Parson's Happy 100th

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Parson, Oct 24, 2011.

Parson

Parson This world is not my home

On April 1, 2011 I committed myself to losing weight. Today, October 24, 2011, the scale tells me that I have lost 100 pounds. My weight loss fills me with joy. I would never have thought that I could lose this much weight.

How did I do it? Well the short answer is diet and exercise. At the present time I am limiting my calories to between 15 and 18 hundred and I am walking 4 miles a day at a 16 min. a mile pace. Not really fast, but quicker than a stroll by a bit. The longer answer I also had a lap band surgery, which is a diet aid. (If you would like more info on this I could provide it.) My surgeon said that he thought I could reasonably expect to lose 100 pounds, but that people my size more normally lost between 60 and 80 pounds. I therefore made 100 pounds my minimum goal, a 120 pounds my real goal, and after talking to my personal physician I am considering 150 pounds my ultimate goal.

Here are some milestones I have reached along the way.

I no longer need to take insulin, and my oral medication is ½ what it was.
    My blood pressure is now excellent
    My cholesterol is now good.
    My pants size has shrunk by a foot.
    I rode my bicycle for the first time in 30 years.
    I went swimming for the first time in 15 years.
    I was asked to speak at surgeon’s orientation class for people considering weight loss surgery.
    My diabetes coach would like me to speak at diabetes management class.

It is a good run, and I would encourager anyone who wants to change their life to try it.
    alchemist

alchemist Not on holidays

Congratulations, Parson! You've lost a whole little person.

I've started a health kick myself in the last month, due to having hit my highest ever weight (I'm in the "bit overweight" category) at one of the kids' birthday parties, and looking like it on the video. Today's 4 weeks in and i've lost 10 pounds - just diet and exercise though, and a lot less exercise than you. Well done!
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

Parson, that's an astonishing achievement. I've never had to lose more than five or six pounds at a time, but even being a keen cyclist, swimmer etc, I found it very difficult (mostly because I couldn't keep my hands off the cake). Your discipline must be incredible.

Even so, I'm surprised that you managed to lose so much so quickly. 100 pounds of fat equates to 350,000 calories, which over 210 days is a caloric defecit of 1,666 per day. If you're still consuming, say, 1,700, that's a "normal" daily requirement of 3,366, which seems pretty high even allowing for an hour's walking. I assume my basic "calories in -vs- calories out" model must be missing something.

Anyway, you're right that diet+exercise is key -- it's very difficult to do it with only one -- and the fact that you can now ride your bike again should make any further loss even easier.
    Parson

Alchemist and Harebrain: Thanks for the encouraging words. But I do not consider myself overly disciplined at all. I do however have a bit of an addictive personality (notice the 2000 plus posts) and I now no longer feel right about a day without a good solid walk.

I am looking for some kind of a calorie in calorie out model. If I find something I'll post it here.
    BookStop

BookStop If you see a stranger...

I've heard of others losing vast amounts of weight with the lap-band. Not sure why it makes such a difference than just cutting the calories and upping the exercise, but it sure does.

Took me 1 and half years of exercising between 1 and 3 hours a day, and maintaining a vegan diet to lose just over 100lbs, which I've maintained over a year now. I don't exercise like I did, now that I've evened out, and perhaps just do 4 hours a week to keep me humming.

It's odd how medical science can't come up with something exactly right on to 'prescribe' for each individual. Some folk work, and work, and work, to achieve a good amount of health but little weight loss, and others have no trouble maintaining low weight, but aren't the healthies bunch.

Either way, Parson, it seems you've found the perfect balance for you, and it's pretty exciting to see how you've come so far!
    HareBrain

It's quite difficult to calculate the basic maintenance requirements of the body, because it can vary so much. For example, one reason diet alone almost never works is that the body goes into "famine mode" and then uses fewer calories than before to just keep things going. But it's true that the heavier a person is, the more calories he'll consume just being alive (more body to maintain) so that might account for some of the difference.

But the important thing is that you did it, not the exact mechanics of how.
    Quokka

Quokka wandering

Congratulations Parsons (and everyone else here as well) that's a huge achievement, I started noticing the first signs of diabetes a few years ago and so started to get serious about my own health. So far I'm lighter and fitter now than I have been in at least the last 15 years. It's great to know that not only have I improved health problems that I have or had like the diabetes signs, snoring etc but it puts you in a much better place to deal with health problems as they arise in the future as well.

