What horror creatures creep you the Hell out?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CyBeR, Sep 2, 2011.

CyBeR

CyBeR New Member

Yeah, yeah, I know in this day and age it's kinda hard to get worked up over any sort of horror theme. But I can bet everyone's got at least one damn creature that just rubs them the wrong way. Not necessarily in what they can do, but most likely the whole idea of them.

So...care to share?
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

The haunting force (whether or not is a ghost, an elemental, or something quite different, is arguable) in Robert S. Hichens' "How Love Came to Professor Guildea". That one, or rather the implications of that one, I find to be among the most terrifying of any literary creation.

If you've not read the tale, and don't have an aversion to doing so electronically:

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/pguildea.htm
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

Not a creature, specifically - but the "background creature" that the camera pans past, maybe in a mirror, or a dark corner, or just visible for a fraction of a second...
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Orange dragons have a nasty effect on me. Beyond that...not a lot, actually. As Py said, it's more about what you don't see. I'm absolutely terrified of at least a dozen things I've never seen hide or hair of...:p
    Mouse

Mouse roar

Zombies. (I know that's lame, but gah! They get to me.)
    TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

I've always had a fascination (the kind that you get at road traffic accidents where you don't want to look, but you do want to look) with the alien from Alien.

It's not that the movie terrifies me, as such, but it resonates with me in some way. It's a movie monster that I've dreamt about time and again for the last 30 years or so, so I know it hit home at some deep level in my psyche. And while they may be "nightmares" as they are dark and involve monsters, they are not unpleasant.

It was a masterful combination of Giger's demonic design and Ridley Scott's wonderful directing. The other aspect was this was a new sort of horror, not a creepy haunted house or other monster that we'd been scaring each other with around a campfire, this was a science fiction monster, a creature of the unexplored universe that had behaviors that were not impossible to imagine evolving. Using another lifeform as a host? Sure we have that. Going through metamorphosis? Yep, that happens too. So what if it just happened on a scale big enough that it would be us used as hosts, and not catepillars?

Yet it tapped into the archaic fears too, the creature being decidedly demon-like.

Nothing else quite comes close though I have a few others
    - Freddy Krueger crept into some dreams from the first movie, not surprising given that was his subject speciality;
    - Space 1999 terrified me in Dragon's Domain episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbXhu09m5s);
    - Clive Barker's Cenobites have a similar but lesser fascination for me in much the same way as the alien does;
    - the invisible 'creature from the id' in Forbidden Planet also scared me in my younger days.

I've never been particularly moved by slasher type horror though (other than moved to turn it off.) Wait, what's that noise behind me?
    CyBeR

CyBeR New Member

My girlfriend used to be against the notion of zombies (but she is deathly scared of ghosts). After she read Max Brooks' World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war she's never seen zombies in the same way again. All I need to do is make just ONE zombie sound as described in that book and she goes almost catatonic in dread. Made for some amusing (and painful on my side) shower pranks.

For me, I'm deathly creeped out by werewolves. I love good werewolf films, but the whole idea of them just scares me and makes me weary every time I drive through the country side at night or in bad weather.
    Films like Ginger Snaps have given me an image on these animals that terrifies me to the core. It's the unrelenting nature of the beast, the irreversibility of the transformation, the idea of a bigger, badder predator on the hunt for YOU.
    Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

Homo Sapiens.
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

Hah, you nutter. En't been one of those in these parts for a long time. Must've really had an effect!

Hmm, horror creatures, you say. Well, Doctor Who this evening reminded me that I hate dolls. I don't particularly like zombies, but that's because I always dream about them and seeing as I'm one of those types that think their dreams are real when they're happening...

Other than that, it's mostly movements that creep me out more. Things that glide. Or crawl. Or crawl or glide really quickly. Anything that is human-esque, but weird enough to slip neatly into the uncanny valley...
    dask

dask dark and stormy knight

Hill House.
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Dolls, evil horrible creatures.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Terrifyin', it was, for such a little thing. Makes me shiver just thinkin' about it...:D
    Star Girl

Star Girl Waiting in the Sky

Clowns! I remember going to a circus when I was little and it just scared me so much! There is something wrong with a person who paints on a smile yet isn't naturally smiling.
    Those painted people give me the shivers.
    Terrible Tempest

Terrible Tempest Hello. I am nice.

A big ditto to clowns. Ghosts give me the willies, too. The idea of a ghost clown spider... <Shudder>
    hitmouse

hitmouse Member

Brown Jenkins from Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House
    Radix

Radix New Member

the razor eater (Clive Barker's "The Damnation Game")
    Adasunshine

Adasunshine Everything in Moderation

Dolls, clowns, spiders, ghosties, overgrown bugs, bugs, runaway cars with a mind of their own... basically pretty much anything that conjure's up that part of my brain with a little too much imagination and in case you hadn't already guessed, I don't watch/read/think about horror books/films/tv series and very rarely watch thrillers as, unfortunately, they affect my psyche pretty badly and I tend to not sleep for a long time. Even the news has that effect on me, I'm one of life's wusses! :D

xx
    Nesacat

Nesacat The Cat

The little old man who creeps silently through my home. He's hunched and I think he has a clown's face. I've never seen him but I know he's just around the corner somewhere.
    Needle

Needle Arya's Whisper

There is no specific creature that really scares me, but that thing that is under the window or behind that bush or maybe even hiding behind my shower curtain is very creepy indeed!
    Ol' Pookey

Ol' Pookey New Member

Myself. Or the things that I am capable of in time and space. It's weird. I sleep heavy and sweat nightmares. Consciousness is terrifying.

But there are so many of us, not just humans, afflicted with consciousness. I wake in horror every day. I don't trust my perceptions.

The universe is old and massive.