Writing Software: Scrivener

I've been using Scrivener so long (since 2007), I've long since given up the concept of pages of manuscript. It's pretty meaningless in this electronic age, anyway - my publishers work entirely electronically, so I never see my books on paper until the final retail version comes out.

I think in word count nowadays, which is why I love all the targets and progress bars in Scrivener :)

I think in word count nowadays, which is why I love all the targets and progress bars in Scrivener :)

So agree, Anne. It's also nice to have specific word count goals each day, which is what I have programmed in--then I just watch the bar turn green. :p

I conducted a project with Scrivener, just to test my writing habits and was astounded at how productive I was when applying the word count goal tools. My last project took me over a year to complete (1200 pages). My next was mapped out in daily goals of 5,000 words, with a 105K word goal--or a 300 page project. The project was completed in a month.

So, as for myself, Scrivener is a fantastic motivator.
Just my 2 cents.

I see the last post in this thread was over a year ago. Is Scrivener still one of the best options in its current version? I was considering purchasing it. Thanks! :)

I see the last post in this thread was over a year ago. Is Scrivener still one of the best options in its current version? I was considering purchasing it. Thanks! :)
It's even better! :)
In the last six months or so, they've released a beta version which actually plays nicely with Linux!
So, I'm a convert. I'm using it for novels, short stories, articles, textbooks, even collating my various social media profiles/bios.
I'd say it was worth it. :)

It's even better! :)
In the last six months or so, they've released a beta version which actually plays nicely with Linux!
So, I'm a convert. I'm using it for novels, short stories, articles, textbooks, even collating my various social media profiles/bios.
I'd say it was worth it. :)

Sounds good. I think I will invest in it. I have been using freeware stuff, but the limitations were starting to get to me.

Just bought the windows version. Looks easier than keeping a separate word doc for each chapter.