Tarquin Seebohm Jenkins: Redraft Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bloated One

I am cowering here in Montreal awaiting a knock on the door from Mr Graham's 'friends'. It's only a bl*** apostrophe!

While I wait, I would like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. All were considered. Below is a redraft taking into consideration your comments.

What I find incredibly depressing is how much this short piece needs changing. With another 100,000 already written I am looking up the side of a editing mountain. I should thank Chris Pennycate for taking on the editing of my first three chapters.

Oh well, back to the coal face....

:eek:

The Chesterfield sofa materialized in the hospital emergency port at BIF headquarters, belching smoke and flames. Jules, Tarquin and Archie lay heaped on the sofa, like discarded toys on a child's bed. Rescue crews pulled them clear just before the sofa erupted in a ball of fire. Tarquin lay motionless, face up on the floor. He had a pulse, but it was faint. Professor Tommy Cramdunkle and a team of doctors arrived at the emergency port and like a Formula One pit crew they burst into life, lifting Tarquin onto a hover trolley, running diagnostics and checking his vital signs. As the hover trolley flew down the hospital corridor towards the isolation area, tubes, oxygen and flashing machinery appeared around Tarquin's body.

"Heart rate 160," said a doctor, jogging by the side of the trolley.

"30 milligrams," said another.

Tarquin's head lolled to one side, his eyes bulged and his tongue turned blue.

" Cardiac arrest!" shouted a third.

"Not on my watch," said Tommy, halting the trolley. He worked calmly over Tarquin's chest. Nobody spoke. After several minutes Tommy looked up. "He's back with us," he said, wiping his brow and signalling the hover trolley on it's way.

"He's damn strong," said one of the doctors, as they took Tarquin into isolation.

# # #

After receiving first aid Archie was allowed to leave, but Jules was arrested and charged with manipulating Earth history and saving a cognitive life form. Denied bail, he was given one telecall and taken to Antriconian, the Confederation's Penal Colony. He contacted Archie and told him to travel to the planet Tharg with Alice Cooper in order to find Smodius P. Munchfumble, a Zargothian Advocate.

“Don’t use wormholes,” said Jules, “they’ll be monitoring them. Use your wits."

Before leaving, Archie visited the emergency ward at the hospital. Standing before a plated glass cubicle Archie watched in silence. His time in the future had been fun, but today, the awful realisation that Rhia was dead and Tarquin barely alive hit him hard. He rolled Rhia’s trainee guide hologram disc in his fingers, remembering how proud she had been to receive it. She had no idea about the BIFs and their battles against the Griddleback, Leche and other despotic planets. He looked at the disc and dropped it, cracking it under his boot. Rhia’s fairytale was over and Tarquin’s snuffed out before it had barely begun.

He looked at Tarquin's unconscious body lying inside a silver mesh tunnel covered in a grey metallic shroud. His head, covered by a translucent sphere bubbled away in a blue translucent liquid. A metal collar held the sphere and liquid in place. Moving over his chest at incredible speed flew twenty android arms. Above the arms, a plethora of coloured lights flashed and throbbed in a dervish dance of light. Computer screens full of graphs, coloured bars and screeds of text moved at breakneck speed, relayed to a watching nurse drone. Archie shivered, looking at his new friend. His curly hair had gone and his face was pale and drawn, unconscious inside a light bulb full of effervescing chemicals and boiling like an egg. The surgery and decontamination was expected to last another twenty-four hours.

“Would Archie Campbell please come to the Medical Reception Centre,” a voice boomed from a speaker.

# # #

Professor Tommy Cramdunkle sat forward on his hoverstool inside the command centre high above the patient isolation pods, staring at one particular screen. There was a knock at the open door. The Professor turned to see Archie Campbell standing in the doorway.

“Come in Archie, I have a couple of questions for you.” Tommy, pointed to a hoverstool. “Do you know this Jenkins boy well?”

“Not really,” answered Archie, “but everyone talks of his potential.”

The Professor pressed buttons on a console in front of him. “Look at this.” The screen’s contents magnified and filled with silver roundels eating red and yellow starfish like creatures.

