February's Fabulous Feast Of Fully Formidable Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just finished Smallworld: A Science Fiction Adventure Comedy which just didn't work for me. I only found one bit funny. I suppose you get what you pay for and this one was free off Amazon.

Now Smallworld has been done I started to read SIM by Andy Remic. It's a bit heavy going and slow to start. I'm hoping it picks up as I actualy paid for this one! :(

Andy

Im reading for the first time a small fantasy book you might have heard of called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I would have read it sometime but this time im reading it for my children and YA class. So far its interesting but not fantastical story. Its the part of Harry and the terrible family he lives with. Maybe the Dickens feel helped the popularity with the original audience before it became marketing machine.

Im glad i have avoided the films and i think HP fans the adult ones i know are funny. They tease seriously thinking not reading the HP is like NOT having read Shakespeare or Kakfa or some other great classic author ;)

Connavar, I'm just waiting for you to change your avatar to Daniel Radcliffe in tribute to Harry Potter. :D

Whilst mangling my magnetic under mind with stories from Robert Aickman's collection "Dark Entries" in the evenings, I am making my daily commute pass more pleasantly with Arthur C. Clarke's "Fountains of Paradise".

Connavar, I'm just waiting for you to change your avatar to Daniel Radcliffe in tribute to Harry Potter. :D

Whilst mangling my magnetic under mind with stories from Robert Aickman's collection "Dark Entries" in the evenings, I am making my daily commute pass more pleasantly with Arthur C. Clarke's "Fountains of Paradise".

Never! HP has to be the most underrated fantasy in modern history for that to happen :p

I have three younger siblings who grew up on Harry Potter books and they think im a literary snob because i like to read more adult, classic S&S,other types of fantasy. They would will laugh in my face if i like HP too much !

I have just finished Smallworld: A Science Fiction Adventure Comedy which just didn't work for me. I only found one bit funny. I suppose you get what you pay for and this one was free off Amazon.
Andy
A bit worrying that. I picked up the same free offer as I thought the premises sounded like fun. But if it's not very funny then a comedy book is a total disaster. As it was free I'll still give it a try... eventually.

...I am making my daily commute pass more pleasantly with Arthur C. Clarke's "Fountains of Paradise".
One of my favourite Arthur C Clarke books that one.

Fountains of Paradise is indeed one of Arthur C. Clarke's best, my opinion, "the best." I am on the third Hunger Games novel: "Mockingjay." The series is better than I expected and much more SF than I was led to believe.

I second this, with the mention that it should be changed based on the volume and the film, up to the last one :D.

I'm moving nicely along with Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates and I must say I'm very disappointed in the volume...the actual volume, not the book itself. From TOR Fantasy the paper feels like toilet paper and as I kept my place in the book with a finger earlier while talking to someone I saw the ink had become smudged. Not to mention the thin covers that feel like they were made out of toilet paper as well, only a quality grade higher.

Otherwise..the book is moving along nicely and it's far less confusing than Gardens of the Moon.

Yesterday I finished my reread of Gibson's Neuromancer. I love that book, and I love Gibson.

Last night started reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, and I'm enjoying it thus far. After the fun I had reading Pushing Ice I'll read anything Reynolds writes.

Finished this. Excellent, though as you can see, one of the most blah covers in publishing history.

TheRaggedEdge.jpg

Next nightstand read will be:
YellowstoneKelly.jpg

One of my favorite movies as a kid. Haven't seen it in decades but my brother told me it has recently come out on dvd so I may try to get a copy in the near future. For now I'll see if the book rings any bells. Clay Fisher, if anyone is interested, is also Will Henry.

Hugh Cook continues to blow me away with The Wizards and the Warriors. He consistently sets up standard genre conventions and stereotypes, and then peals away the layers to reveal characters and situations that are far deeper, darker, and meaningful than I first imagined. He also puts his characters through the wringer; I mean, these dudes are bullied, battered, beaten, and slayed with almost reckless abandon. However, every thing that happens to them happens because of a previous action or choice. I'm a little over 1/2 way through, and I just can't wait to see what happens. I really have no idea.

Also, can't wait to read more of this series.

I finished the first Harry Potter novel and i rate it 3/5 which is decent, good read to me. Here is my review from Goodreads:

"This book is written with simple, straight prose that makes it an entertaining read. Not the best written YA fantasy i have read but it was good for what is it.

Story wise it was pretty straightforward adventures in magic school until the last 50 pages that was more exciting, more things happened. Maybe it becomes even more magic fantasy in the other books.

I can see its appeal for younger readers and for adults looking for fun read. Most Harry Potter fans i know are people who dont read fantasy and thinks its more original than it is. Harry is certaintly not an original hero in children, YA lit or in fantasy but the literary Harry Potter was more likeable, interesting than the film version. "

As has increasingly been the case, I've had very little time for reading of late, even with the research reading. But I have managed to squeeze in Lumley's first novel, The Burrowers Beneath, which I found more enjoyable than the last time 'round; and have also read the first in a slender book by "Ingulphus" (Arthur Gray): Tedious Brief Tales of Granta and Grammarye (1919), a set of ghostly tales by one of the minor figures in the field. (The story is entitled "The Everlasting Club", and has been retold by others in various forms, including as a genuine bit of ghostly folklore. One other version I am aware of is titled "The Club of Dead Men", which adds a few little fillips, such as some interesting references to "Q" -- Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, and his relationship to such thingsl.) I certainly won't say that this would be of interest to everyone, but I particularly like his careful attention to verisimilitudinous detail, which gives the tale a gradual air of growing eeriness and quiet implications of terror. Nicely done....

Just started and very much enjoying The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder

xx

I have been so busy reading that i didnt even notice it being March 1 or 2 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.