The BBC Apologise For Jeremy Clarkson...

Discussion in 'World affairs' started by mosaix, Dec 1, 2011.

mosaix

mosaix Active Member

The BBC issued an apology for people who may have been offended by his comments on The One Show last night.

Apparently he said that 'the striking public sector workers should be shot, executed in front of their families', and that they had 'guilt egded pensions, whilst the rest of us had to work for a living'.

Those aren't the exact words but pretty close.

I find it bizzare that a guy who:

1) Earns more in a couple of months than a public sector worker gets in a lifetime of pension payments should feel the need to call into question the value of their pensions, let alone that he thinks they should be shot for striking to defend them.

and

2) Fronts a program that is slightly less intellectually stimulating than Play School should describe what he does as 'work' and try to compare it favourably to the real work done by millions in the public sector, who contribute to his inflated salary through their TV licence fee.

On the way back from visiting my mother I stopped at a road side cafe for a bite of lunch. They played the clip on the radio followed by some guy defending what he said as 'a joke'. There was no laughing in the cafe, just some guy saying "he's only saying what the rest of us are thinking".
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

Clarkson is a very opinionated man, but I think what he said was in jest.
    I have watched the clip (of the one show) and the crew are laughing as he says it, so it is clearly meant as a joke and not some effort to incite hatred.

From the Guardian

Now, this is going a bit far isn't it. They want to see what further action they can take against him, that sounds like they are looking to sue, and get money, probably to add it to their pensions.

Personally I am not in favour of the strike, it seems to me that they are essentially striking because the government broke a promise, well that has got to be a first, a government breaking a promise, who ever heard of such a thing.
    alchemist

alchemist On holidays!

Normally I take what Jeremy says with a pinch of salt. Most of it is designed to wind people up. This time,though , I think he's gone too far. i wasn't on strike but most of my work colleagues were (different unions) and I can't see how him suggesting they should be executed in front of their families is a joke. Obviously he didn't mean it literally but it was still pretty insulting. Hopefully the next time he ends up in A/E after a Lamborghini crash, or his ego gets caught in a revolving door, the staff will point out that if they had been executed, he would have just died.

But if everyone took this attitude, the government could do whatever they liked. Just because governments lie all the time, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be challenged.
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

Well personally I do think the BBC should apologise for wasting our licence fee on Jeremy Clarkson -- think he is an arse that wouldn't know a real days work it slapped his backside with a kipper. However I get fed up when people's freedom of speech is eroded - that is part of the same freedom that is allowing the people who want to strike, strike. What he said was stupid - I don't know the context or how serious it was, but I highly doubt it will have been intended to be taken seriously. I think the BBC should basically apologise for Jeremy Clarkson, but not for what he says -- that he should be entitled to.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Surely, his mother and father should do that.... ;)
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

Hmm ... they do have a lot to answer for ... BUT :rolleyes: As far as I am aware they are not using my licence fee to pay him stupid wages to pontificate about cars. Given I am not a driver it makes him even more useless than he maybe to others. How much does he get from your channel for endless reruns ?

I do wonder about the BBC sometimes ... However probably wouldn't be without em either.
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

The Guardian have (or had this afternoon) the clip with offending passages in it. Unfortunately (it surely couldn't be deliberate :rolleyes:), it was a truncated version of what I heard on a BBC news programme (The World at One, I think), in that they missed the intro. From what I could tell, Clarkson had said that he'd not noticed any adverse effects (on him, I assume) of the strike, but to give a bit of balance (or words vaguely to that effect), he would say that.... And then he spouted the stuff we've been hearing since yesterday.

Even not allowing for the usual** Clarkson hyperbole (which I know isn't to everyone's taste, to put it mildly), it's clear from the whole thing that it isn't meant to be taken at all seriously. If anything, Mr Prentis should be complaining about the first part of the piece, Clarkson's dismissal of the strike as having any impact at all.

EDIT: This link provides a transcript of the complete version: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15993558.

