do you like cricket ?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by dhoomdon, Dec 30, 2011.

dhoomdon

dhoomdon Science fiction fantasy

do you like cricket ?
    Hilarious Joke

Hilarious Joke Fool

Love it. Really enjoyed the recent test (though I bet you didn't dhoomdon!). Going to Day 3 of the next one.
    Snowdog

Snowdog New Member

I used to watch it a lot. When I was down in London there was nothing better than popping along to Lords if it was a nice day.

It also used to be well-served by terestrial TV, but after cricket sold itself to Sky I've stopped watching and following it. I've no idea who won what this season and I suspect the England team has lost half its fan base in the same way.

I also hate how the emphasis has shifted to 20-20 cricket, though it's not really cricket, it's just hit and hope.
    Anne Lyle

Anne Lyle Fantastical historian

Yes - used to love listening to TMS, but I can't do that at work any more, so I have to settle for following the scores online and then watching highlights on Channel 5.

Mostly I just follow England, though I'm always happy to see my home county (Notts) doing well. Haven't seen England play live for several years, but Mr L and I keep promising we'll go up to Trent Bridge to see a Test match someday soon!
    Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Former Comment Giver

I grew up with cricket, I should like it I really should.

My dad was in love with the sport. He played with a local team, was part of the people who actually ran the club. If it was on TV he watched it, and I think it was his greatest dream that his kids would play it too. (Which we did for a while) Unfortunately, despite having a massive grounding and understanding of the sport it worked the other way and pushed me (and my brother) away from it.

So in answer to the question I guess the answer is no.
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Just to let you know, guys, the original poster was a spammer who got obliterated some time back, but for some reason we didn't pull his thread as we usually would. So by all means discuss the cricket, but don't expect him to pop up and reply!

Only Test Match I ever went to, at Edgbaston when I was in my late teens, it rained all day and we didn't see a ball bowled :mad:
    Boneman

Boneman Active Member

You lucky thing... I went to the oval and saw about 3,000 balls bowled and Geoff Boycott played a forward defensive stroke to 2,998 of them. The other two were No Balls, so he ignored them...
    Anne Lyle

I saw England play Sri Lanka at Lords a few years ago - can't remember the full team, but KP and Monty were definitely playing. Brilliant sunshine, picnic, the works :)
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

*holds up tentacle* Umm.. Guilty, yeronner! But it seemed a reasonable post, as we didn't have a cricket thread, so I left it running.
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

You're the lucky thing! I had a crush on Geoff Boycott at the time (I know... sad doesn't come into it...)
    TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

I am amused by the concept of "do you like cricket?" as a spam question... what kind of product or item were they going to try to pitch or sell I wonder? Your one chance to make an impact... it's like sneaking into the G4 meeting of world leaders to ask "Hey guys, so... do you like cricket?"

What a weird and wonderful world it is, and is there nothing that people won't stoop to using for spam!
    Boneman

Boneman Active Member

You could alweays google 'Batsmen of the Kalahari' and watch the Monty Python classic... Was it the secret service sketch that had the "Do you play cricket?" jokes in it?
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Only when England lose.:p
    Anne Lyle

Why do you want to join the secret service?

</derail>

Yes it was.
    Anne Lyle

Also, I now have "Dreadlock Holiday" by 10CC as an earworm. Argh!
    Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Former Comment Giver

Sigh. And now it's in mine - and even when I manage to get it out of my head I'll read one of your tweets and of it'll go again. :rolleyes:
    Abernovo

Abernovo Accident-prone, allegedly

Playing cricket at school, I grew to love it (sorry Anne, Perp, I couldn't resist that choice of words;)). I even became a half decent batsman.

Which segues into... Sachin Tendulkar, who is much more than a half decent batsman. I am full of admiration. One hundred International centuries! The statistics on this guy are amazing. 33,844 runs and 199 wickets in 650 international matches (combining Test Matches and ODIs).

I'm not even the biggest lover of watching sport, although I have enjoyed playing them, but I thought his achievement yesterday deserved a mention.
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

Even better, the scene in The Mighty Boosh where Bob Fossil dances to it.

To answer the OP's spamming question, no.
    Gary Compton

Gary Compton King Harvey Basset R.I.P

No! I'd rather watch a couple of snails have a sex fest:eek:
    River Boy

River Boy Member

Can't beat Test cricket! One-dayers can be great also but do think there are too many of them.

Want to see Test status opened to 3 or 4 new nations. Definitely Ireland and I'd go for Netherlands, Canada and the USA.