Tarquin Seebohm Jenkins: Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bloated One

Hi everyone,

Rocking on with my opus, The Adventures Of Tarquin Seebohm Jenkins. Below I have put a piece with a lot of dialogue. I am still learning about dialogue and how to punctuate it, so if anyone has the time to check it through I would be delighted. Comments and thoughts on the pacing (Peter Graham, I know you're out there...) and the content, overall feel for the piece (CTG, sharpen that pencil) are as always welcome and acted upon.

Background: Our hero Tarquin has just been shot by a crocodile looking alien in the tea shop in the small English village of Steeple Snoring. Rescued by his mentor, Jules Rigsworth on a Chesterfield sofa he has been rushed back to 2340....

The Chesterfield sofa materialized in 2340 belching smoke and flames. Jules had taken them straight to the BIF headquarters space port. Rescue crews pulled Rigsworth and the others clear of the sofa before it erupted in a ball of fire. Tarquin lay motionless, face up on the hover trolley. He had a pulse but it was faint. Rushed to the emergency wing of the BIF's hospital he was put under the care of Professor Tommy Cramdunkle and prepared for surgery and decontamination. The Leche laced their lances with poisonous spores that multiplied inside their host with terrifying speed and lethal consequences. But, that wasn’t all. Accompanying the spores were hallucinogens that sent the victim’s mind into psychosis. Even if Tarquin survived, it was unlikely he would ever be the same boy again.

Jules’ rescue had political ramifications. The Confederation's Security Council were called in for an emergency sitting. The Griddleback and Leche Ambassadors had informed the Confederation High Council of the rescues illegality. They helpfully provided a myriad of time travel ordinances Jules had broken, even suggesting it was an act of war, though know one knew exactly how. The Confederation Security Council had little choice. Jules was arrested and charged with manipulating Earth history and saving a cognitive life form. Thankfully, the Council didn't see this as an act of war, despite protestations from the Griddleback Ambassador. Only Jules appeared on the arrest warrant.

Denied bail, Jules was incarcerated in a penal colony on Antriconian and allowed one telecall. He immediately contacted Archie and told him to travel to the planet Tharg with Alice Cooper and find Smodius P. Munchfumble, a Zargothian Advocate and explain what happened, he'll know what to do.

“Don’t use wormholes,” said Jules, “they’ll be monitoring them. Use your Sinclair.”

# # #

Before leaving for Tharg, Archie visited the emergency ward at the hospital. Standing before a plated glass cubical Archie watched in silence. His time in the future had been fun, but today, the awful realisation that Rhia was dead and Tarquin barely alive hit hard. He rolled Rhia’s trainee guide hologram disc in his fingers, remembering how proud she had been to receive it. She had no idea about the BIFs and their battles against the Griddleback, Leche and other despotic nations. He looked at the disc and dropped it, crushing it under his boot. Rhia’s fairytale was over and Tarquin’s snuffed out before it had barely begun. Reality was dawning.

He looked at Tarquin's unconscious body, covered in a grey metallic shroud inside a tunnel of silver mesh. His head inside a round transparent sphere and submerged in a bubbling, blue translucent liquid. A metal collar held the sphere and liquid in place. Tarquin's long, curly hair was gone and his face pale and drawn. Archie shivered, looking at his new friend, unconscious inside a light bulb full of effervescing chemicals. Lower down his body, and moving at incredible speed, flew twenty android arms in pre-determined patterns inside his chest. A plethora of coloured lights flashed, throbbed and sparked in a dervish dance of light. Screens full of graphs, coloured bars and screeds of text moved at breakneck speed, relayed to a watching nurse drone. Archie stood for over an hour. The surgery and decontamination was expected to last another twenty-four. A voice boomed from a speaker.

“Would Archie Campbell please come to the Medical Command Centre.”

# # #

Professor Tommy Cramdunkle sat forward on his hoverstool inside the command centre high above the patient isolation pods, staring at one particular screen. There was a knock at the open door. The Professor turned. Archie Campbell stood in the doorway.

“Come in Archie, I need to ask you some questions,” said Tommy,

pointing to a hoverstool. “Do you know this Jenkins boy well?” he said, offering Archie a bowl full of lollipops.

