SF:Leonardo da Vince as android (<1982)??

PJvanLit

Im looking for a SciFi Book that I read, if I recall well, somewhere between 1979 en 1983 (but the book could be much older). Have no clue what soever about Author or Title.

Plot was:
In the human history men has continuously been helped by important people. These people (I recall that one of these people was o.a. Leonardo da Vinci) actually weren't people but androids / robots that were meant to help mankind to evolve / mature in the right direction.

These Android wore out so every now and again they had to rebuild themselves and transfer all the info from one to the other.
In the book something went wrong and the transfer was incomplete. The in-completed android had to escape (was helped by a person) from the laboratory to prevent mankind to uncover that secret.

I've checked a.o. Philip K. Dick at someones suggestion but couldn't find it in his long lists of books.

Anybody an idea of title of author???
Would really like to read the book again.
Thanks for any suggestions
Greetings Paul

Perhaps it was a novelization of Gene Roddenberry's The Questor Tapes ?

Roddenberry addressed this same theme in the Star Trek episode "Assignment Earth," which was intended to spin-off a new series. Personally, I'm not too fond of the idea of having to "babysit" a culture into surviving its own demons. Unless a people overcome their own faults, they will never actually mature. And unless that happens, they'll become perpetual baggage.

Or as my granddaddy used to say, "It's good for them to fall down once in a while. They'll learn faster."

Sounds pretty close, I'm not completely sure yet.
Thanks for the tip, now let's see if its still available somewhere.

Last edited:
Vitruvian Android

Vitruvian-android.jpg

Come to think of it, there is a da Vinci robot used for surgery.