January's Joyous Journeying Along Fictional Jaunts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the stories in Glactic North occur before the main RS trilogy but Galactic North itself happens a long long time later. Well it ends a long long time after. They are a great background though. Bizarrely I read Galactic North a long time before I read the rest and had long since forgotten it. I kept getting a nagging "this reminds me of something" throughout and didn't figure it out until after I'd finished Revelation Space. :eek:

Partly read and partly re-read The Compleat Bolo by Keith Laumer. Now two-thirds through my "get re-acquainted with Laumer" project. Longer discussion of the stories in the short story thread.

Space Captain Smith: God-Emporor of Didcott by Toby Smith. :)

I'm now onto the second book of Joe Abercrombie's trilogy The first law, "Before They Are Hanged". So far, this series is the best thing i have read in a long time. Its keeping me up at night.

Ancient Celts by Barry Cunliffe

A non-fiction book for my Ancient Celts history,culture internet class. Alot of fun reading real historical scholar book that is well written. I took the course because i wanted real people,their history.

Let us know how you got on in the April thread.

probably hard to appreciate what alchemist is referencing without a direct link to my previous post, but all the same I am delighted to be able to offer a maniacal laugh and cackle, as I say, I have completed The Temporal Void by Peter F Hamilton.

I really enjoyed it and found it as entertaining as always. Despite the long chapters I managed to make double quick time through the novel, it would seem that there is an upside to being unwell, there is all that extra time to read.

I can now safely move onto the next novel, chosen at random, knowing that those long chapters are behind me.

Moving onto Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Just read Death's Angels, first entry in the Terrarch Chronicles, by William King.

Pretty good, liked the start and end but the middle could've had a bit more oomph. It's a bit like Sharpe meets the Black Company.

In Other Worlds is just brilliant! Probably the best superhero story I've ever read. I'm surprised I haven't seen A.A. Attanasio's name mentioned along side Rudy Rucker and other transrealists, because this is definitely a work of transrealism. I am absolutely love this - it's exactly the kind of SF I love. It is the SF of BIG IDEAS. There are BIG IDEAS leaping from the pages. And, what's more, it never looses site of the humanity at the core of the story.

Wow - what a major discovery for me this year.

I'd asked which stories in the Chaosium book, after the first four, held up well.

Are you including the introduction in that first four? If not, you may mean three, as "The Shuttered Room" is not one I would say holds up at all well.

I wasn't including the intro. The first four, including "Room," are ones I've read. I don't remember it as having been worth reading even the once. But the stories afterwards were just names to me.

Finished Stephen King's The Gunslinger. Enjoyed it, was pulled through it, but nothing's propelling me towards the second book at the moment. Part of it is King's style -- like with some of his other books, I couldn't help feeling that the "horror" bits were too manipulative, sound and fury signifying not quite enough -- but the main problem was that the main character felt a complete blank. From a couple of things I've heard, this might be the point, but at the moment I don't think it quite worked for me. But I won't dismiss the possibility of carrying on at some point.

Now about to start Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company, and have started The Drug and Other Stories by Aleister Crowley, which I think will be a good read.

I wouldn't worry about Roland's arc - it's one of the most interesting I've ever read. He's my second favorite character in all of fiction, right after Gully Foyle.

Well, I finished The Dunwich Cycle, and here are my responses, in brief:

"The Shuttered Room" -- having something of a "Chesterfieldian sense of honor" about such things, I reread this one. Actually, Derleth builds quite a nice atmosphere in the earlier portions, and the writing there is rather good. It is when he starts throwing around too much of the "Mythos" lingo that things begin to go incredibly wonky; and that ending! How on earth a professional writer could possibly have thought that was any sort of ending...:eek:

Price's "The Round Tower", though not a work of great art, is one heck of a lot better than the original ending to Lurker which Derleth wrote. At least he doesn't completely jettison everything which has been built up before that point for a vastly different set of circumstances and conclusions, with an extremely annoying pontificating professor/psychic detective to lay it all out for dummies.... He even weaves a decent atmosphere and makes up for the two "catalogues" of mythos info from Derleth's second section....