** - To be fair, hyperbole seems to be Clarkson's one and only comic string, on which he plays incessantly.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Not sure, but I think Clarkson says these things to get noticed. He probably wet his bed as a teenager, too....
    Ursa major

I understand that he has another DVD coming out. (It may or may not be the same one as the Top Gear at the Movies.)
    Interference

Interference Destroyer of Words

Well, obviously, what other reason would he have for doing The One Show? :D
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

Apparently later on the same program he also said:

“I do sometimes use the train to come to London but it always stops in Reading. It’s always because somebody has jumped in front of it and somebody has burst. You just think, why have we stopped because we’ve hit somebody? What’s the point of stopping? It won’t make them better.”

The thing is that if established comedians came out with these things they could probably get away with it because they're saying it for a laugh, not because they really mean it - it's their job and you can take it or leave on that basis.

However, Clarkson describes himself and a broadcaster, journalist and writer. The impression given by the man is that somewhere deep down he actually beleives these things.
    Ursa major

There are two ways one can think of Clarkson, as a comedian or as a joke, depending on one's point of view. To treat him as being serious...? That way lies madness.

(Whether he believes anything he says is moot. We have no way of telling, as he always seems to be 'in character' when near a microphone or wordprocessor.)
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Having lost two days' holiday waiting in for a council plumber (who didn't turn up either day and took three visits to fix the problem when he eventually got off his a**e) and having known people to wait months for 'Essential,' repairs from council tradesmen, I can understand why people get angry.

The fact is, that apart from Hospital staff and ambulance drivers, it can be difficult to tell the difference between strike action and normal activity for many public sector workers.
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

Ökuþórr

Ökuþórr In my chariot of awesome

I watched the episode live, and as folks have said above, he was joking/intentionally trying to wind people up.
    I think I heard on the news that they apologized because they got about five thousand complaints. The One Show gets a few million viewers. I always wonder why they roll out the apologies and condemnations when so few (compared to the actual number of viewers) complain or even care.
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

because if they don't the Daily Mail wind it up - look at what happened with the gay sex scene in Torchwood over I think 500 complaints or because I am tired and can't think of any other the one complaint received over John Barrowman getting his bits out on radio (still wonder how many complained the web cam wasn't working).
    Ökuþórr

Ökuþórr In my chariot of awesome

The Daily Mail be damned. Let them have their hissy fits. If we (and the broadcasters) just ignored their crap and got on with things their exaggerations and other nonsense would go largely unnoticed.

Only 500 hundred complaints about a gay scene? That sounds like progress. Now if we could just ignore those last 500 complainers.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

Clarkson is a fool. We laugh at him - not with him - and this should be remembered by all of us when he opens his mouth.
    J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Well, I wasn't offended but, then again, I'm sure Rosa Luxemburg or those Nigerian unionists who stood in the way of big oil and the local junta might not see the funny side.

Actually, lets type 'trade' 'union' plus 'shot' into Google. Not a LOLsy view of our contemporary world (I daren't press 'images', that's for sure). But I digress...

What really annoys me about Clarkson is his fence-sitting, am-I-or-aren't-I stance. If you're only pretending to have these views and are acting in character then, please, at some point say- 'when I am on telly I am playing a character' (which is what Ricky Gervais has done several times) or, stand by these views and take the public outcry and admonishment (not to mention drop in appearances and revenue) like an adult (or, more precisely, Jim bloody Davidson).

JC just reminds me of those secondary school 'class clown' bullies who make nasty remarks lightly powdered with humour and then make their victims they're in the wrong because they 'can't take a joke'.

At times I could be one of those bullies and its something I absolutely regret. A shame, because if I had no regret about it I could be making millions now by perming my hair and saying a Korean built car is shoddy because they were 'eating a canine at the time' or that gay rights means 'my right not to get bummed'.

What? Clarkson said it. Oh come on, grow up, he didn't mean it...
    thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Active Member

Just read that apparently the line was agreed with the BBC beforehand, and was basically scripted by/with the producer.

I think it was crass, but the reaction has been even worse. Taking legal advice over a stupid comment is rather pathetic, and indicative of the poor state of freedom of speech in this country (reminds me, writ small, of the woman arrested for reading out the names of the dead at the Cenotaph).