RIP Peter Falk

StormFeather

Just passing
Peter Falk aka Columbo, and the Grandfather/narrator in The Princess Bride (and many other things, as I've just discovered, but didn't realise), died last night at the ripe old age of 83.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has fond memories of him. For one thing, his gravelly voice is just perfect for the Princess Bride - one of my favouritest films ever.

So, as I have posted elsewhere:

Tonight I'm raising a glass to Peter Falk
I toast you good sir, as a man who brought joy to the multitude, and who will be forever synonymous with that raincoat.
And, you were pretty darned good in the Princess Bride too!
Rest in Peace, good man

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I was too young to watch Columbo in its prime, I always enjoyed any re-runs I saw. His "playing dumb" portrayal was fantastic. He will be missed.

Oh, just one thing...

And just one more thing, too...;)

My wife loves Columbo, and is, well, distraught.

Heard that he got that part when Bing Crosby turned it down because he had a golf tournament during casting. Brought smiles to many faces, and will be missed.

Columbo was about as good as network TV gets. RIP Peter Falk.

I loved that series. I once did an essay comparing Columbo to Socrates in the dialogues.

I kind of hope the casket opens at his funeral and the congregation hears- 'Just one more thing...'

Peter Falk R.I.P.

The man who played Columbo - my favourite detective - has died peacefully at his home. He was 83 and suffered from dementia.

I used to love hearing him say....Just one more thing...to the smug perp who thought had escaped justice.

The first time he made me laugh as an actor was when he starred in the movie The Great Race (1965), I was just a kid in grade school.

Rest in peace Mr Falk, thanks for the entertainment.​

My mom hated Columbo, but I think it was only because my dad liked it so much. I'm a fan myself, and a particular fan of The Princess Bride.

RIP Mr. Falk, and thank you.

Thanks, Peter, and have a nice afterlife.
Didn't know about his eye.
Hello, God? My name is Columbo, Lieutenant Columbo....

Peter Falk was to Columbo what Sean Connery was to James Bond and William Shatner was to Capt. Kirk: irreplaceable.

A great actor, very enjoyable to watch. I loved the way he would hold a thumb to his forehead, a cigar stub between two fingers, then ask a penetrating question.

My favourite anectote is that whilst they were all on set filming an episode of Columbo armed robbers attacked the offices of the production company. When the actors heard they all turned to Columbo...

"Did anyone get a description?" he asked lamely.

R.I.P.

"You look more like number two. Know what I mean?"

~Peter Falk as Sam Diamond in Murder By Death.

So sadly the Lieutenant has finally solved his last case, much to the relief of criminals everywhere.
RIP Peter.

While Peter Falk is best known for his (wonderful!!!) Colombo character and great as a supporting actor in the Princes' Bride, in my opinion the best movie he appeared in (as a defecting angel) was Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin), a beautiful, lyrical German production fantasy film.

Brillant actor who made the most of brilliant writing! Almost the first of the anti-hero cops, his shabby raincoat and dishevilled appearance made him an unorthodox role-model, but he was great on-screen. RIP

So someone that used to be an angel (see Wings of Desire) gets to try again.