November Book Releases

J-Sun

November Releases

I'd think about the Kafkaesque anthology if I saw it in a used book store. I'd have to read more of Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict novels assuming I'd want to catch up to Firebird (a lot of them, as I've never read anything since A Talent for War, though it's good). And, if I didn't already have the contents, I'd want Poul Anderson's Captain Flandry. But, as is, another month goes by where I see a flood of every media tie imaginable, an avalanche of fantasies, and nothing I want.

(Actually, there's an exception to that - I'm not a big fantasy guy but I may actually want to give Daryl Gregory's Raising Stony Mayhall a try (yes, me, thinking about reading the year's trillionth zombie novel) mainly because of the brilliant idea of anti-horror, as well as discussion and excerpts and, that being the case, I might well want to try Unpossible and Other Stories. Anybody know if this is actually good?)

How about you? What looks good to you?

11/22/63, Stephen King.

The Exegesis, by PKD

Those, along with finishing 1Q84, will probably take up all of my November.

Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

I second that. I must say, I really like the cover. Very atypical for Fantasy.

I noticed that Sanderson has apparently written a novelisation of the iOS game Infinity Blade. I didn't know about that. I'm disappointed, really. Wouldn't think an accomplished writer would need to accept such "cash in" assignments.

And number 1 on the list is... 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I read the summary over at Amazon; no offense to any King fans, but it sure does sound terrible.

Darn, I saw it listed for November release on Locus online. :(
Amazon might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but given the fact that it's been delayed so much already - and given the reasons behind the delays - I wouldn't like to bank on it.

Amazon might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but given the fact that it's been delayed so much already - and given the reasons behind the delays - I wouldn't like to bank on it.

Yeah I spoke to the publisher and we're definitely looking at March due to his ill health. Darn.

The English translation of Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery comes out November 8th. He is a great writer, and this latest has been getting good reviews.

The English translation of Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery comes out November 8th. He is a great writer, and this latest has been getting good reviews.
Huh? I picked that book up about three days ago in Melbourne. That was the paperback version. My copy is by Harvill and Secker of London with an orange cover and gold lettering. It will be intersating to know if you receive something different to this.

Anyway I agree he is a superb writer, one of Italy's finest post war novelists without a doubt. I have all of Umberto's fiction. He has a marvelous imagination with a brain that would run rings around today's supercomputers....:)