The Exegesis - November 2011

Discussion in 'Phillip K Dick' started by D_Davis, Sep 13, 2011.

D_Davis

D_Davis New Member

TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

Couldn't get the link to work, but easy enough to search on Amazon for it. Should be interesting!

jojajihisc

jojajihisc vast and cool

Then again.

I'm guessing it's a pretty uneven book filled with philosophy and paranoia. I'll probably wait to read several reviews before deciding whether to buy or not.

D_Davis

D_Davis New Member

That's what I'm hoping for! :)

TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

Yup, you had me at 'filledlast with philosophy and paranoia' - sounds like an ideal book!

I own 'In Search of Valis' which is excerpts from the exegesis so think I know what to expect!

D_Davis

D_Davis New Member

Got my copy today. It's a very nice looking book.

jojajihisc

jojajihisc vast and cool

It does sound good even to me if done in jest like Illuminatus!. I think Dick actually bought into the paranoia though whether he was mentally ill or not and that I'll pass on.

D_Davis

D_Davis New Member

All Dick is doing is conveying an a series of experiences he had, and in life all we can be truly sure of is what we experience as an individual. For Phil, these things happened, and were important enough to change his life and build a philosophy around.

Who is to say if he was mad, insane, crazy, or paranoid?

The Exegesis is simply a personal work of a man trying to figure things out. Also, these things that happened to him and the things that he experienced shaped his fiction more than anything else. To understand Phil more is to understand more the worlds and characters that he created. And after all, his fiction became more auto-biographical as time went on, so is there really a difference between the two?

It is a great treat to be able to look into Phil's mind in this way.