A thought about Game of Thrones on TV

It's a year since my re-read of ACoK, but I thought the arrival of the Tyrells at Kings Landing, much later in the book, was something of a surprise. This was possible because of the way the books are structured: if there is no PoV character somewhere, events simply cannot be shown. The readers have come to expect this.

In the TV show, where a lot of the important behind-the-scenes-activity (in the book) is being shown**, I suspect there might very well be complaints if this arrival had come completely out of the blue.

** - Enough for the non-book-reading section of the TV audience to believe that they're seeing everything.

It's a shame about the brave companions, I was really looking forward to see Vargo Hoat!

I was wondering when are they going to start talking about Beric's company.

And what's Roose Bolton doing with Robb? He should be in Harrenhal!

As for Tywin, I think they really captured his character, with his devotion to family. What I think they haven't shown enough of is his hate for Tyrion.

SPOILERS

How ever my guess is that the warlock Pyat Pree himself or some one else working for the undying took the dragons and thats how she will end up @ the house of the undying. Quaith will show up to tell her or Jorah. There she will go in, do her thing, see her visions and @ the end come across her dragons who will join back to her and burn the place down!! how ever this is not what im all jazzed up to see next wk im deff more excited to see the other story lines unfold further instead lol
Pretty sure your right here, it will be the reason she goes to the House of the Undying. Still don't like it though!

I envy all you that can watch second season already, who knows when it will be broadcasted in my country :(

Some of us refuse to finance Mr Murdoch (by subscribing to Sky Atlantic) and so are waiting for the DVDs (due 2013).

Book Spoilers Following

I havnt' read Clash for some time now (about eight months :p), but as to why isn't Bolton in Harrenhall yet: Doesn't he not show up there until Arya and Jaquen free some prizoners and take Harrenhall from the Lanisters? Does seem like the Companions should be there if they were going to end up in the mix.

My guess is that there will be no Brave Companions, or not in way we know them from the book anyway. If they do appear I think it will be in series 3 for what should be for some dramatic scenes with Jaime.

Spoilers ahead!
I agree with you about the Brave Companions. They're crucial for book 3 (which is split into 2 seasons, isn't it?)

From Wiki of Ice and Fire:
Ser Edmure Tully commands Roose to join up with Ser Helman Tallhart coming down from the Twins and to retake Harrenhal.[8]
Hoping to take Harrenhal without weakening his army, Roose makes a deal with Vargo Hoat, leader of the Brave Companions, unsavory sellswords in the employ of Lord Tywin. The Companions pretend to take a group of Bolton's men prisoner that then seized the castle, taking out the small Lannister garrison left behind and opening the gates to the rest of Bolton's men. This was done with the aid of an incognito Arya Stark and the assassin Jaqen H'ghar.

Roose didn't go west with Robb's army. I guess he's there because the audience has to get familiar with him, in order for the Red Wedding and the burning of Winterfell to be understandable.

I know people are saying parts have been altered, not least Dany's dragons being stolen - but I've got admit I haven't noticed any real change of detail, probably because I didn't remember so much! So far the TV series feels very true to the spirit of the books.

And all I remember of Dany since the first book was "She wanders around an exotic eastern city, facing treachery everywhere". And not really doing much.

Something I do find interesting - some of the pieces mentioned as changed seem to knit the character subplots together better. For example, Tywin with Araya, and Littlefinger appearing helped ensure that Harrenhal was joined up to the general war against the north and the general world politics.

Just out of curiosity, did they ever explain why they changed Asha's name to Yara in the show?

Too close to Osha, if I remember. Asha. Osha. Pronounciation too confusing for mass American audience.

To answer Boaz's question in another thread, yes I saw last night's episode and loved it! Was this the one GRRM wrote?

Watching Stannis scale the wall at the same time Joff is running to hide under his bed! Very nice!

Bronn was at his oily best! Love him!

When Tyrion got his first slice (even though it was from behind!) my watching buddies all went "Holy sh*t!" Loved it!

How's this for a coincidence: Bronn once had a UK number one hit with the song, Unchained Melody....

Okay, that was Jerome Flynn rather than Bronn, the part he's playing. Somebody commenting on the Grauniad's website has just reminded us that Jerome was one half of the singing pair, Robson & Jerome. Flynn and Robson Green's singing career began when they were called upon to sing Unchained Melody while acting in the UK TV show, Soldier, Soldier.

Rather appropriate don't you think?

Last edited:
The Hound stole the show, each line was powerful and exactly how I imagined it in my head when reading his dialogue.

Tyrion's speech was great.

Bronn was funny as usual.

Cersei pwned Lancel on the floor LOL, his cry had me in stitches.

The end song was great, the Rain of Castamere, fit for Tywin.

It was a great episode. The thing that stood out the most for me was GRRM captured the ugliness of war in a way that I have never seen done before. The killing was ugly. People were scared. Anyone with a conscience was horrified and appalled by what they had done. Joffrey (of course) looked happy to see the carnage. The pyromancer (Hallen?) sounded as if he just had a Betty White orgasm.

The Hound was great. The scene with him and Bronn was as well. I would love to see that fight. Tyrion was great. Cersei was amazing. Sansa was terrific. The whole damn episode was just off the charts great.

The pyromancer (Hallen?) sounded as if he just had a Betty White orgasm.

Imp, you do know that the pyromancer is our favorite Guiness Book world record holder Audio narrator, Roy Detrice!

Just thought i would point that out since some of us have been listening to his awesomeness for a long time....lol

Back