Aspiring Writers- Beware 'The Write Agenda'- scammer's web site!

J-WO

Author of 'Pennyblade' and 'Feral Space'
Leicester, The Las Vegas of the Midlands!
Just bumped into this on John Scalzi's blog, where he goes into greater detail than me.

Basically, in response to SFWA's Writer Beware--which has had much success in identifying con artist 'publishers' etc--a bunch of con-artist publisher types have set up a website in an attempt to counter/ smear the good people at WB. The website is called The Write Agenda, who purport to be a group of concerned writers and publishers (though, curiously, they don't identify themselves).

I've visited and, I must say, it's a real Lionel Hutz operation. Flashing windows appear telling you you've won something, for crying out loud. Even when these guys are trying to come over professional and pro bono they can't help but try and mess around. The shill gene runs deep. The spelling is attrocious at times too.

There's even a page explaining why Yog's law (ie- 'money should always flow toward the writer') is a lie. There's even a flashy flow chart to 'prove' it.

Avoid.

The only good side is that for the scammers to try such a crazy gambit, Writer Beware must be choking their funds. And the writer community wising up...

Thanks for pointing this out, J-WO.

Here's hoping you're soon on TWA's Author Boycott list. :)

I can't even read the flow chart, the print is so small, and it looks so insanely complicated that I doubt I would understand it if I could read it.

I suppose it's intended to be that way, because it's harder to refute it if you can't follow it's supposed arguments.

But the hostility toward Strauss, Crispin, and Macdonald is so over-the-top, does anyone actually believe what TWA is saying?

Some people will, if only because no idea is so stupid that no-one will accept it.

You could have mentioned me, while you were at it. I would enjoy the prestige.

(Clearly I need to be even more adamant against publishing scams when the subject comes up around here. I feel I have been remiss.)

Where did you put this request? I can't find any discussion or comments on the page you linked to.

Thank you very much. "Absurd and devious." I wish I had actually put it so eloquently. I bet your first comment was a treat, too.

It's really hard to take these people seriously when they run around with grocery bags on their heads, or stand around faceless in sinister hoodies, like Ted Kaczynski or someone.

I mean, really, Halloween isn't for weeks. It's too soon for inappropriate little boys to be dressing up as the Unabomber.

Their website actually made my brain hurt. I don't get it. What's the point of it? Too many links, too many links!

I can see all three of your comments, J-WO, even the one you posted more than seven hours ago.

They're not very fast when it comes to dealing with these applications to join the Author Boycott lists, are they?

(Unless they've been in touch.... No, I'm being a bit thick. That's not their way of operating, is it? They'll be wanting to charge you for being put on the list. It's the only way they know. ;):))

The whole site is rather strange and strikes me as an attack on those that try to help writers.

sheesh. if that's a properly formatted blog, then i'm Jesus. opaque, fuzzy arguments, just like nutcase fundamentalists. somebody's really got a rusty pipe up between their cheeks because the good guys are stopping them scamming people. tellingly, their "watch list" of "good" books is stuffed with books from TurnAround Media - who, on the most cursory inspection, are a vanity company with a terribly designed website, ficticious testimonials, awful grammar skillz, and a "monthly newsletter" that stopped after its third issue...in July 2010.

i'll be very happy to be added to their Author Boycott lists.

and i've just given them a prodding too, Jim. :D

heheh

they deleted my comments and tightened up their facebook page - but not before a few other people said much the same thing as i did....

they're still anonymous, still cowards.

They don't seem to have deleted any of J-WO's comments (unless they've wiped a few which I hadn't noticed).

i did rather suggest that they might be associated with a very dodgy-looking vanity publisher....i don't have Jim's pin-sharp wit, i'm afraid....

Maybe he's on their "Not boycott list."

crivens - that would be a mortal insult in other worlds!

i don't have Jim's pin-sharp wit, i'm afraid....

I think you mean bludgeon-like sarcasm, surely?;)

But it's odd, though- I think only your reference got wiped. Lots of people have put comments up (very heartening) which haven't been touched.

Which Vanity was it? As memory serves you mentioned Publish America, but I mentioned them so why haven't they wiped that as well? Curious...

Maybe I'm some kind of double agent (eek!).

I'm sorry to say that the Wrong Agenda seem to have woken up and deleted everybody's comments now. unless they're visible if you "like" the page. which i certainly do not.