“Not really,” said Archie, taking a large green coloured sweet, “but everyone talks of his potential.”

Tommy smiled. “Look at this.” The Professor pressed buttons on a console floating in front of him. The screen’s contents magnified.

“Ugh!” said, Archie, “what are those?”

“Dr Phillius Santander’s Nanobots. Millions of them. They shouldn’t be there, only field agents are authorised to use them, but I am damned pleased to see them.”

Archie scratched his head. “They’re. . .” he looked queasy, “not inside Tarquin are they?’

“Yep, Santa’s little helpers are rounding up the Leche spores and castrating them.” Tommy turned his chair to face Archie.

“Any idea who put them there?”

Archie shook his head, “Not a clue.”

“I found a puncture scar on Tarquin's chest. Someone injected them into his heart within the last 30 days.”

“How can you be so sure,” said Archie, mesmerised by the vast army of silver roundels herding yellow and red starfish like creatures through Tarquin’s arteries.

“Each bot is programmed through the injection device.” He took from his pocket a silver pen like instrument with a dozen coloured pins. ”Push the pins in a given sequence, then dial in a number here.” He pointed to the base. “This programmes the quantity of bots released and how they act.” He stabbed the needle end into an imaginary heart. “Press and the bots are pumped through the body.” Tommy turned back to the screen. “ But,” he said, shaking his head, “this is different.”

“Why?” asked Archie, taking the instrument from the Professor and looking at it.

“Shooting this combination and quantity was a death sentence, it’s ludicrously strong for any disease or virus known on earth.”

Archie’s shoulders sagged.

“He’s going to die, isn’t he.”

Tommy grinned.

“Far from it. You see, the bots have a timing mechanism and were about to start eating him from the inside out when the Leche spores arrived." He pointed to the screen. "The spores sweep through a host body and kill in minutes, but when these spores entered Tarquin it was manna from heaven for the ravenous bots.” Archie watched the carnage on screen.

“Brilliant," said Tommy, shaking his head, "bloody brilliant. Someone made a huge mistake. . .”

“and it saved Tarquin’s life.”

“Or,” said Tommy, wringing his hands and pursing his lips, “someone tried to kill him, not expecting a Leche to shoot him.“

“How long before we can talk to him?” asked Archie.

“Five days if all goes well. Once the bots have finished eating.”

# # #

Archie left the Medical Centre and stopped to take one more look at Tarquin through the glass.

“Come, we should visit Smodius.” Archie looked up. It was Alice Cooper, a recruit from the Shropshire Canal. They had started at the Guide School together several years before.

“I’ve been asked to join you,” she said, swinging a pack onto her shoulder, “It’ll be like old times.” She looked through the glass. “Is that Tarquin Jenkins?”

“Yes.”

“Will he make it?”

“He’s a fighter, a very special boy. He has a good chance,” said Archie, with a smile.

Last edited:
It is laughable that I should be offering dialogue punctuation help so ha ha ha ha! However :

Archie shook his head, “Not a clue.” --> Archie shook his head. "Not a clue."
(because you only punctuate with a comma as you have above when you're using things like "said". If you're using a beat (I think they're called, but I could have made that up) like "Archie shook his head", then you use a full-stop)

I think here:
“Ugh!” said, Archie, “what are those?” maybe it should be "Ugh!" said Archie. "What are those?"

“How can you be so sure,” said Archie, mesmerised by the vast army of silver roundels herding yellow and red starfish like creatures through Tarquin’s arteries.

I think if Archie's asking a question, it should be:

“How can you be so sure?” said Archie, mesmerised by the vast army of silver roundels herding yellow and red starfish like creatures through Tarquin’s arteries.

My pleasure. I'm still struggling with dialogue punctuation too so I will be watching with interest to see what others say.

The Chesterfield sofa materialized in 2340 belching smoke and flames. Jules had taken them straight to the BIF headquarters space port.

The Chesterfield sofa materialized in BIF headquarters belching smoke and flames.

I say in the other threads to put in more details but in your case, I'd recommend you to start thinking about combing some of the details together for the sake of the readers. You have to trust that they have brains as they are reading books and they can remember certain things without you spelling them out. The overall feeling is that this needs a lot of polishing. So we see how we get on with it.

