Etta James

Discussion in 'Music' started by Foxbat, Jan 22, 2012.

Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Sadly, she died recently at the age of 73. One of the finest voices of the last 50 years has left this Earth and we are all the poorer for the loss.

P.S. I didn't put this in the Obits section because that appears to be only for people directly connected with Science Fiction and Fantasy. But I simply could not allow the passing of one of my favourite singers go without some sort of word.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I'm not really into Jazz and Soul, so could you tell me and other like me, apart from the Diet Coke advert, where would I have heard her voice? What were her finest hours?
    Abernovo

Abernovo Accident-prone, allegedly

In the last few years, you're unlikely to have heard much of her voice. In some ways, she's not so well known for her songs as for what she was a part of. She signed to Chess Records, alongside Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Chuck Berry and Willie Dixon. Before that, she mixed and performed with the likes of Little Richard and stepped out with B B King. You could very easily argue that if it had not been for those performers, rock music and much of modern popular music just wouldn't exist - Chess Records had Gordy Berry as a staff songwriter - he later co-founded Motown Records.

That said, I have some of her music on CD. She ranged from Blues, Doo-wop and Jazz to Rock & Roll, Soul and R&B. For me, All I Could Do Was Cry, is what I will always associate with her. A brilliant voice and a pioneer.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

My personal favourite was her rendition of I'd Rather Go Blind. No fancy vamping or throat curdling that plagues most wannabe (over-)singers nowadays - just raw power and passion - and that's all a truly great singer really needs to project their voice.

Catch I'd Rather Go Blind here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApNirMC9gM