Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Discussion thread -- Three Hundred Word Writing Challenge #3

Our goal is to write a Doctor Who episode in 300 words or less? :D

That is a nightmare, indeed. Not to mix up my challenges, of course.

Just wanted to add that I think the 300 word challange is a great addition, there was some inspired by pictures challanges a long time ago and they were always fun. Imo the 75 and 300 word challanges are a really great part SFF chronicles :D.

... badly thought out story to follow at some point.

Badly thought out?

I have to get my rusty old cobwebby gears around the 300 challenge, but I think I might be able to come up with something. After all, don't we still have at least a few hours before we begin?

Since (as with the previous 300 Word Challenges) the thread is locked and you won't be able to post your stories there until October 10, I'd say you have more than a few hours.

300 word challenge? Say what? It's not three months already?

Sheesh, where does that time go?

300 word challenge? Say what? It's not three months already?

Sheesh, where does that time go?

My thoughts exactly!

I love the pic though, so many possibilities!

So many possibilities indeed. It's an epitaph angel in a cemetery but one certainly does not have to make it into such.

I'm thinking things up for it but we still have a week point five about before we can get something down.

I've got an idea and a basic opening already written, but it will most certainly change. All I know for sure is its going to be in the form of a poem.:D

I had an idea that has completely dragged me in. Had it down and written in a few hours, something as far as it flows I'm very happy with.

Unusually for me, like Ökuþórr it is in the form of a poem, and it's one of those that I'm not bothered about in any other way than getting it out.

Unfortunately at 800 words it's slightly over the limit so if I am going to use it I'm going to have to cut it down a bit.

Unfortunately at 800 words it's slightly over the limit so if I am going to use it I'm going to have to cut it down a bit.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? "It didn't seem like 800 words when I was writing it." And then you count them and you learn the awful truth.

Usually I do a rough outline of my stories in advance, so that I know that everything will fit. When I sit down and just let the story flow, I get into trouble. That happened with the last 300 Word Challenge. I am determined that it won't happen this time.

Unfortunately, my determination isn't worth much. As Oscar Wilde said (or one of his characters did, anyway, "I can resist everything but temptation."

I think it's great that we have a 300 word challenge and a 75 word one too. It really helps me keep in practice writing to someone else's idea, and sticking to a word limit.
I felt inspired by the picture and it's nice to be able to have more words to flesh out the story.

Oh the possibilities! So many ideas, so much to work with. Great image.

Well, I have been concentrating on my story far too much, especially when I should be doing something with the 75 word challenge too.

I have managed to chop the story down from 800 words to just over 400, but is starting to really hurt, I'm feeling that I'm butchering something which was a lot better as it was in its full form. I'm not even sure that it will work as anything smaller.

I do not think it was perfect and it needed a bit of work doing to it that much to my disappointment I don't think it is then a work as a 300 word story.

I'll probably start concentrating on the 75 word challenge for a bit, and then come back to this one and try something fresh and new.

As it would be a shame not to do anything with the original 800 word piece, I think I might either post it on my blog at some point, or use it as my written piece sometime in the near future when I breach the 2000 posts mark!

(Of course I might just keep fiddling with it and see what happens because you never know!)

I haven't got very far. I have been ill a while now and am finding it hard to concentrate on anything.:( I hope i can get it finished.

Sorry to hear you've been poorly, Okuporr.** I hope you're feeling better soon.

I've had one or two lines comes out of hte cobwebs, but so far nothing that's gelled into a story. Plenty of time yet, though!

** add your own accents there
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/members/-ku-rr.html

I'm sort of the opposite...
you can tempt anything but resistance?

i am so excited for the depressing little story that leaped out at me as soon as i saw the picture. i'm tweaking it at the moment, wanting to get the tone and over all timbre of the piece to evoke exactly the emotion i felt when i first saw the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.