Rescue crews pulled Rigsworth and the others clear of the sofa before it erupted in a ball of fire. Tarquin lay motionless, face up on the hover trolley. He had a pulse but it was faint.
Passive sentencing takes the reader out from the picture. They start yawning and thinking about other thing.

Tarquin lay motionless, face up on the hover trolley. His pulse was fainting as they rushed him in BIF's hospital under care of Professor Tommy Cramdunkle. There wasn't much time to lose. The poisonous spores were multiplying inside the host with terrifying speed and lethal consequences.

But that wasn't all...

No. It was as how the Professor had put it: Tarquin didn't much of chances, even if he was going to make it as those poisons were accompanied with hallucinogens to send the victims mind into psychosis. Even if Tarquin was going to survive, it was unlikely he would be the same boy again.

And that was the prospect that terrified Jules.

As you can see from my little rewrite I have tried to cut down your exposition and weave in the third person POV to do the narrative. The thing is that I don't know if that cut close to Jules narrative as you're the Author and I'm just another head.

In the context wise, you're doing great. There's tension and drama that I see rarely in the pieces that people put up for us to see.

Jules’ rescue had political ramifications. The Confederation's Security Council were called in for an emergency sitting. The Griddleback and Leche Ambassadors had informed the Confederation High Council of the rescues illegality.

They helpfully provided a myriad of time travel ordinances Jules had broken, even suggesting it was an act of war, though know one knew exactly how. The Confederation Security Council had little choice.
Good. Very nice.

Jules was arrested and charged with manipulating Earth history and saving a cognitive life form. Thankfully, the Council didn't see this as an act of war, despite protestations from the Griddleback Ambassador. Only Jules appeared on the arrest warrant.

Denied bail, Jules was incarcerated in a penal colony on Antriconian and allowed one telecall. He immediately contacted Archie and told him to travel to the planet Tharg with Alice Cooper and find Smodius P. Munchfumble, a Zargothian Advocate. Explain what had happened. He would know what to do.
Not sure about this. Cannot put my finger on what's wrong, but I sense there's something wrong. Maybe it's the exposition. Maybe it's something else. Don't know.

“Don’t use wormholes,” said Jules, “they’ll be monitoring them. Use your Sinclair.”
What you could do at the end of this chapter is that you expand the sentencing and bring in the dialogue to show the drama that goes in, when they lay down the sentence.

# # #

Before leaving for Tharg, Archie visited the emergency ward at the hospital. Standing before a plated glass cubical Archie watched in silence. His time in the future had been fun, but today, the awful realisation that Rhia was dead and Tarquin barely alive hit hard. He rolled Rhia’s trainee guide hologram disc in his fingers, remembering how proud she had been to receive it. She had no idea about the BIFs and their battles against the Griddleback, Leche and other despotic nations. He looked at the disc and dropped it, crushing it under his boot. Rhia’s fairytale was over and Tarquin’s snuffed out before it had barely begun. Reality was dawning.

He looked at Tarquin's unconscious body, covered in a grey metallic shroud inside a tunnel of silver mesh. His head inside a round transparent sphere and submerged in a bubbling, blue translucent liquid. A metal collar held the sphere and liquid in place. Tarquin's long, curly hair was gone and his face pale and drawn. Archie shivered, looking at his new friend, unconscious inside a light bulb full of effervescing chemicals.

Lower down his body, and moving at incredible speed, flew twenty android arms in pre-determined patterns inside his chest. A plethora of coloured lights flashed, throbbed and sparked in a dervish dance of light. Computer screens full of graphs, coloured bars and screeds of text moved at breakneck speed, relayed to a watching nurse drone.

Archie stood for over an hour. The surgery and decontamination was expected to last another twenty-four.
Moved the last sentence out.

“Would Archie Campbell please come to the Medical Reception Centre,”
a voice boomed from a speaker.

Cut that last sentence in.

# # #

Professor Tommy Cramdunkle sat forward on his hoverstool inside the command centre high above the patient isolation pods, staring at one particular screen. There was a knock at the open door. The Professor turned to see Archie Campbell standing in the doorway.
See what I did with the last sentence. Remember passivity kills the readers attention span. You want this flow as well as you can.

