Who do you think is the GREATEST LIVING (SFF&horror) author?

Have to agree with Stephen King for horror (and some pretty decent fantasy - although I thought The Dark Tower deteriorated as it went on - I haven't bothered with the last few!)
I don't feel in a position to nominate a SF writer, as I haven't read enough of most of the authors that have been mentioned so far.
Surely we are looking for 2 writers, right? One for each genre? Or maybe 3 (one for fantasy also)? If so, I'd vote for Stephen Donaldson for fantasy.

King tends to get put into the SFF general section now, anyway, and there are some that argue he belongs there rather than straight horror. Tommyknockers, From a Buick 8 etc could be consider SF, Dark Tower definitely is fantasy, as is The Eyes of the Dragon, to name a couple.

Have to agree with Stephen King for horror (and some pretty decent fantasy - although I thought The Dark Tower deteriorated as it went on - I haven't bothered with the last few!)

Awe man, the last few are the best. Wolves of the Calla is not only my favorite of the DT series, it is one of my favorite books by King. And the final book brought me tears multiple times.

King tends to get put into the SFF general section now, anyway, and there are some that argue he belongs there rather than straight horror. Tommyknockers, From a Buick 8 etc could be consider SF, Dark Tower definitely is fantasy, as is The Eyes of the Dragon, to name a couple.

I've always though he was more urban-fantasy than horror. Such is the problem with genre classifications.

For me its easily Jack Vance, there are many great authors living but few literary geniuses in his level. I consider him to be one of the best writers living period and not just SF,Fantasy.

Not because he is a fav writer but his craft,prose is among the best i have seen. There are other who arent a fav that are amazing writers. Not just if they fit my taste or not.

I'm surprised a certain heavyweight fantasy writer has not been mentioned.

Who are you thinking about ? Please dont say someone who is a bestseller and hugely popular like thats the only reason people think someone is great.

I couldn't say objectively, but personally, my favourite authors right now who are still alive are: Thomas Ligotti and Chistopher Priest. I have in the past been a huge fan of Ursula Le Guin and Michael Moorcock but they're not amoung my favourites right now so I wouldn't include them.

I couldn't say objectively, but personally, my favourite authors right now who are still alive are: Thomas Ligotti and Chistopher Priest. I have in the past been a huge fan of Ursula Le Guin and Michael Moorcock but they're not amoung my favourites right now so I wouldn't include them.

But do you think Priest is the best living author you have read ability wise ?

Moorcock is not a fav of mine since i dont enjoy his S&S series but i have alot of respect for his SF i have read. I would say he is among the best living SFF authors even if he isnt in my top fav authors list.

I would also say Richard Morgan is a big fav but i would not say he is among the best living SF authors i have read. Vance,Cherryh,Powers etc i rate higher.

Big fav and best objectively writing ability is different.

But do you think Priest is the best living author you have read ability wise ?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I include him because of my favourite authors at the moment, of which he is one, he happens to still be alive.

I have enormous respect for his ability, both with his novels and short stories that I have read.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I include him because of my favourite authors at the moment, of which he is one, he happens to still be alive.

I have enormous respect for his ability, both with his novels and short stories that I have read.

I know what you mean but i was thinking you talking about Moorcock,Le Guin being big favs. The thread maker asked who you think is the best living SFF author and not mention just one of your favorites. Do you rank him him higher than Moorcock for example as the better writer in your view ?

I was just wondering is best living SFF author to you right now ?

The “greatest living author” is a tough one, but I think there’s a case for saying that Stephen Baxter is/will be one of the “greats”. Yes he does have his weak points, but Arthur C Clarke is classed as a “great” too despite having similar weaknesses.

In common with some other “hard” SF writers Baxter's characters can sometimes just be there to gaze in awe or get caught up in events. But his strengths are his ideas, sense of wonder, and an attention to detail that makes his stories seem so vivid, and he can do memorable characters as well when he puts his mind to it. I wish he'd lighten up a bit sometimes though!

One contender that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is Ray Bradbury. I've not really time to write much more just now, but I think his work speaks for itself, and he's virtually a living history of the genre.

Martin

Last edited:
I know what you mean but i was thinking you talking about Moorcock,Le Guin being big favs. The thread maker asked who you think is the best living SFF author and not mention just one of your favorites. Do you rank him him higher than Moorcock for example as the better writer in your view ?

I was just wondering is best living SFF author to you right now ?
I make no pretence at objectivity but right now, I prefer Christopher Priest to Michael Moorcock.

I make no pretence at objectivity but right now, I prefer Christopher Priest to Michael Moorcock.

No need to be real objective with a personal thing like who is a great author to you. Even the best critics cant be totally objective.

I was wondering who you rated highest in SFF today. I know how you feel about Thomas Ligotti, see it in your Goodreads fav author list. Was looking for your SFF version of him.

I was wondering who you rated highest in SFF today. I know how you feel about Thomas Ligotti, see it in your Goodreads fav author list. Was looking for your SFF version of him.
Well, besides Christopher Priest (who is the one I'm most into right now), I suppose Michael Moorcock, Robert Silverberg, Jack Vance, Ursula Le Guin, Patricia McKillip are probably amoung the best who are still around.

And let us not forget the great Ray Bradbury who's into his nineties and still with us.

I agree as good as Moorcock can be. I should have mentioned Priest along with those other authors in my previous post. Gene Wolfe is at the very top off my SFF list with authors like Priest, M John Harrison, McKillip, Gaiman, Vance (may be my no. 2) , Le Guin and Robert Adams in the wings and of course Ligotti for horror.:)

I don't quite know how to address the topic, but here are a list of genre authors, currently writing, that I will always buy a new book from, and I will also usually drop everything else to read it:

1. Stephen King
2. Thomas Ligotti
3. Michael Cisco
4. Joe R. Lansdale
5. J.M. McDermmot

Can I nominate Terry Goodkind? His characters are so deep, and the plot of each new book so unique, that he deserves a shot at the top spot. His great theme of personal responsibility in the face of insurmountable odds is amazi ---

AAAAACK!

*Clansman chokes robot imposter sitting in his chair, slamming its head repeatedly against the keyboard*

asdfadsfasdfrasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf

DIE, YOU PHILISTINE!

With respect, the requested nomination is withdrawn, as quickly and forcefully as possible.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Sorry for the interruption/threadjack. I thought a little, umm, contrast was in order (i.e. 'greatest' vs. 'worst').

Back