Again congrats on all your successes and all the best going forward :).
    Mouse

Mouse roar

Congratulations Parson! You need a dog, that'll keep you fit. ;)
    Parson

Thanks Everyone! and bite your tongue Mouse. I don't want a dog at all. My daughter who lives with us between jobs and husbands (sigh!) always seems to have at least one half trained dog with her. The messes I've seen and cleaned up:eek: have made dogs very low on the totem poll of desirability.

Harebrain: My search turned up exactly what you said. And it is exactly true that the human body does not usually give rational results in regard to weight loss, and certainly not over the short run.

What may have fouled you up was that early in the process (weeks 2-6) I was on liquid diet and consuming less that a 1000 calories a day. In April I lost 20 pounds, and 28 pounds in May.

Bookstop: Congratulations yourself!!! Maintaining a weight loss for a year is a remarkable achievement. I am in awe of your ability to maintain a vegan diet.

The lap band is advertised as a "diet aid." It is not a magic pill. It makes it very difficult to eat a large meal comfortably. But it can be beaten I know of one woman who lost 60 pounds and has them all back on and then some. She decided to keep a bowl of M and M's on her desk in her office with predictable results.
    Perpetual Man

Perpetual Man Former Comment Giver

Congratulations Parson, that is an excellent achievement, something to be really proud of, reflecting most excellent on your character and strength of will.

I know how hard losing weight can be and just wish it can be applied to everyone who needs it.

Really well done!
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Hey, that's excellent news, Parson. :) It's always good to hear that someone is willing and able to get into better physical health.

I should be trying to lose weight myself, but, I can't do a four mile walk or anything like that, and I really don't consume too many calories each day, to be quite honest. At least, I don't think I do, and for breakfast I usually have a high-fiber cereal anyway.

My mother wants me to try swimming but I'm a huge aquaphobe. :p Anyway, good to keep up the healthy lifestyle, Parson, and don't be tempted back into bad habits by anything you see or hear. :) I'm sure your family is all very proud of you as well. :)
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Congratulations, Parson! I lost a lot of weight a few years back, almost entirely through exercise, but in the last couple of years it's started to creep back on again, and it's harder and harder to work off the weekend's excesses during the week. Must. Try. Harder.
    TheDustyZebra

TheDustyZebra Ninja agent Staff Member

Congratulations, Parson! Excellent work!

I'm just trying to keep losing and not gain again this year during the Chocolate Holidays -- otherwise known as Halloween through Easter. :D
    HareBrain

Something for chocoholics to consider: a large portion of one's calorie expenditure goes on maintaining body temperature. The colder it gets, the more calories you burn. Keeping the house unheated in winter not only burns more calories, but saves you money you can then spend on more chocolate!
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

Well done, Parson - it's stories like yours that make me determined to lose some of the 260 pounds I'm presently carrying about. My problem isn't so much the weight as the distribution - I'm over 6 feet tall, with broad shoulders, but it's the bay window at the front that I want to lose and 12 inches of the waistband sounds great. Thanks for telling me it can be done.
    Parson

Karn said:

Thanks for the kind wishes. I have two comments. One is "high fiber" is often high calories, so.... healthy, but..... The other is I would track the number of calories you eat by keeping a journal. It might surprise you how much you eat, amount and calorie denseness can vary greatly.

The Judge:
    Thanks your honor. I am sure you can do it. Anyone who made it through law school surely has the discipline needed if called upon.

Dusty Zebra
    Thanks muchly..... watch the chocolate holidays.:D

Pyan
    It can indeed be done. They tell me that if you keep track of everything you eat, you lose about a third more weight on average.
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Well done, Parson!

I'm so glad that you no longer need insulin and that you feel so much better for the weight loss. It must be great to be able to enjoy your bike rides once again.

I lost 40 kilos last year but I see that the clothes in the wardrobe have shrunk again :(
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Congratulations Parson, that is some achievement
    Parson

What is particularly great about the bike rides is that I take them with 2 of my grandkids. Those shrinking clothes are a real danger.:rolleyes:

Nixie: Thanks for the kind words.
    J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

Sterling stuff, chap!