“Come in Archie. I have couple questions for you," Tommy gestured him to sat on a hoverstool. “Do you know this Jenkins boy well?” he said, offering Archie a bowl full of lollipops.

“Not really,” Archie answered, taking a large green coloured sweet, “but everyone talks about his potential.”
I'd like you to take a notice on what I do in the dialogue. I cut out the extra action and plastered together the bits that are meant to be together. The extra detail confuses the reader and doesn't provide needed content.

Tommy smiled. [add a thought] “Look at this.”

The Professor pressed buttons on a console floating in front of him. The screen’s contents magnified.[add visual description]

The middle paragraph could do with some extra honing. It doesn't flow as well as it should. And with the last dialogue line you don't need a said tag as the readers can guess who's speaking.

“Dr Phillius Santander’s Nanobots. Millions of them. They shouldn’t be there, only field agents are authorised to use them, but I am damned pleased to see them.”

Archie scratched his head. “They’re. . .” he looked queasy, “not inside Tarquin are they?’

“Yep, Santa’s little helpers are rounding up the Leche spores and castrating them.”

Tommy turned his chair to face Archie. “Any idea who put them there?”
Notice the slight move in the last paragraph.

“I found a puncture scar on Tarquin's chest. Someone injected them into his heart within the last 30 days.”

POV! In the dialogue you need to be careful on how you phrase the sentences as its very easy to get in someone else head. You can correct that bit very easily, but I'm not going to show you how as I want you to learn on how to do that. Just remember that you're in the Professor's head and not in Archie's.

“Each bot is programmed through the injection device.” He took from his pocket a silver pen like instrument with a dozen coloured pins. ”Push the pins in a given sequence, then dial in a number here.” He pointed to the base. “This programmes the quantity of bots released and how they act.” He stabbed the needle end into an imaginary heart. “Press and the bots are pumped through the body.”
Stop this paragraph there. It's good drama. Great dialogue and usage of description.

Tommy turned back to the screen. “ But,” he said, shaking his head, “this is different.”
This needs work. I'd like to see you diving in his head to provide some inside monologue, maybe even some doubts to foreshadow the event.

“Why?” asked Archie, taking the instrument from the Professor and looking at it.

“Shooting this combination and quantity was a death sentence, it’s ludicrously strong for any disease or virus known on earth.”
What a twist. Nice one.

Archie’s shoulders sagged. “He’s going to die, isn’t he.”
These two sentences belongs together.

Tommy grinned. “Far from it!" He rubbed his hands together. "You see, the bots have a timing mechanism and were about to start eating him from the inside out when the Leche spores arrived."

"Look," he pointed to the screen. "The spores sweep through a host body and kill in minutes, but when these spores entered Tarquin it was manna from heaven for the ravenous bots.” Archie watched the carnage on screen.
You can continue one person dialogue in another paragraph as you don't need to switch the speaker.

“Brilliant," said Tommy, shaking his head, "bloody brilliant. Someone made a huge mistake. . .”

“Or,” said Tommy, wringing his hands and pursing his lips, “someone tried to kill him, not expecting a Leche to shoot him.“

The professor leaned his elbow against the chair and stared the screen intensively for few moments before he said,
Very nice dialogue. And as you can see it only needs a bit of work to make it flow better. What I don't know is if there's another twist or if he's speaking the truth, and the end paragraph should indicate some sort of way for you to keep the readers sitting on the edge, turning the pages.

# # #

Archie left the Medical Centre and stopped to take one more look at Tarquin through the glass.

“Come, we should visit Smodius.” Archie looked up. It was Alice Cooper, a recruit from the Shropshire Canal. They had started at the Guide School together several years before.

“I’ve been asked to join you,” she said, swinging a pack onto her shoulder, “It’ll be like old times.” She looked through the glass. “Is that Tarquin Jenkins?”

“Yes.”

“Will he make it?”

“He’s a fighter, a very special boy. He has a good chance,” said Archie, with a smile.
Very nice. Thank you. It was a pleasure to edit this. Keep on the good work. I know I should get back to my own work but recently I haven't been able to add anything to my story. But allow me to say this: one day you're going to rival Rowlings.

