these plot points are all leading to a head and that most, if not all of them, will be crucial to the overall conclusion to the story. Hopefully Martin knows that he doesn't need to chase down every single side plot though. Part of the Magic of his story is that he gives the impression that the world he has created has been around long before the story starts, a feat not every writer is capable of. There is a rich history to the world of westeros, but there is also the impression that there is a rich future for this fake world as well. The conclusion of the series will not be an absolute conclusion, unless the whole world is destroyed. so having some character's story arcs not completely wrapped up will add to this impression of a continuing universe.
Exactly. It's not the first time something like the current event occurs.

There has been already a Dance with Dragons. A Blackfyre rebellion. Fights at Castle Black. Sacks. Anything that might have happened so far. It's just recalling to us the events of a certain period of time that might shape the following centuries in Westeros.

Yes, but I think the history is relevant to the end story, the Blackfyre rebellion, (Aegon is a probably a descendant), Dance with Dragons (is giving you a taste of Dragon battles (Fire dragons vs Ice dragon, and Jon has the Dragonkin book), Fights at the Wall, the long night (it's going to happen again).

If GRRM pulls off the ending and includes everything he has hinted at in the first five books, it will be the best book series ever, by far, which is probably why it's taking so long. If he leaves lots of loose ends, I'm not so sure.

I hope for not too many loose ends, it would satisfy me more if he manages to tie most of them up in one way or another

agreed. Too many loose ends would be just as bad as having everything wrap up. There are definately main plot points that need to be resolved, and many side plots being wrapped up would be nice as well, but some things need to be left to stand.

Personally, I would like to see Littlefinger survive the story. Not because I like him, but because his survival would leave little doubt that there will still be power struggles and the "Game" will continue, regardless of who sits the throne. I would also be fine if the following story arcs are left open:

Sandor/The Hound - we are all pretty sure he is on the quiet isle, but I would be fine if Martin never confirms nor denies that.
Aurane Waters - Not a major player, but it would be nice if he was still a pirate king at the end of the story
Arya - if her story ends with her becoming a faceless woman, I'm fine with that, so long as she does a few things between now and then

I would agree with some of the minor character not being wrapped up, and I'm happy if that is the end for the hound.

But you can't leave Arya as just a trained faceless woman, who doesn't kill anyone significant in the story.
And you can't leave Littlefinger hanging around still trying to manipulate his way to the throne.

What I meant more by loose ends, was the visions and prophecies need to make sense and all the major POV character need to have an ending.

Otherwise, someone will decide there should be a book 9 an 10.

But you can't leave Arya as just a trained faceless woman, who doesn't kill anyone significant in the story.
And you can't leave Littlefinger hanging around still trying to manipulate his way to the throne.

Well she can kill people BEFORE she becomes a faceless woman, but I would be satisfied if, at the end of the series, the last we see of Arya is her being inducted into the order of the Faceless Men. Or, she can be inducted sometime Mid-book 7 or at the beginning of book 8, then we stop getting her POVs but some character or other could be assassinated by someone who COULD be Arya, with fans being able to speculate and debate whether it was her or not. Just a thought.

And that is EXACTLY why Littlefinger should live. He will never sit the Iron Throne, he has no claim whatsoever, but he is a surviver and a schemer and it would bring joy to this weary heart if I knew he was still around plotting against whoever does end up on the throne.

What I meant more by loose ends, was the visions and prophecies need to make sense and all the major POV character need to have an ending.

on this I agree wholeheartedly. We need to have an ending that is satisfying and answers all the BIG questions, without doubt. Maybe that's why Martin is reluctant to get to the end. A bad ending could turn a great series to a mediocre series.

I could go with an unknown arya chapter killing someone relevant, have you read sample chapter mercy?

I'm coming round to your little finger idea, but I think Sansa going to kill him at some point.

Well she can kill people BEFORE she becomes a faceless woman, but I would be satisfied if, at the end of the series, the last we see of Arya is her being inducted into the order of the Faceless Men.

I would be horrified by that - it would mean Arya played no meaningful part in the story.

She will kill someone significant, but the only one really left on her list is Tyrion I think? Perhaps she will be ordered to kill a remaining family member?