Newspaper Reaches New Low...

Discussion in 'World affairs' started by mosaix, Jul 4, 2011.

mosaix

mosaix Active Member

Apparently the New Of The World hacked into the mobile phone of Milly Dowler, the murdered schoolgirl.

In a new low for British journalism they deleted some messages left by Milly's relatives and this gave false hope to her parents that Milly was still alive.

'Scum' doesn't come close.

This oft-repeated claim by journalists that what they do is in the interest of the public's 'right to know' is stripped naked by stuff like this.

Something has to be done soon.
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

What did you expect from, 'The News of the Scr*ws.'

Sunday's a slow day for news, so Sun, 'Journalists,' need something to do.

The sooner somebody firebombs that sh*thole, the better.:mad:
    Boneman

Boneman Active Member

Aah, the much-vaunted 'freedom of the press'. What they never seem to understand (or actually, prefer to ignore) is that with great freedom comes great responsibility, and when that responsibility is cast aside, then they no longer deserve the freedom that goes with it. I look forward to the jail sentences they get and the treatment that will be meted out to them by the other inmates... Rough justice? Certainly. A message to those who would break the law for the worst of reasons? Absolutely.
    RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet Never Sure

Would you be able to explain that story in a bit more detail, or give a link? It sounds very bad, if it's true! Sh*t!
    alchemist

alchemist On holidays!

It's hard to imagine how much lower they could go. When the apocalypse comes, and I'm in charge, tabloid hacks and dog shampooists will be the first to be used as zombie bait.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Here's a link to the BBC article, for those who've yet to read about this.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14017661

A real jaw on the floor moment. You'd like to believe that even the "journalists" at the NOTW wouldn't sink to this level...but apparently they would.:mad:
    Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

Perhaps, if the police can work up the enthusiasm, those involved will be charged, including with tampering with evidence in a murder case**.

** - By the way does anyone else suspect that Mr Bellfield might soon be contacting his lawyer, suggesting that the deleted messages would have backed up the claims his counsel followed up in court?
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

One has to wonder, given that the NOTW seem to have gained an exclusive interview with the family as a result of their tampering, whether they could also be done for profiting from a criminal act. Not sure how the law would stand on that one, but it'd be nice to see.

As for Bellfield...well, one hopes that the case against him was strong enough and thorough enough that this won't affect the conviction. An appeal would not surprise me, though...
    soulsinging

soulsinging the dude abides

Why am I not surprised to learn that Rupert Murdoch owns this company? Look what he's done to America via Foxnews...
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I'm not surprised by this. Someone was asking on LBC radio some months back why the general public was uninterested in this phone hacking scandal. Only the media itself seemed bothered. However, someone else said (sorry to be vague but it was months ago) that the reason was because so far (up to then) the only hacking cases to come out were politicians and celebrities who were seen as fair game. He said to wait until the victims, and families of victims and, witnesses to crimes came to light. It seems like that is exactly what is now happening.

I thought that only I had a jaded view of the journalistic profession. It seems we have a club here.
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

I was listening to radio 4 on my way to work and they had some details on this, and on the whole hacking scandal case(s)
    It seems that a lady, Rebecca Brooks, was editor of the NOTW whilst this was happening, and although she protests her innocence (by way of being unaware it was happening) she is now in the upper management at NewsCorp (the NOTW parent company, amongst other papers and media outlets, all owned by Rupert Murdoch's NewsInternational) and it seems that after the initial hacking scandal that NewsCorp did their own internal investigation and concluded (falsely) that it was not systematic and was a one off occurence. It has now come to light that they had information about other phone hacking cases but refused to release details of it and covered it up.

Now, of course, they are admitting slightly more, but still proclaiming that the cases that are coming to light are not a sign of systematic use of phone hacking (at the NOTW) nor of a cover up.

It does seem that the people involved (at all levels) knew what they were doing, and took it way too far. I hope that the Dowlers can sue the NOTW for a huge amount of money and put a real dent in the finances of NewsCorp/NewsInternational. I also hope that everyone involved in this is prosecuted, although saying that, I expect the people hired by the NOTW were doing what they were paid for, similarly I expect someone at the NOTW will be made a scapegoat and have the order to hack pinned on them, saving the upper management from shame/scandal/prosecution.

We champion our free press, but right now very few papers are printing anything about this story (which has been running for 5 years!!) mainly because most of them are owned by the same organisation and they would rather have front pages dedicated to Ryan Gigg's latest lover than a long running story exposing the corruption of the press and the media industry.
    RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet Never Sure

It's truly disgusting, and honest journalists will be afraid to state their profession because of this one man ...
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Sorry, but it is considerably more than "one man." I have had dealings with the ambulance chasers myself and the only thing that has changed here is that the technology has improved.
    Ursa major

I suspect that the main reason the red tops are not pursuing this as hard as one might expect is that they were all doing it. And apart from moral scruples** :)rolleyes:), why wouldn't they? All they needed was a phone number and the hope that the password hadn't been changed and they had access to material that the owner of the phone (and those who left messages on it) thought was confidential. After that, it was a free source of gossip. And gossip is what these rags make their money out of.

** - Remember, they have the scruples of an industry that gives a bouquet of flowers to the relatives of someone who's died, a bouquet that has a microphone or other recording equipment in it. (I can't recall who it was, but someone was on the radio in the past month or so saying that this had happened to them.)
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

Well, it is against the law, U.M. :rolleyes:
    Ursa major

You're right, mosaix. (I shouldn't have tried to limit the scope of the scruples they don't possess. ;))

But on a more serious note, I'm sure most of them thought they'd 'tamed' the police sufficiently to not have to worry about being brought before the courts.
    RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet Never Sure

Yes, well one thing: a newspaper reporter would not be able to do that without the editor's consent ...
    Ursa major

I wouldn't know, RJMC: it might depend on how the information is presented as to whether it's obvious that it's been obtained by dubious means or not.

(I'm sure that, as in most jobs/professions, there are those who work for newspapers who take account of the rules - and stick to them - and those who only take notice of rules in the context of covering their own behinds.)
    RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet Never Sure

The reporter may source the story and write it, but he will have to divulge his sources to the editor before publication. The editor will protect the identity of sources and even go to prison for doing so. But he himself will have to know? There will be an editorial conference of senior staff before a sensitive story goes to print. The Watergate scandal?

So I don't know whether this prosecution will come down upon the reporter himself, or upon the editor, and eventually the owner of the newspaper?
    Moonbat

Moonbat Luna tick

I heard that as well this morning, that the editor would have seen the story and should have asked (and been told) where the material came from/who the source was. So it seems quite clear that the editor would have said "ok, nice bit of dirt, where did you get it from" and the journo says "the phone hack" and the editor says "ok, brilliant. Loving these phone hacks"
    Which, if true, means the editor (one Rebecca Brooks) is responsible for this and guilty of a truly horrible crime against a young victim of murder and her grieving family. No amount of Murdoch dollars should keep this lady from being punished, it simply isn't acceptable.