The Victorian Steampunk Navajo Afghan - pictures

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheDustyZebra, Oct 19, 2011.

TheDustyZebra

TheDustyZebra Ninja agent Staff Member

For those of you who have any idea what that means, and actually care, here are pictures of the project I finished last week for my nephew's wedding (it's a Victorian Steampunk Wedding, hence the name):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    hopewrites

hopewrites Happily Ever Aftering

holy wow! is that single crochet? *mind boggles* You have my undieing respect and admiration! Beautiful, heartfelt, warm... ever thing an afghan should be.

*wonders if she could get the pattern*
    StormFeather

StormFeather http://gratefuldaize.blog

Wow!

That is lovely. And HUGE!!!! I bet it was nice to snuggle up under as it got bigger.

It's certainly something that your nephew and his family will treasure, and I'm sure it will become a much loved family heirloom.

Am hugely impressed (and slightly jealous of your nephew!) ;):D:D:D
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

My goodness, what an enormous amount of work and an enormous amount of love must have gone into that one. And it looks like the result justifies the effort!
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

It's lovely -- and a very striking pattern, particularly in those colours. I could never get on with crochet, but my mum did lots of bed-spreads out of odd bits of wool, but never anything like that! Well done!
    TheDustyZebra

Aww, thank you thank you!

Yes, it is single crochet -- the pattern is made with a double crochet into the second row down, but the rest is single. It was about two and a half months' worth of 5-6 rows a day; I had to make a chart like I did with NaNo to keep track of where I ought to be at any given point. Mostly falling behind during the week and then playing catch-up on the weekends. :)

Hope, I'll send you the pattern -- you can make it any size, just calculating how many repeats you need to make it come out even.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Mum used to do christening shawls, but that's another level entirely.

Nice piece, though.
    StormFeather

ooh - can I have the pattern too please? I love it!

(may take a while before I get to do anything with it - got so many projects on the go as it is! ;))
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

That is absolutely amazing. My mum, her sisters and my gran used to crochet and knit blankets but nothing as beautiful as that.
    hopewrites

hopewrites Happily Ever Aftering

*picks jaw up off the floor* ONLY 2.5 months?? I made one 2/3 maybe 1/2 that size in 4 months but it was double or half-double i forget which, wow! I am going to have to try out this chart thing to see if i can get my work along faster.
    Again my heartiest congratulations and undieing respect. I know that last tie off comes with a feeling of accomplishment like nothing else.
    TheDustyZebra

Well, that's all the time I had -- I got the announcement at the end of July, and the wedding is this Saturday. :D So I just figured out how many rows I had to make (I have one that my mother made, for comparison), and how many days I had until it had to be shipped, and that came out to 5-6 rows a day. 5, and 5, and 6, actually, is how I wrote it down. I think I only missed two days entirely, and did at least a row or two every day otherwise.

It was hard to part with it, though. He'd better appreciate it! :D
    Mouse

Mouse roar

Pretty fantastic, TDZ. What do young people say? You got skillz. ;)
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

Looks lovely. And black and white stripes, with brown and grey ... very dusty zebra!
    Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

That's beautiful, TDZ. I've knitted blankets before (albeit knitted squares, and turned it into a patchwork), but I don't think I could make something like that! Nicely done!:)
    TheDustyZebra

Ha! I hadn't thought of that! :D

Mouse, I have no idea what young people say -- isn't that awful? If I did know what they said, I still wouldn't know what they meant. My daughter (5) says "sick, man!" and I think that means she likes it. But then again, "sometimes bad is bad."

Talysia, I'm sure you could -- if I can, anyone can! This is the first time I've ever attempted anything on a monstrous scale. It's just a little bit every day, and great things happen. :)
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

Mad skillz!

And mad skillz they definitely are. Wow! I bet that bad boy is so warm.
    Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Dusty Horse, you have my undying respect and admiration! Wow is that nice.
    StormFeather

Well, I've succumbed! Am in the process of using this pattern to create a baby blanket for my newest niece (just a week old!:)).

What doesn't show up so well on TDZ's photo's but is just so beautiful, is the embossed pattern that comes through - it's fab!

Maybe will post up a pic when I've done a bit more. It is seriously addictive though :D:D
    TheDustyZebra

Yay, SF! Glad I've gotten someone else addicted. Sorry about the pictures. I want to see yours! Oh, and congratulations on the new niece -- maybe you can make her a bedspread when she gets married. You have more time to plan than I did, starting 3 months out. :)