Capital Offences

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by The Judge, Oct 14, 2011.

The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

I'm having trouble with capital letters

-- I typed the above all in CAPS but it changed to lower case except for the first letter

THIS I'M TYPING IN CAPS,TOO

And for some reason that shows -- but even if I try and edit the first line it remains lower case.

Sometimes the following lines ALSO CHANGE TO LOWER, INCLUDING THE FIRST LETTER, but not in this instance for some reason.

This is a new laptop. The caps are coming fine in Word, and I don't frequent other forums to see if it's happening elsewhere.

Any ideas, anyone?
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

I SEEM TO RECALL THIS HAPPENING TO ME, WHEN I WAS STARTING THE FIRST LINE OF THE POST WITH A TLA (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT).

So I doubt it's your laptop at fault.

EDIT: on the other hand, it didn't decapitalise what I've just typed. (Perhaps the one-letter word, I, fooled it somehow. Probably not, though.)

* Am very puzzled. *
    HareBrain

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

I tried to type a couple of posts in all caps in the "shout your frustrations" thread, and the software decapitalised them (apart from the first letter)

Can't work out the rule for when it does and when it doesn't.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT AT ALL CAPITALS.

And this is lower case.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT AT ALL CAPITALS.

And this is lower case.

Edit: Sorry about the double post. But I was trying that using both the quick reply and the post reply options. However both have generated exactly what I typed (deliberately avoided your single letter first word Ursa). Maybe it's something in the settings; there is an option for three different editor modes and maybe it does this in one of those different modes. Mine is currently set to Endhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG editing.
    The Judge

I can't do capitals in the first line

EDIT: THE ABOVE WAS WRITTEN IN CAPS AGAIN -- AND THE FIRST "I" MADE NO DIFFERENCE.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Trying the standard editor

Ah ha. That was entered in all CAPs. the only thing I changed was my default editor type. If you go to your control panel and select Edit Options then go to almost the bottom of the page to Message Editor Interface. With that set to Standard Editor I get my capitals changed to lowercase but if you change it to Enhanced Editor it stays in capitals. 'fraid I don't know what else might change though.
    Ursa major

I'm on that enhanced interface with full WYSIWYG.

I'll take your word that one of the other editor interfaces causes a problem. It still doesn't explain why I've had problems in the past, but as long as this doesn't recur, I'll let sleeping dogs lie.
    The Judge

ANOTHER GO IN CAPS

Thanks for the attempt, Vertigo, but on checking, I see I'm already in "Enhanced Interface -- Full WYSIWYG Editing" so it's not that. Curiouser and curiouser.

EDIT: Definitely curiouser -- the caps came right this time!!
    The Judge

Sorry for double posting -- experiment.

EDIT: but not that time...

The difference was for the above post I started originally with what is now the second paragraph, then thought to try with caps again so pushed that para down the screen and inserted what is now the first para. It seems it's something to do with the first line, and what it still thinks is the first line even when it isn't.
    Ursa major

That's weird. It's almost as if it has a set of rules that are working on an editing buffer**, which are applied in one way until something indicates a paragraph break. When you move up the editing window, these movements could be being seen as additional characters, ones beyond the rule change, in the editing buffer.

** - Which would be a string of printable characters and control characters.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

I suspect it is probably some sort of rule put in there to try and stop people posting entire posts in capitals. As to why changing editor made it behave one way for one editor and the other for the other editor (for me at least) I cannot begin to guess. I guess then that once you start the second paragraph and the first is not in capitals then that check is turned off. Not unusual to apply tests to only the first in thing in a collection (in this case the first paragraph in the post). But then if you "fool" it by starting a second paragraph with which you later replace the first and it does no testing on it. Just a guess but maybe...
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Indeed, there's an anti-caps setting ("Stop Shouting") to stop people posting threads with titles all in caps.

However, I didn't think it applied to posts as well. However, it does seem as though this is what is happening.

I could reverse the setting, but that would also affect thread titles, too, and I'd much prefer thread titles to keep as is.

We are currently running an older line of vbulletin that is no longer updated so there's room for bugs to creep in, so I think I will need to upgrade the forum software soon.
    The Judge

Thanks, Brian (and Vertigo and Ursa).

Whatever the glitch is, it isn't consistent, as I was able to do a first line in caps in a more recent post. But as long as it isn't my end that's the problem, I can cope!