Best Batman comics?

spider from mars

Evening all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for awesome Batman graphic novels? I've read Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum, all of which I loved. I'm hating the newer ones (where Dick Grayson is Batman), so would like to pick up a few more old-school ones if possible.

I was thinking maybe of starting with Hush, and saw Hush Unwrapped in waterstone's the other day which looked amazing. Or maybe Black Mirror? Any help deciding greatly appreciated!

Do you need graphic novels? The Batman titles in the new 52 are Bruce Wayne again are top-notch in story and art.

I like the Batman "Black & White" books, there's three volumes and they collect a wide range of notable artists and writers so its a fine cross-section of many different kinds of Batman stories.

I would suggest checking out GCPD, its a great series. Not really about Batman, its about the Police Department... it reads a lot like The Wire, except vs insane supervillains. Fans of Batman Year One would enjoy it I think.

I personally really disliked Hush. It seems that Jeph Loeb only knows how to write 1 type of Batman story which he keeps writing over and over again. The "mystery killer" story. That and Jim Lee and I don't get along. But you might enjoy it.

Get Detective comics GNs written by Paul Dini. He is the best Batman writer when it comes to detective,crime stories.

Gotham Central GNs are also important even if they are about Gotham police,Gotham villains. They show unique view on Batman city,world.

I personally really disliked Hush.
I didn't like Hush that much either and, in retrospect, it was the beginning of my declining interest in Batman.

My recommendation would be The Killing Joke.

I recently got into Gotham Central and really love it. I'm thrilled to see a new edition for volume 4 coming out next year here in the states.

I'd recommend Batman: War Games on top of the others. And there's new editions of Batman: No Man's Land coming out, too, but I was easily able to pick up the older editions. Of course, new editions start coming out once I get the older ones lol.

I liked Hush personally, although I found the big reveal too predictable. The Killing Joke is pure awesome, and Knightfall is a good read too I thought.

Hush is quite good. If you liked Long Halloween, you'll enjoy Hush. Also check out Dark Victory, TLH's sequel.
I'd also suggest Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, which is essentially the de facto Joker origin story as well as a damned good book.

Also if you haven't read The Cult yet, stop reading this and pick it up right now.

Miller's Dark Knight Returns is the best. Year One is right up there with it. Moore's Killing Joke is pretty good. Long Halloween and Dark Victory are both solid. Hush and Heart of Hush are entertaining. Knightfall is important, and anybody who likes Batman should read a little of No Man's Land.

I'm particularly fond of Paul Dini's Detective stuff in 800s. There are at least two tpbs of it - Detective and Death and the City. They're both great, or at least the Dini stuff is. Royal McGraw is markedly inferior.

I can recommend two excellent Batman collections of comic book reprints.

Batman in the Seventies

Great collection of dark and brooding tales illustrated by many artists including my favorite Batman artist, Neal Adams.

The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told

A fantastic collection of very strange and interesting stories of the mighty Batman.

I was overjoyed to see one of my favorite tales (drawn by Neal Adams), called "The Batman Nobody Knows" (1973)

The story: Bruce Wayne listens to children talk about their personal ideas about what the caped crusader is really like. When they finish, Bruce surprises them by making an appearence as Batman.

some suggestions
batman in the 40's to batman in the 80's (one graphic novel for each decade) - fairly good outline of batmans history
batman by neal adams volumes 1-3 - all of neal adams batman work in 3 hardcovers - classic stuff although it is a bit pricey
tales of the demon
dk returns and dk strikes again
year one
gothic
blind justice
the cult
venom

Batman by Neal Adams volumes 1-3

- all of Neal Adams Batman work in 3 hardcovers - classic stuff although it is a bit pricey

Nice to meet you Robo2.

Thanks for the info about the Neal Adams collection. I'm going to look into that. Here's a couple more BATMAN suggestions.

Batman/Spawn - Quite a fantastic team-up.

Batman: Dreamland - The caped vigilante discovers AREA 51.

A death in the family and it's follow up are kind of important- though the art isn't my favourite. I like the Loeb stories although I agree that Hush was the exhausted point in that style. I really like Kingdom Come which about the aftermath of JLA and 'the end of the world'- it's mainly about Superman, but Batman is the coolest part of it (and I don't follow JLA.)
Kevin Smith Batmans are easy to read, but a little annoying, nice action. There are a few Batman animated stories that are winner. The Red Hood (or something to do with Red Hood) is worth watching, and the original Batman of the future feature (not the series) is really good.

if i could only by one batman graphic novel it would be year one, just better than dark knight returns, in my opinion