Lupoff's "The Devil's Hop-Yard" isn't entirely successful either, though it is an interesting piece; the "mirroring" of the original "Dunwich Horror" (here the progeny is female; where Wilbur becomes a giant, she remains nearly the size of a week-old infant, though fully mature, etc.) is taken a bit too far, but the realization of the Dunwich country as a character in its own right is handled quite well; and there is a hint of eeriness here and there about Hester as well.

"The Road to Dunwich", by Ben Indick, is actually very effective, in large part because it creates a sense of inevitable familial tragedy and pathos, with the narrator and his son both powerless, though for differing reasons, to prevent the loss they suffer. It has its poignancy and horror well blended and, though one can see where it is going early on, that only adds to that sense of an ancient pattern working itself out in human lives, giving it a touch of Grecian gravitas.

"The Tree-House" by W. H. Pugmire and Bob Price is also not entirely sucessful, though it only misses by a hair. It, too, has its elements of pathos and the grim inevitability, with Wilum's pungently dark humorous twist -- not humor in the usual sense, but the ironic humor Lovecraft was so fond of, in particularly Pugmirian terms.

"You Can't Take It with You", by C. J. Henderson, blends HPL and the hard-boiled detective tale -- something which has been done at various times with surprising success -- in a tale which does credit to both; it, also, has its very human element, and a resolution of mixed tragedy and revelation.

Price's "Wilbur Whateley Waiting" rather turns the entire trope on its ear, and finally presents the overpowering presence of Wilbur as ultimately helpless and impotent in the face of the modern world's tendency to accept the very myths from which he springs. It is also somewhat darkly humorous in its pointed marking of Wilbur as, finally, less of a grotesque than the world in which he finds himself when brought back; a statement which takes Lovecraft's work in a vastly different direction than the original, but which, given some of his statements in letters, I think he would have appreciated quite well.

What, to me, makes such anthologies so interesting is how varied the response to the Lovecraftian materials is among the different writers; and how each picks up on a particular thread or idea and then develops it in their own individual fashion, rather than attempting to imitate HPL in any way. Not all are successful, but a surprising number are, by dint of avoiding the very strictures which created this sub-genre by identifying its boundaries. Now it has become a thing of its own, with identifiable links to Lovecraft, but a healthy growing branch of literature not confined to what has gone before. Those with a taste for the strict Derlethian view of the Mythos are likely to be sadly disappointed; those who recognize the open-endedness of the original are more likely to enjoy the variety offered therein.

Finished Pohl and Kornbluth's Search the Sky yesterday. I regret to report that, while not at all awful, it's easily my least favorite of their four SF novel collaborations. It begins as a fairly serious concept of an unhappy trader working in a decaying society that trades with other planets via multi-generation trading ships before widening out to an almost farcical (at least extremely satirical) concept of an FTL search for why all the planets seem to be dropping out of the trading network. It spends a couple of chapters each satirizing a gerontocracy, a matriarchy, a planet of total conformity (down to people having plastic surgery to look like "Jones" - taken from "keeping up with the Joneses", of course), and a planet full of idiots (the last part being a lesser recapitulation of Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons"). It's a very, very short novel at 164 pages (admittedly with narrow margins and tiny type) and both the more serious parts and more comical parts are good but there's a critical bit of nonsense in the whole thing (in that FTL is supposed to be secret, yet the protagonist keeps showing up at planets and telling people he's from 20 light years away and whatnot - and the secret-FTL gimmick is itself inherently silly, though there's an attempted explanation that it's "to prevent interstellar war") and the inconsistent tone just didn't work for me (though you could argue it was a controlled change meant to accompany his wider world and acquisition of a friend at each planet).

