Need someone other than a Scientist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkose

Waiting for tea time
I often visit the "Need a Scientist thread," but as a general scientist I have larger need in other areas. I just think there should be a place to ask other questions like history. If there is an actual thread I missed than point me to its direction and delete this.

I'll start.

Did the Union have sharpshooters during the civil war, or did the confederates have all the good shooters? If the Union did have sharpshooters what weapon was used? I can only find confederate sharpshooter weapons.

Thanks

I can't answer the sharp-shooter question, Arkose, but just to deal with the thread point -- as originally conceived the "Need a scientist thread" was simply for members to list what attainments they had in any field, in case they could help anyone who, for instance, needed to know something about bio-chemistry, but it got hi-jacked by all kinds of questions instead. We also have a separate thread for quick questions if someone doesn't want to start a thread just for one relatively minor point -- http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/532447-quick-fire-questions-a-place-to-ask-and.html (Actually I might sticky that to make it more visible.)

I'm in two minds about merging this with the above or leaving it. I'll have a think.

Actually I might sticky that to make it more visible.

Please do, I often just use the search tool and sometimes it works great, and in times like these it doesn't work that great.

You can just delete the thread entirely or just combine my question to the the thread you posted. I'll just wait to see what you decide before asking in the thread.

-- as originally conceived the "Need a scientist thread" was simply for members to list what attainments they had in any field, in case they could help anyone who, for instance, needed to know something about bio-chemistry...
And so this thread could be the same but for non-scientific disciplines. Not just History, but Geography, Cooking, Sport, Music, Weapons... the possibilities are endless.

As some examples, several threads here have complained about horse-riding in both films and books and how they never get it right. I've seen a few TV programmes supposedly set in the 1980's where they have those running man Fire Exit signs in corridors that were only brought in in the year 2001. Or Indiana Jones flying over a map that says Belize, when that country was still British Honduras until 1973.

Luckily, I've not seen the same kind of anachronisms and bloopers in books that I've read, but I'd hate the book if I did. Maybe books are better researched, but how do you know it is wrong unless you ask someone who does know?

Status
Not open for further replies.