“Ugh! What are those?”

“Dr Phillius Santander’s Nanobots. Millions of them. They shouldn’t be there----only field agents are authorised to use them, but I am damned pleased to see them.”

Archie scratched his head. “They’re. . .” he looked queasy, “not inside Tarquin are they?’

“Yep, Santa’s little helpers are rounding up the Leche spores and castrating them.”

"Spores, like hay fever?"

Tommy shook his head and turned to face Archie. "Far worse. Leche pulse lances are laced with poisonous spores and hallucinogens that multiply inside their host with terrifying speed."

Archie’s shoulders sagged. “He’s going to die, isn’t he.”

The professor didn't answer. He was watching a vast wave of silver roundels herd the starfish through Tarquin’s aorta and away from his heart.

"Professor."

“Sorry, those bots are amazing! Any idea who put them there?”

Archie shook his head, “Not a clue.”

“I found a puncture scar over his heart. They were injected within the last 30 days.”

“How can you be so sure?” asked Archie.

The Professor took from his pocket a silver pen like instrument with a dozen coloured pins.

"You programme them through the injection device and push the pins here in a given sequence, then dial in a number here.” He pointed to the base. “This programmes the quantity of bots released and how they act.” He stabbed the needle end into an imaginary heart. “Press and the bots are pumped through the body.”

Tommy turned back to the screen. “ But,” he said, shaking his head, “this is different.”

“Why?” asked Archie, taking the instrument from the Professor and looking at it.

“Shooting this combination and quantity was a death sentence, it’s ludicrously strong for any disease or virus known on earth.”

"You still haven't answered my question."

"No," said Tommy grinning, "he's not going to die, far from it!" He rubbed his hands together. " You see, the bots have a timing mechanism and were about to start eating him from the inside when the Leche spores arrived."

"Look," he pointed to the screen. "The spores sweep through a host body and kill in minutes, but when these spores entered Tarquin it was manna from heaven for the ravenous bots.”

“Brilliant," said Tommy, shaking his head, "bloody brilliant. Someone made a huge mistake. . .”

“and it saved Tarquin’s life.”

“Or,” said Tommy, wringing his hands and pursing his lips, “someone tried to kill him, not expecting a Leche to shoot him.“

“How long before we can talk to him?”

The professor looked at the figures pouring across the screen. “Five days if all goes well. Once the bots have finished eating and we've remove them from all parts of his body."

"But," he said, shaking his head. "The side effects of the hallucinogens are more problematic...”

# # #

Archie left the Professor and stopped to take one more look at Tarquin through the glass.

“Come, we should visit Smodius.” Archie looked up. It was Alice Cooper, a recruit from the Shropshire Canal. They had started at the Guide School together several years before.

“I’ve been asked to join you,” she said, swinging a pack onto her shoulder, “It’ll be like old times.” She looked through the glass. “Is that Tarquin Jenkins?”

“Yes.”

“Will he make it?”

“He’s a fighter, a very special boy. He has a good chance,” said Archie, with a smile.

TBO

Last edited:
Hi TBO,

Much, much better. You could risk slowing it even more in places (notably the descriptive passages) and there is always a bit more info dumping that can be carved out, but this is good.

The chaps don't tend to knock on doors, I'm afraid. However, I have it on good authority that they took the wrong flight and are currently on the tarmac in Nova Scotia, wondering whether there is really anything in Dartmouth worth looting.

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

Phew, I can come out now.

Joking aside, thanks for your help, 'mucho grassy arse' as the spanish might say.

Just to show that I haven't killed off the main character...Here's a little piece I have in draft. I rather like the interplay with Jeremiah and his bunch of flowers and grapes...Not for critiquing, just for a chuckle.

Professor Tommy Cramdunkle was content. Known for its excellence, his Research Laboratory and Training Hospice had today surpassed any previous achievement. Being a bald, wiry Liverpudlian from the Merseyside Quadrant, with silver mutton-chops and a ginger handlebar moustache, Tommy was used to defying the odds. Though trite and offensive to many, the sign on his desk said it all,

Miracles we do today, the impossible will cost you an arm, a leg and your liver and take a little longer.