Basically, IMO, everyone ought to read The Space Merchants. If you want to read a great but not completely dissimilar novel, there's Gladiator-at-Law. My third favorite (I think, but really close) and less similar novel would be Wolfbane so, if you want something different, read that second. If you want to read them all, then there's Search the Sky, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

BTW, Pohl released a revised version in 1985 and I bought that first without realizing it, but waited until I found the original 1954 version and then read that. The revision is much longer in page count at 245 pages (but has more generous margins and much larger type). I didn't read it but compared it at various points and it doesn't seem to introduce anything substantially new - no new subplots or characters or anything. Except for phraseology, it has the same ending. It leaves intact some very outmoded treatment of "the girl" and various other dated things. All it seems to do is bloat and weaken the originally sharp, crisp prose. For instance, when meeting the crew of the trading starship the original says, "They were all naked. Why not? There's no weather in a spaceship," and the revision says, "All of the bodies were naked--tiny body of the tot, shrunken bodies of the ancients, firm and healthy bodies of the grownups. Why should they not be naked? There's no weather in a spaceship. And they had no secrets to hide." Urf. So, basically, unless Baen said, "I'll reprint this if it looks bigger on the shelves," I have no idea why Pohl revised it or revised it in this way.

Anyway - like I say, the original is not bad, but it's definitely skippable unless you're really into Pohl and Kornbluth.

No, I don't think they'd be to your taste (though I might be wrong about one or two of them where that's concerned); but thought I'd both answer your question and get my impressions out there for anyone interested.

And my current reading isn't fiction, but is interesting nonetheless: T. H. Huxley's Man's Place in Nature and Other Anthropological Essays....

Finished The Green and The Gray by Timothy Zahn which I didn't think was up to his usual standard; he normally delivers solid action oriented SF this felt really drawn out.

Starting The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

I read Adalbert Stifter's The Recluse, a novella by this so-called "Biedermeier" author. A young man leaves his foster mother and her daughter, who is devoted to him, to journey on foot over lovingly described plains and mountains to the island on which his uncle dwells with two elderly servants in what once was a monastery. The pace is leisurely and some readers might find it unbearable. Reading a few pages a day, I found that it took a little effort and that, at the same time, I liked the way the author casts his spell. The setting would be a good one for some eerie happenings; in fact none occur; the dramatic points include the young man's finding a way to swim in the lake and a climactic conversation with his uncle. No American could film this book, but I think Andrei Tarkovsky could have made a lovely one-hour film from it.
9781590172858.jpg

The first one I read, Rock Crystal, might be a better first book to read by Stifter -- a good story to read around Christmastime or any time. (I don't know if the New York Review edition, pictured above, has the drawings by Scharl. When I get a copy, I want one that does.) I read Brigitta and The Forest Path about three years ago and those were good, too; they may be found in a book also containing Abdias and Limestone. That edition quotes Thomas Mann as saying Stifter was "one of the most extraordinary, the most enigmatic, the most secretly daring and the most strangely gripping narrators in world literature." I certainly expect to read more by Stifter (1805-1868).

b_as.jpg
images

Here is an article on Stifter:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0354/is_2_50/ai_n27928617/?tag=content;col1

Glancing at it, I see I have overestimated the age of the protagonist in The Recluse. Well, as the article writer notes, Stifter is even better on rereading!

Incidentally, The Recluse has also been translated as The Bachelors, but a friend who has read both versions assures me that The Recluse is the better version.

I'm inclined to think that Stifter is one of the best "new" authors of the past ten years.

Last edited:
Finally got around to reading "Old Man's War" by Scalzi. Was a sci-fi delight and easy read. Think I'm going to read Star Trek Destiny #1: Gods of Night, since I've been craving Trek.

Finally got around to reading "Old Man's War" by Scalzi. Was a sci-fi delight and easy read.

Just read it a few days ago, quick and fun. On the strength of it I ordered Ghost Brigades (which came in today :)).

Hmm. Might get Ghost Brigades. Read Old Man's War aaages ago, but for some reason never ordered the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.