Ye cannae change the laws of physics

Ah well, only to be expected I suppose; we're still stuck with that annoying speed limit!

Oh and Ursa the first quote you listed was refering to the second experiment not the first. The first experiement was carried out by the Opera group and was the one giving FTL neutrinos. The 'second' experiement was carried out by the Icarus team and was not directly aimed at testing the neutrino speed. But by adding in the departure timings from Cern they were able to use the data they had collected to make the speed calculations. This is what the quote was referring to.

Oops! Sorry about that. :eek::eek:

It's just that I seem to recall, at the time of the earlier announcement, various issues about the timing of the departure of neutrinos from CERN and read the text in that context. (I must be in WiP-editing mode. :eek:)

I must admit I had to go through the article twice to get it straight in my mind which bits referred to which.

That'll be because of the chorus of disapproval, I expect....

Arrrgh Ursa!

Actually I think it is a little harsh that he felt obliged to do so. In all fairness when they made the original announcement I recall that they made it very clear they considered their result unlikely in the extreme and were looking for help in discovering their probable error.

Actually I think it is a little harsh that he felt obliged to do so.

I agree. People should be allowed to learn from their mistakes. He's probably a better scientist as a result of what happened.

It's not as if any real harm was done.

That said I notice the article says (very carefully - 'reports said') that some of his team may have wanted him to resign. And that is starting to smack a little of internal politics. Unless, possibly, he had been the one to insist on publishing early and the rest of the team had been pushing for more time to check their results.