An interesting blog post on maxing your writing time.

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by J-WO, Nov 21, 2011.

J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

David B

David B New Member

Awesome leap in output. The knowledge and enthusiasm sides of her triangle seem to work well together in a short period of preparation prior to writing. I'll definitely give it a go.

I'm not sure I'll be time recording and analysing activity to the extent she adopted. Food for thought though.
    Anne Lyle

Anne Lyle Fantastical historian

Thanks for posting that, J-WO - I really need to improve my productivity if I'm going to hit Angry Robot's deadlines, and being methodical about it appeals to my left-brain :)
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

writeordie can be useful to increase output - I use it and a chatroom.
    Anne Lyle

Anne Lyle Fantastical historian

The idea of losing my words would stress me out too much to write - I prefer suitable background music to put me in the mood :)
    TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

An interesting post indeed! I'll be mulling this over. Also, "Write Or Die" was an interesting mention too (though I did read it as Write Ordie, as in Geordie, and was at a bit of a loss as to what that might be!)
    J-WO

If you can't write fast enough you get dunked in a vat of Newcastle Brown.
    Dozmonic

Dozmonic Member

Good post, covers a lot of ground I've been experimenting with. Having a dry list of what a scene is going to be about does increase the speed of writing drastically. I've managed to hit 1.5k words per hour on average writing long hand when I've done that. I type a lot faster than I write, but I get distracted by internet/games/photoshop. One of these days I'll get a laptop, install ubuntu on it so no games work. Destroy its network card so I can't go online and lock myself in a dark room with just some pringles, a cup of tea and an idea. Then I'll hit 10,000 words per HOUR!!!!! (Well, maybe 2k)
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

LOL I so get that. I do both (my characters are based on singers so they sing to me as I work) - it's my fear of losing it that makes it work so well. Writing for twenty minutes solo I write about 2-300 words. In the chatroom without writeordie I get about 600 - chatroom challenges and writeordie together I get 800-1100 words in the same timeframe and I find the quality isn't much different, it is draft dependant rather time.
    J-WO

I gotta say, I'm such a slow writer compared to you guys. I mean it. Its the one thing about my writing that really annoys me. Needless to say, I enjoyed the article a great deal.
    AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Active Member

Every writer approaches it differently - I tend to pay for speed by spending longer editing, so it probably balances out. I know writers with work published that write a 100 words in the 20 minutes and others that are reliable at throwing out 900+
    thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Active Member

Very interesting article, which I'm going to steal for my next blogpost :p

I'm a middling-speed writer, I'd guess. Maybe 1,500 words a day, at the most. When I write something new I'll try re-reading that article to see if it helps.