Hi TBO,

In a bit of a rush now, but will be back before the end of the week with an enormous tidal wave of pedantic corrections and sniffy quibbles.

Regards,

Peter

:) Here we go:-

Hi everyone,

Rocking on with my opus, The Adventures Of Tarquin Seebohm Jenkins. Below I have put a piece with a lot of dialogue. I am still learning about dialogue and how to punctuate it, so if anyone has the time to check it through I would be delighted. Comments and thoughts on the pacing (Peter Graham, I know you're out there...) and the content, overall feel for the piece (CTG, sharpen that pencil) are as always welcome and acted upon.

Background: Our hero Tarquin has just been shot by a crocodile looking alien in the tea shop in the small English village of Steeple Snoring. Rescued by his mentor, Jules Rigsworth on a Chesterfield sofa he has been rushed back to 2340....

The Chesterfield sofa materialized in 2340 belching smoke and flames. Jules had taken (taken? somehow it doesn't seem right) them straight to the BIF headquarters space port (Why space port - since we're time travelling). Rescue crews pulled Rigsworth and the others clear of the sofa before it erupted in a ball of fire. Tarquin lay motionless, face up on the hover trolley. He had a pulse, (-recently learnt this one myself) but it was faint. Rushed to the emergency wing of the BIF's hospital (which would have been a better place to go in the first place. Hover trolleys would be there etc.) he was put under the care of Professor Tommy Cramdunkle and prepared for surgery and decontamination. The Leche laced their lances (he was shot in the preamble) with poisonous spores that multiplied inside their host with terrifying speed and lethal consequences. But, that wasn’t all. Accompanying the spores were also hallucinogens that sent the victim’s mind into psychosis. Even if Tarquin survived, it was unlikely he would ever be the same boy again.

Jules’ rescue had political ramifications. The Confederation's Security Council were called in for an emergency sitting. The Griddleback and Leche Ambassadors had informed asserted to the Confederation High Council of the rescues illegality. They helpfully provided a myriad of time travel ordinances Jules had broken, even suggesting it was an act of war, though know one knew exactly how (they had provided them - although nobody agreed with them - perhaps). The Confederation Security Council had little choice. Jules was arrested and charged with manipulating Earth history and saving a cognitive life form. Thankfully, the Council didn't see this as an act of war, despite protestations from the Griddleback Ambassador. Only Jules appeared on the arrest warrant. (this sentence seems a bit flat - I think you should mention who get away without being charged - maybe)

Denied bail, Jules was incarcerated in a penal colony on Antriconian (is this close - given the timescales sent to maybe) and allowed one telecall. He immediately contacted Archie and told him to travel to the planet Tharg with Alice Cooper and find Smodius P. Munchfumble, a Zargothian Advocate and explain what happened, he'll know what to do.

“Don’t use wormholes,” said Jules, “they’ll be monitoring them. Use your Sinclair.” (They'll be watching Sinclairs too now he'smentioned it on an open line from prison - Some subterfuge could be needed as in :-

"You'll need to calculate your route carefully, or you will make an error in your arrival time."

Archie wondered if Joules had lost it, until he realised that he was suggesting that the worm holes would be under surveillance and they should travel by Sinclairs
)

# # #

Before leaving for Tharg, Archie visited the emergency ward at the hospital. Standing before a plated glass cubical Archie watched in silence. His time in the future had been fun, (I thought he had been accused of manipulating the past) but today, the awful realisation that Rhia was dead and Tarquin barely alive hit hard. He rolled Rhia’s trainee guide hologram disc in his fingers, remembering how proud she had been to receive it. She had no idea about the BIFs and their battles against the Griddleback, Leche and other despotic nations (nations or planets?). He looked at the disc and dropped it, crushing it under his boot (difficult mem stick maybe - and more likely 1000 years hence). Rhia’s fairytale was over and Tarquin’s snuffed out before it had barely begun. Reality was dawning.

