The Life-Hutch Hidden in the Void

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by j d worthington, Aug 7, 2011.

j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

*white walls surrounded by an apparently infinite space of white. no sound exists outside the confines of the seemingly small construct, to all appearances simply a more solid version of its surroundings, covering what amounts to a few acres in extent. within the strange structure appears a portal which shimmers unstably, barely surviving long enough to allow j.d., freda, and the other refugees from the tea room to enter before once more collapsing into the nonexistence from which it sprang*

Blazes... that was close. I wonder how long we'll have to stay in here... or even if we can leave again. I didn't have time to check my calculations before our departure, so we may well be stuck here for a very, very long time.... And I wonder how the tea room itself is faring. I would imagine Shai-hulud, at least, has had his fill of the place.... Well, given the situation....

*j.d. sits down on the bare floor, contemplating the barren structure around him. as there was so little time, furnishings are nonexistent, nor is there energy enough seeping through into the life-hutch to create them from the forces of the void itself. the others, following his lead, each find themselves a comfortable place to rest, before nodding off. none is aware that, given the current situation, in the realms of sleep, other portals may be opening in their dreams.....*
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

*a hole appears in the white floor*

*head pops up* 'sup, doc?

*clambers out* Hmm, I came looking for some tea, but like a dodgy internet page, I seem to have been redirected somewhere more ominous.

*looks around* Well, ain't this a thoroughly interesting place.

And no tea!

WHY, CRUEL GODS?!
    j d worthington

*looks over at Hoops new pointy ears with interest*

An orange Bugs, eh? This should be... interesting.

As for the remark about tea... tell me about it. My brain's feeling all fuzzy, and I could definitely use the stimulation right about now. Some weird things going on in my dreams, and I can't seem to shake the feeling they're with me yet... half a mo'... I don't recall there being a shadow over there.....
    HoopyFrood

No tea?! But it's my life blood, the thing that keeps me going, my source of power...Without tea, I'll, I'll, I'll...die!

Or at least get very, very crabby.

A shadow? Well, least it breaks up the monotonous white. I'm going to get snow blind. Although shadows never seem to be nice, happy things...
    j d worthington

Hmmmm... looking at what it says around your avatar... looks like "situation normal" to me....:p

As for shadows... no, they generally aren't, are they? I wonder where this one came from... and *looking around startledly* er... where are Freda and the others? And does the place seem to be, er, growing....?
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

A slit opens in the wall and the Ace appears, followed by Freda and carrying a thermos. Tea anyone ?
    j d worthington

Ace! Ah... tea... a life-saver, you are....

*as j.d. reaches for the thermos, an orange blur speeds past, snatching it out of his grasp....*
    HoopyFrood

Well, I'm pretty sure I was standing further over that way not long ago, so it seems it just might be growing. Although there're no real points of reference. 'Cept for your good self.

Omguh, it's a white void that's gonna grow and grow and take over all the Chrons, leaving nothing but blankness and emptiness and and and *waves arms frantically*

Tea!!
    j d worthington

*at first, irritated, j.d. now watches bemusedly as the orange blur resolves itself into a Bugs Bunny wannabe who swiftly begins gulping the contents of the thermos*

Whoa! Slow down there, or you'll choke.....
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

'Plenty for everyone, Hoopy,' produces cups, 'What is it, girl ?'

Freda's palps are waving fanatically, something seems to be distracting Tangle too as he seems fascinated by a certain patch of floor.
    j d worthington

Um, translation, Ace? I'm afraid I don't know arachnidish sign... as for Tangle's reaction, I don't see anything, but such critters do see outside our normal spectrum, so I'd be wary....
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

'She isn't signing, it's too fast for that, and it's Tangle's nose that's working overtime.'

Squats in front of Freda.

Friends close. Green not far.

'So we're in a raw void between threads ?'

Think so.

'I was thinking of taking you back to my tower, but Freda seems to have other ideas.'
    HoopyFrood

Fallen down the forum-equivalent of the crack down the back of the sofa, have we? Ain't that something.
    j d worthington

Hmmm... though with the room -- or whatever it is -- growing, and shadows appear.... um, where did that shadow go....?

*j.d. looks worriedly around* uh, this probably ain't good.....
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

'Could be. JD, I need a little help with this, could we build a new tearoom here ?

Obviously, I can get us out at any time but......'
    j d worthington

The problem with building a new Tea Room here is that, due to the rush to get out of the situation at the old one, my calculations were a bit off, and this thing isn't allowing any use of the energy of the void, so no creating things.... Though, come to think of it, how'd you two get in here? That shouldn't be happening, either... nor that shadow.... ummmm.... something very strange is going on around here.....
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Freda told me you were adrift and I used my 1-D pocket, It can get us back to my tower anytime. I've long ago stopped speculating how Hoopy does anything.
    HoopyFrood

Heh. I'm a mystery unto myself, even.

And I said, was after some tea, got redirected here.
    j d worthington

I new tea had some very useful qualities, but this is the first I've heard of it being a spacetime manipulator/rearranger.... I'll be darned.

Well... perhaps I'd best take you up on that Ace, at least until I figure out what's going on and how best to fix...

*j.d. has been gesturing while speaking, and now has suddenly realized that his hand is growing transparent. looking down, he sees the rest of him is doing the same*

Oh, bugger....
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011