The impossible had taken precisely 4 days. At 12:00 noon Tarquin would wake from his coma and begin his life again—with a few enhancements.
Medical Interns crowded excitedly around the glass walled tank watching the Resuscitation Team’s every move. They were witnessing history being made.

“Tarquin, Tarquin Seebohm Jenkins?” A soothing voice appeared to come from above. “SeeBee, can you hear me?” Tarquin stretched and squinted into the light, trying to see where the voice was.

“Tarquin Jenkins, can you hear me?” Tarquin opened his eyes and looked around, hoping it was Princess Wen Cheng, but there was no one. Instead, the sky melted, and the meadows turned to water, making him feel uncomfortably dizzy.

“Tarquin, wake up, its time to wake up.” The god-like voice voice was calm and re-assuring. A round face grew and took shape before him. A bald-headed man with a long, ginger moustache smiled.

“Tarquin, your safe,” said the man, grinning and squeezing his hand.

“Whia?” rasped Tarquin, unable to speak properly.

A dozen silver suits gathered around the bed clapping. Tarquin raised a hand and managed a short, bemused wave. The gathering cheered. Tarquin struggled to sit up. He looked around. He was in a bed inside a glass room full of machinery. Outside the glass walls, more onlookers clapped, shook their fists and punched the air.

“I am Professor Tommy Cramdunkle,” said the bald headed man, “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”
Tarquin nodded with a stutter,

“am I in heaven?”

“Good Lord no,” said Tommy smiling, “you’ve just been asleep for a while.”

“How long?” asked Tarquin.

“Four days, twenty minutes and thirty seconds.”

“Holy s—“ Tarquin’s frail voice gave way.

“You’re back amongst friends,”

“Where’s Rhia?” Tommy’s smile disappeared and Tarquin’s question hung in the air. Tommy looked away and nodded at the large shape hovering by the door.

“Five minutes only,” he said, as he left the room.

“Jewimiah?”

“Ay lad it be me.” The shape came forward clutching a brown bag and a bunch of flowers. “Seebee—”

“She’s dead, isn’t she.” Tarquin’s eyes filed with water

“Yes, lad.” Jeremiah put down the bag and flowers. “That she be.” He lent forward wrapping his huge frame protectively around Tarquin. “I knows you liked her.”

Tarquin looked up at his friend. “Why? Why couldn’t I have died instead?”

“I don’t know young un, I don’t know.” They held each other tight. Tarquin sobbed, his tears raining down on his friend’s shoulder as Jeremiah cradled him in his arms until he slept.

“Okay,” said the Professor, returning to the bedside, “That’s enough for one morning, we need to get him up and into rehab this afternoon.” Jeremiah gently laid his head back on the pillow.

“Appreciate it doc,” said Jeremiah, “I thought it best if the news came from me.” Tommy nodded.

“I can mend the physical, but he needs his friends help.”

“I knows Doc, I knows.”

Jeremiah slowly got up and made for the door. Seeing the paper bag and flowers, Tommy took them from the bed.

“You left these,” he said, handing them to Jeremiah.

“They’re for Seebee. We take grapes and flowers when visiting people in hospitals back in the 21st Century.”

“Oh,” said Tommy, looking at the peculiar mix of daffodils, dahlia’s, barley wheat and wild roses tied with a frayed shoelace. He opened the brown paper bag to find it full of pips and grape stalks.

“I thought you said there were gra—” He said, looking up, but Jeremiah had gone.

TBO

I only read the first part. Anyway, I thought the descriptions included a lot of narrative summary, and a lot of telling (for example the way you just come out and say he had a pulse, but it was faint). There's no tension or intrigue when you just lay everything out there like that.

Also, as someone interested in medicine, I thought the passage about his cardiac arrest needed more to seem credible. 30 mg. of what, exactly? Also, the "cardiac arrest." "not on my watch" exchange just stunk of typical Hollywood doctor nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.