He looked at Tarquin's unconscious body, covered in a grey metallic shroud inside a tunnel of silver mesh. His head inside a round transparent sphere and submerged in a bubbling, blue translucent liquid. A metal collar held the sphere and liquid in place. Tarquin's long, curly hair was gone and his face pale and drawn. (wouldn't be easy to see in sphere - think fish bowl - you could say the sphere played hell with how he looked ) Archie shivered, looking at his new friend (not new now, I thought we we're some way into the book), unconscious inside a light bulb full of effervescing chemicals. Lower down his body, and moving at incredible speed, flew twenty android arms in pre-determined patterns inside his chest(inside? a bit more relavent than lower down his body) . A plethora of coloured lights flashed, throbbed and sparked in a dervish (- implies spinning not jerky arm like movement) dance of light. Screens full of graphs, coloured bars and screeds of text scrolled at breakneck speed, relayed to a watching nurse drone. Archie stood for over an hour. (that long? I thought the trip to Tharg was urgent - ten minutes maybe) The surgery and decontamination was expected to last another twenty-four. (five days below) A voice boomed from a speaker.

“Would Archie Campbell please come to the Medical Command Centre.”

# # #

Professor Tommy Cramdunkle sat forward on his hoverstool inside the command centre high above the patient isolation pods, staring at one particular screen. There was a knock at the open door. The Professor turned. Archie Campbell stood in the doorway.

“Come in Archie, I need to ask you some questions,” said Tommy,

pointing to a hoverstool. “Do you know this Jenkins boy well?” he said, offering Archie a bowl full of lollipops (why).

“Not really,” said Archie, taking a large green coloured sweet, “but everyone talks of his potential.”

Tommy smiled. “Look at this.” The Professor pressed buttons on a console floating in front of him. The screen’s contents magnified. (These floating chairs and screens are little distracting - The reader has to pause and think - would that work - but OK, if that's how has to be)

Archie scratched his head. “They’re. . .” he looked queasy (He didn't seem phased by the mechanical arms feeling around inside the lads chest above), “not inside Tarquin are they?’

“Yep, Santa’s little helpers are rounding up the Leche spores and castrating (they need to kill them and what about the hallucinogens) them.” Tommy turned his chair to face Archie.

“Any idea who put them there?”

“Each bot is programmed through the injection device.” He took from his pocket a silver pen like instrument with a dozen coloured pins. ”Push the pins in a given sequence, then dial in a number here.” He pointed to the base. “This programmes the quantity of bots released and how they act.” He stabbed the needle end into an imaginary heart. “Press and the bots are pumped through the body.” Tommy turned back to the screen. “ But,” he said, shaking his head, “this is different.”

Archie’s shoulders sagged.

“He’s going to die, isn’t he.”

Tommy grinned.

“Far from it. You see, the bots have a timing mechanism and were about to start eating him from the inside out when the Leche spores arrived." He pointed to the screen. "The spores sweep through a host body and kill in minutes, but when these spores entered Tarquin it was manna from heaven for the ravenous bots.” Archie watched the carnage on screen.

# # #

Archie left the Medical Centre the professor and stopped to take one more look at Tarquin through the glass.

“Yes.”

“Will he make it?”

OK. Usual deal - If you think I'm talking rubbish you wont be the first :)

Indebted to one and all...just need Chris Penycate and Peter Graham to have their say and I'll retreat to my burrow and cut my wrists!

Seriously, very grateful for your time and advice. Will post an amended version later.

Ctg - One day, one day!

TBO

If you think I'm going to do your punctuation here when I spend all day doing it… (Maybe a teeny tiny exaggeration there)
And the document in .docx, too, so all the formatting gone to pot… (grumbles off to annoy someone else).

How are you today, TBO?

The Chesterfield sofa materialized in 2340

comma. There is a little pause here, so it needs a punctuation break.

belching smoke and flames. Jules had taken them straight to the BIF headquarters space port. Rescue crews pulled Rigsworth and the others clear of the sofa before it erupted in a ball of fire.

It's the old problem. Everything happens so quickly that we have no time to enjoy each given image before the next one comes along. I really do like your quick-fire action, but you need to rein it in. You have the chance here for a couple more sentences to show (not tell) the sofa rescue - don't let the chance pass you by. It'll improve the pace and make the piece more interesting to read.

Tarquin lay motionless, face up on the hover trolley. He had a pulse but it was faint. Rushed

Urk. He was rushed......... That gets you out of the next Comma Omission too.......

