Discussion -- October 2011 Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Discussion October SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE

Great, just spent an hour honing my piece only to realise it probably doesn't fit even the loose genre requirement.

But this theme raises a question: if someone in ordinary reality has a fantastic dream, do the contents of the dream qualify the story as fantasy?

And also (pertaining to mine) is being set in the future enough to qualify a story as SF?

Yours desperately, etc

Well, I was really debating "open" genre vs. SFF, but I decided that nightmares are by necessity fantasy anyway, so maybe you're ok. :D

Chris has made me nervous - have two children's stories to write for the 15th so I have tweaked a story type verse so it is 75 words. Only his looks much more intelligent.

Are fairy tale children's stories acceptable under SFF ? It's set in Chocolate land and Spice Land. But is isn't a nightmare dream just a nightmare life.

Well, I was really debating "open" genre vs. SFF, but I decided that nightmares are by necessity fantasy anyway, so maybe you're ok. :D

Thank you! My lawyer will contact you if you need to appear for my defence.

Well, I'm not The Judge, just the instigator, so my testimony may not be of any help. :D

We seem to have a slow start this month. :p

I'm still wondering if our resident rodent will be able to come up with anything? Looking back at mine I'm not completely happy with it, but such things must suffer ruthless, brutal editing, chopping all the correct heads off the hydra to keep it alive, but it goes out with a whimper rather than a roar by the end.

Well I've submitted an entry. Struggled with this one a tad.

You wouldn't think cutting three words from a story would be so hard! Of course I've already cut twenty-five, and that was murder....

Posted to save me from eternal revision. Well, maybe not eternal, but a solid month's worth of revision. Now on to the three hundred worder.

Yes but we still have over a week before that opens up, so we have more time to come up with something.

Epitaph angel was a good picture choice. I'm expecting to see a few different takes on it.

Thanks, Teresa! I think it was better at a hundred-odd words, but I'm happy with it. It's odd for me to have been struck by inspiration so early, let alone actually have the story written, but this one wouldn't let me rest until it was done...

Ah, got it posted before I decided to scrap it. Better to get it done, sit back and admire its strengths and weaknesses and only get better.

Some interesting entries already.

I've got one down myself, and have a second idea that I think needs looking at before I think about posting, but the 300 word has taken hold of me at the moment and I've got something I'm trying to bang out, there.

A deep breath and I will begin my comments for the month in between!

Status
Not open for further replies.