Help Finding Some Good Ones.

Brussell4

I realize this was literally just asked with the getting started thread, but I wpas looking for a bit of help finding some series for myself, having just started in the world of graphic novels.

I don't fully understand the difference between graphic novel and comics, except for perhaps themes and style. From what I gather, comics are more super hero, cartooney-like and graphic novels have a more mature, often realistic theme, and tend to have sharper, more realistic artwork. However, some of the GN I have seen so far do have that cartooney look.

I have read all of The Walking Dead and have just started DMZ. I like long, continuous series (like TWD) and prefer the kind that come in the larger trade paperback volume or omnibus format (lots of story for a reasonable price). This is important, because I like to stick with a story/plot for a long time if it stays good, rather than a single issue story. Availability may be slightly different for me, as I am in the US, but I'm sure I can order pretty much anything.

To be honest, I just cannot get into the whole superhero, cartoon-like theme or manga kind of stuff, and I like the kind of plot that is realistic with a twist of fantasy/supernatural/horror (i.e. TWD and DMZ). In other words, part reality, part fantasy, but in a reasonably plausible way. I'm a realist, and I can bend myself to accept a virus, the apocalypse, a civil war, scientific experiments, etc. but for some reason just cannot get into weird monsters, creatures from hell, flying ninjas, that sort of thing. That being said, there are a few complete fantasies I can accept, including vampires, werewolves, etc. as long as it is blended into a realistic world. I also really like the whole mystery thing, the part that makes you HAVE to keep reading to find out. What really interests me about GN is the artwork, because I love that mature, sharp, crisp and realistic look, whether it's black and white or color, doesn't matter.

Some of the shows I like: Lost, Being Human (your version), Stargate (all), Survivors (UK), Psyche, Monk, etc.

Thanks if you stuck through my long post, you have no idea how much I will appreciate any help. There's just so many options out there...

In terms of difference between graphic novels and comics, its a contentious question, and the terms have been co-opted into marketing buzz words, so they don't really mean much anymore. There SHOULD be a thematic difference (as you mention), but these days random and inane superhero books are called 'graphic novels', so its useless. For me, I used 'comic' and 'graphic novel' to simply differentiate between comics which are written by an editorial team (Superman, X-men, etc, books where the writer/artists are switched etc. Its a business, designed for maximum profit), and books which are 'creator owned', which means they're the work of core artist/writer, with little editorial interference, usually driven by a creative vision.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

To give you a brief explanation, most comic series in the US are first released as individual comics (sometimes called 'floppies' or 'pamphlets'), and then are collected into what are called Trade Paperbacks (always shortened to 'tpb'). Sometimes Trade paperbacks are referred to as "graphic novels", but 'original graphic novel' means a book which is first and only released in its full length book form (shortened to 'ogn').
In Europe, the system is kind of similar, except the 'anthology' format is more popular there, so instead of comics coming out with one story in one pamphlet, you'll get a bigger magazine with lots of different stories from different artists/writers. Japan's comic scene is the same.

Most comics are published in the US, I don't think you'll have any problem finding things you'll like.

A lot of people start with the publisher "Vertigo", which is actually DC comics' semi-creator-owned imprint (basically anything except superheroes).
Vertigo has been a home to most of the writers who are considered some of the 'best' in the American industry, and its safe to start here. The other advantage of starting here is that most of their books are continually in print, and easy to get!

A few names to start with who have books through Vertigo, and these are probably some of the writers who might win you over:

Alan Moore - A very 'literary' and 'serious' author with a flair for excellent twists of words, mature stories, and intricate plotting. "V for Vendetta" is done in one volume (is an excellent comic for newcomers after a more serious graphic novel, and one you should check out for good mature storytelling). I would honestly skip "Watchmen" if you have no interest in superheroes.

Neil Gaiman - Perhaps a little bit more supernaturally focused than you might care for. His 'Sandman' series is usually held up as one of the great works of graphic novel /comic fiction, and there's a good reason why. Wonderful characters. Look up the synopsis, and if it intrigues you, then you'll like it.

Garth Ennis - Maybe a little bit more gutter-minded than others. "Preacher" is a great series about a young disenfranchised preacher who decides to embark on a quest to find God and make him answer for the rotten state of the world. Laugh-out-loud hilarious, very dark, a bit controversial, satirical, you name it. Fun and unpredictable series.

Brian Wood - Really great writer, who you already know through DMZ. I would recommend his viking series "northlanders", which is quite naturalistic and dark and mature.

Image comics and Dark Horse comics are the two other publishers you might want to get to know.
Image put out a wide variety of work, all of which is creator-owned. Recently their crime series "Blue Estate" has been excellent (its a lot like the movie Snatch, if that helps), as has "Who is Jake Ellis?" which is a Jason Bourne like title.
They've put out a book called 'Chew' which is about a detective who has psychic visions which help him solve crimes, but these visions are only triggered when he tastes things (which sometimes means having to taste the victim). Very cool book, recommended.
Dark Horse put out a variety of titles, many tv-show tie-ins etc.

If you love a good mystery, one of the best all-time great mystery comics is 20th Century Boys (its a manga, yes. Not at all like other manga). I can't recommend it enough.

Honestly, I would heartily recommend finding a your local comic shop (one with a good range of publishers and tpbs and ogns) and asking the staff for help. Sometimes they can be a bit useless (or OBSESSED with superhero comics, and try to push that crap on you), but the advantage is that you can actually flick through the books on the shelf to see if you like the look of them.

Anyway, sorry about the wall of text, but I hope it helps some!

If you like, check out my comics podcast, we try to focus on making it helpful and informative to people who are new to comics
www.extrasequential.com

How about The Boys by Garth Ennis? First volume: 9781845764944 Gritty stuff, and currently one of the most successful series' out there.

Hey me again.

How about these:

Y: The Last Man
Preacher - Ennis
Criminal - Brubaker
Hellblazer
Punisher (and PunisherMax)

As said, go for Vertigo titles first, as they are much more adult, and less superhero-inclined.

Hey me again.

How about these:

Y: The Last Man
Preacher - Ennis
Criminal - Brubaker
Hellblazer
Punisher (and PunisherMax)

As said, go for Vertigo titles first, as they are much more adult, and less superhero-inclined.

i totally agree with the first 2 choices above
i would also suggest
the boys

graphic novel series
hellboy
powers
astro city
sandman
alan moores swamp thing
invincible (this is by the same guy who writes the walking dead

absolutely agree all of the above. i would only add:

grant morrison's the invisibles (a total MUST for those even vaguely interested in PK Dick, sf and psychedelia. philosophical otherworldness with crazy trippiness thrown in)
mike carey's the unwritten (about a harry-potter style kid whose famous author father *may* have stolen him from a fictional storyworld...)
chris roberson's iZombie (kinda 'buffy but with zombies', but better than that sounds, and in a quite knowing/parodic style)

preacher, sandman and alan moore (in that order) got me into comics 20 years ago; i cant recommend them highly enough.