American Gods - TV Series

Discussion in 'Neil Gaiman' started by Adasunshine, Aug 23, 2011.

Adasunshine

Adasunshine Everything in Moderation

GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. That is definitely great news!
    Mouse

Mouse roar

Yay! I'd just mentioned in the 'books you'd like to see as a film' thread that I'd like to see American Gods and now I get this! Close enough. :D
    TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

Hey Mouse, since you have the magic touch, try mentioning a few suggestions that other people had, see if you can't bring those into being also ;)
    Mouse

Mouse roar

Ha! I'm afraid I can only use my powers for good.
    TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

Bah! What use are powers like that? :)
    Phoenixthewriter

Phoenixthewriter Maniac Braniac

Just stymbeled upon this site, but I certainly enjoyed Neil Gaiman's American Gods, and actually suggest it to many people looking for a modern day fantasy fiction novel. It should be very interesting to say the least. I will have to follow this one!
    End of Line

End of Line New Member

I hope this works out, I was dissapointed in the "Neverwhere" adaption. I would love to see the "Graveyard book" transferred to the big screen as well.
    Mouse

Mouse roar

I thought (and I could be wrong) that Neverwhere the TV show came before the book. Or that the book was adapted from the TV show.
    zaltys13

zaltys13 Member

That's correct, the TV show came first, then the book. It was to be adapted into a film at one point to.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    Rodders

Rodders |-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

Having just read the novel for the first time i'm very pleased about this. HBO will surely give this book the treatment it deserves.
    digs

digs Thicker than water

I just read it too, and I've been recommending it to everyone. I'm glad HBO have got their hands on it - I feel like they'll do a great job.
    Sekt

Sekt New Member

Is there any more info on it? I haven't been able to find much beyond the initial reports.
    Finnien

Finnien New Member

As of February, Gaiman was working on a script for the pilot and was being paid for the work by HBO. That doesn't guarantee a pilot, but I'd say it's probable. From what I've heard, the concept for the show is for a six-season arc overall, but that just means they're planning big in light of True Blood and Game of Thrones, not that we'll ever actually see six seasons.
    digs

digs Thicker than water

I know it's a decent-sized book, but I'm struggling to see how they could draw it out for six seasons, unless Gaiman's planning to add some stuff in the middle. Or write some sequels.

Glad to hear the author has significant input though. I guess they've learned from GoT how well that can work.
    Finnien

Finnien New Member

digs

digs Thicker than water

Ah, right. Sounds like a good way to do it! Hopefully it goes for more than one season and we can see what comes next...
    wonkishere

wonkishere New Member

Well if its HBO doing it, that's a good sign. Honestly though, my first reaction on hearing it was, "oh god, they're going to screw that up? That's one of my favorites..."

We'll see what happens, but I don't have a lot of faith in television adaptations. Game of thrones is really good though.
    Camorra

Camorra New Member

Sorry for the massive bump but I just have to ask, are there any news on this?