Kindle books versus oldfashioned ones ??

I've just purchased a Kindle, and I love it. I can't believe it (I have no eye problems save I wear glasses) but I find it much easier to read, particularly in low light. A thing I would have expected to fall otherwise.

Shockingly so. And the glare is by far not as bad as I expected when reading in sunlight or at my night lamp.

I think I'll always buy a paperback copy of a book I especially enjoy. It's sentiment really and I'd like to, when I'm old and battered, to have a nice bookcase that my children can burn for heat in the inevitable nuclear winter.

It's interesting that I have never yet come across a single person, no matter how skeptical they started out, who has been unhappy with their ereader once they got it.

It's interesting that I have never yet come across a single person, no matter how skeptical they started out, who has been unhappy with their ereader once they got it.

I have one, but I've never really used it, just fiddled. I like books.

I like reading more than I like books, so it doesn't really matter from what source I read the words.

I like reading more than I like books, so it doesn't really matter from what source I read the words.

I like reading more than i like books but the few 100s books that i keep is by my alltime favs are in my bookshelf because i like standing there and choosing what to read next. I like keeping all those great authors in the same psychical room.

The fact there isnt a feel like that when you have ebooks in a reader, or in computer and i tried reading an e-reader style but my eyes are very analog. The words are dead electronically. I read only comics with an e-reader because thats a visual medium and not putting together words to build a mental picture of a story.

I like reading more than i like books but the few 100s books that i keep is by my alltime favs are in my bookshelf because i like standing there and choosing what to read next. I like keeping all those great authors in the same psychical room.

For sure. I'm not anti-book or anything crazy like that. ;)

It's just that I don't think one is better than the other, and will usually buy based on convenience, price, and availability.

For sure. I'm not anti-book or anything crazy like that. ;)

It's just that I don't think one is better than the other, and will usually buy based on convenience, price, and availability.

Well paper book fans like me dont go saying e-book suck or something. Its good for people that want it. Its more techo trendy people and not normal book fans that say oh i can donwload 100 books for free and who needs space for paper books. Its new thing crowd that think the one is better than the other.

I dont care really. Im only annoyed when small press realese my fav authors story only as kindle version. Alienate me because its cheaper to realese Kindle version.

If it weren't for the dyslexia I'm sure I would read 50/50 electronic v. paper. I call them books weather they are paper or electronic the story is the same. The funny thing is I'm mostly reading sci-fi on kindle, part of me feels for fantasy I should read it on paper. I'll probably get over it but since the next fantasy book I want to read isn't available on Kindle, I'll stay with the trend. Also I mourn the loss of book stores and try to support the ones that are left. I've been thinking my city should make the remaining book stores monuments if they're not profitable anymore.

Conn I think it's a little harsh suggesting people only read ebooks because they are geeks ("techno trendy"), after free downloads ("oh I can download 100 books for free") or because they don't need shelf space. There are many other much better and more valid reasons though, of course, not everyone will necessarily relate to those reasons.

Conn I think it's a little harsh suggesting people only read ebooks because they are geeks ("techno trendy"), after free downloads ("oh I can download 100 books for free") or because they don't need shelf space. There are many other much better and more valid reasons though, of course, not everyone will necessarily relate to those reasons.

No no i said those techo trendy people are not the normal book readers who see many good reasons to read ebooks.

I meant negatively only on people who try to convince you paper books are too much space etc and you have to read with the new thing that is future. The people that get in your face about it.

Im not talking about ebook readers in general. I know many people i respect and like D_Davis and co who use it only as another tool to read.

I have the KIndle keyboard a nice simple tablet to read on. I like it as its lighter to hold than a book, very light. As for prices the Kindle versions are not cheaper than your everyday paperback, I thought I would be getting cheap books and saving money but thats not the case. Older books however can be had for very cheap prices. My main issue witht the Kindle is not being able to quickly leaf back to a page to check something or look at maps and such, I can go back page by page but its not as fast as turning paper pages to see what I am looking for. The great thing about the Kindle is not having to buy books and put them on my shelves, some, most books will be read once and sit forever on the shelf so I love the fact my shelves are not filling anymore.

T

I agree flicking back a few pages is one of the downsides of ereaders. However I find I mostly get around that by using the search facility (on my sony but it's much the same). I can usually think of a key word or name in the passage I'm looking for and that then makes it very quick. The maps are one of the biggest hassles though and I must admit to frequently printing off a copy of the map and keeping it in my reader case for that purpose. Another one that never works quite right is when you have page footnotes and they can be a apin sometimes as well.

But then all life is made up of compromises. :)

As a reader, I'm a paper book person but I also like audio books for when I am doing something mindless (e.g. painting).
Not against eBooks, just prefer paper for reading.

Do also have this underlying concern for compatibility and long life - as in even when old and fragile, paper backs have a long reading life and don't need electricity or the right software to get into them.

The right storage conditions and good quality "hardware" mean there are surviving fragments of papyrus from the Pharaohs.

But yes, I can see having multiple books in one light, easy to carry item is extremely convenient, especially when commuting. Nothing worse than finishing your book on the journey in to work :(

I do like being able to sit on the sofa and look up at the floor to ceiling shelf full of books and think "which one next."

I don't know, think of all the free time we'll have:D

Find and watch the episode of the old Twilight Zone series called "Time enough, at last", I believe. Similar situation, incredible irony. I could see that happening. I think I'm more leery of storing things on "the Cloud" I have most of my ebooks on both a chip and a hard drive. I don't need a link to the internet to read. I really think as long as there are as many people as there are who worry about protecting their books, books will survive in one form or another (or several).