The Leche laced their lances with poisonous spores that multiplied inside their host with terrifying speed and lethal consequences.

OK, but you have compounded the underlying pace problem by jumping out of the action to give us a bit of background info. Yes - we need to know this about the Leche, but no - we don't need to know it right here and now as our hero is going onto the slab. As with the sofa incident, give us a bit more here - quite a bit more. Tarquin is seriously ill. It's a major thing.

But, that wasn’t all.

Lose the comma.

The Griddleback and Leche Ambassadors had informed the Confederation High Council of the rescues illegality.

I gave you fair warning about apostrophe abuse. I have passed your details to rieving bands of Elliots and Armstrongs, who as we speak are loading their dags and nags onto an Air Canada flight. Rescue's. It's a possessive - the illegality of the rescue. But there was only one rescue, so the apostrophe goes before the s.

They helpfully provided a myriad of time travel ordinances Jules had broken, even suggesting it was an act of war, though know one knew exactly how.

Know one? No-one, surely. Also, this passage is starting to take on a distinct info-dumpy quality which further breaks up the main action - our lad under the knife. There is also a little too much telling.

Only Jules appeared on the arrest warrant.

This is OK is structural terms, but it sort of hangs unfinished in the context of the sentence. What you are really trying to say (I assume) is that the others aren't named on the rap sheet.

Denied bail, Jules was incarcerated in a penal colony on Antriconian and allowed one telecall.

Again, structurally OK, but odd to read. The telecall is a bit of window dressing and undermines the impact of what has happened to him. Rather like saying "Peter was ennobled as Earl of Westmorland and given a jammy dodger". I'd say something like "After being allowed just one telecall, Jules was whisked off to....."

He immediately contacted Archie and told him to travel to the planet Tharg with Alice Cooper and find Smodius P.

"and" looks a bit weak here. "in order to..." ??

Munchfumble, a Zargothian Advocate and explain what happened, he'll know what to do.

You have just dropped into reported speech here. That's ok, but it jolts us out of the narrative voice. Either reword it to read "...who would know what to do" or start the dialogue passage with this extract.

Standing before a plated glass cubical

plate glass cubicle.

Archie watched in silence. His time in the future had been fun, but today, the awful realisation that Rhia was dead and Tarquin barely alive hit hard.

Hit him hard? Minor nit-pick

Reality was dawning.

This is a nice passage, but lose this last sentence - you are just repeating your "awful realistaion" comment.

He looked at Tarquin's unconscious body, covered in a grey metallic shroud inside a tunnel of silver mesh.

To make it clear that it is Tarquin's body which is covered in the shroud, you might lose the comma and add a humble "which was"

His head inside a round transparent sphere and submerged in a bubbling, blue translucent liquid.

Tarquin's head - I know what you mean but you run the risk of "his" being attached to Archie, who is the subject of the preceding sentences.

A metal collar held the sphere and liquid in place. Tarquin's long, curly hair was gone and his face

was

pale and drawn. Archie shivered, looking at his new friend,

no comma

Lower down his body, and moving at incredible speed, flew twenty android arms in pre-determined patterns inside his chest.

Badly constructed sentence. "Lower down his body, twenty android arms whizzed around inside his chest cavity.."

Tommy smiled. “Look at this.”

I'd be inclined to put a para break here as you are describing the next action prior to jumping back into dialogue.

They shouldn’t be there,

a dash might be better than a comma here for giving the desired emphasis

“Yep, Santa’s little helpers are rounding up the Leche spores and castrating them.”

para break

He's asked a question, so it needs a question mark. Also, the "mesmerised....." doesn't flow well. Make it a separate sentence.

Aside from para breaks, the dialogue is otherwise pretty good. In fact, you get the pacing spot on- snappy and quickfire but with enough time for the reader to understand what is happening and why. You avoid the usual info dumping traps and manage to give us a bit of each character - it sounds genuine. No easy task.

I still think that Tarquin is easily one of the best things we see on this forum. It's genuinely original, genuinely funny and quirky in a homegrown, English way. Unlike most writers (including most published ones) you have also cultivated a distinct voice. Your enthusiasm shines out from every line. I'd say you just need to keep it in check - it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Regards,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.