1.10 Game of Thrones - Fire and Blood

I think epis 9 and 10 were two of the best hours of television ever, equalling anything I can remember including the best of The Sopranos, Dexter, Deadwood, etc. There's already talk about multiple emmy nominations for the series, which will be well deserved.

Cat grieving for Ned, then going to her son who needed her more than she needed to grieve.

Tyrion becoming Hand

Jon's ride, Sam's courage, the boys catching him and reciting the oath to him. I got goosebumps just writing that.

Dany killing her beloved Drogo

Miri Maz Duur's singing, then screams, as Dany walked into the fire

KING IN THE NORTH

Arya

Sansa saying the line out loud that was only thought in the book

Joffrey being established as the sadistic monster that he is. Your hands or your tongue?

Jon and the men of the Watch riding out much in the same way the season began, except to the north this time, and to the unknown.

The only headshaker for me was Pycelle. Was that just to establish that he's not the doddering old fool that he would appear to be, combined with and post sex infohump?

great, great, great episode

I completely agree Ser Imp.
I must say I am glad you and others are perplexed as I was over Pycelle's momentary youth dance. I sure did not pick that up in the book. Maybe he feels many years younger just after a visit with a woman such as Roz?

I didn't like Khal Drogo's demise. Most of the series he was somekind of a superwarrior only to be defeated and rendered useless by an infected wound and a mad witch. I would love to have seen him enter the battlefield and fight an enemy army, but in such a scenario Dany would have never entered that fire and the dragons eggs would have never hatched.
For me that's part of the genius of the story. Largely due to Daeny and her misplaced trust, Drogo died a passive, shameful death instead of the warrior's death he would have wanted. It's a bad way for Drogo to go, but it's a necessary lesson for Daeny, who is forced to become much harder - and make some tough decisions - as a result. Drogo's weakness also meant that most of the khalasar left: this is when Daeny's forced to come into her own as a ruler. She can't just inherit power any more - from her father or Viserys or Drogo - she has to take it for herself.

I also thought this was a great episode. After having my doubts about Sansa, I now have high hopes for her. Robb was good too. I won't bother mentioning the others cos they've always been pretty great.

I completely agree Ser Imp.
I must say I am glad you and others are perplexed as I was over Pycelle's momentary youth dance. I sure did not pick that up in the book. Maybe he feels many years younger just after a visit with a woman such as Roz?

It was actually nice for me to see that...

But I'm in spoiler territory, so I'll divert.

And, I also, completely agree with Ser Imp.

Well said.

If I had the male version of her body, I'd walk around naked too.

That lady is looking fit.

Well... what more need I say, just a really satisfying end to a really satisfying series.

I think the last few episodes were stupendous and the worst bit now is to wait for season 2...

Danny's hair had to be burned, and the dragons looked very much like lizards. The rest of the story was great.

For one split second I lost my mind, and wanted Sansa to push Joffrey to a screaming death, and to Hell with how the story is supposed to go.

Gosh, that's horrible, but so is he. I think I liked her more in that scene than I have ever liked her. The actors made me feel something.

On a different note, Pycelle made me LOL, and for the very first time, I actually enjoyed Roz' contribution. Go figure.

Danny's hair had to be burned, and the dragons looked very much like lizards. The rest of the story was great.

I thought the dragons looked great. They were baby dragons so obviously they looked like lizards. Imagine them 20 times bigger and its definatly a dragon!

For me that's part of the genius of the story. Largely due to Daeny and her misplaced trust, Drogo died a passive, shameful death instead of the warrior's death he would have wanted. It's a bad way for Drogo to go, but it's a necessary lesson for Daeny, who is forced to become much harder - and make some tough decisions - as a result. Drogo's weakness also meant that most of the khalasar left: this is when Daeny's forced to come into her own as a ruler. She can't just inherit power any more - from her father or Viserys or Drogo - she has to take it for herself.

True, in hindsight he died a slow death from the moment he fell of his horse all the way to his vegetative state, and suffocation. I never saw that coming, since he, in a earlier episode, boasted to his subjects that he would cross the Narrow Sea and lay waste to the Seven Kingdoms, I kinda pictured that happening.:D

I also thought this was a great episode. After having my doubts about Sansa, I now have high hopes for her. Robb was good too. I won't bother mentioning the others cos they've always been pretty great.

Definitely, I loved her comeback to Joffrey when he promised he would behead her older siblings. Something along the lines of; "Maybe he will give me your head" :cool:

Also a big LOL at the old guy stretching and dancing; is his public display as a fragile old man just a charade, and is he much more agile then he reveals?

I don't remember Dany's hair being burnt in the book at all, so I'm glad it wasn't in the show. I think she would've looked daft. The baby dragons were cool. I don't remember much about the episode, other than actually thinking 'go Sansa!'

Great episode. Did everything very well. I thought the dragons looked excellent: their movements, coloration and sound. I'm not personally a fan of the wyvern look (legs and hand/wings) compared to the more standard western dragon look (4 limbs + wings) but that's a design choice I can live with as long as the quality of CG remains. I honestly think that kind of decision might be in the same vein as the choice for cartoon characters with 3 fingers instead of 4. Cost of always rendering 2 extra limbs/dragon would add up to too much as seasons go on.

The Pycelle thing was weird to me too. I thought he was the frail old man he appeared to be in the books...should be fun to see if/how they change him up.

I thought the "There is only me" line was delivered pretty well. I'm excited to see some of the other locations that will come into focus next season. And I want to see Jaqen! I'm guessing they don't have an actor chosen for him yet which is why we didn't see his face.

Really enjoyed the episode - a fitting dramatic end to a dramatic series.

The dragons looked really effective - dreaded cheap CGI but didn't look it.

And the rangers are riding!

For the second season I just hope HBO stop trying to put tits and ass in to - the story doesn't need it, and it's insulting to viewers IMO. But, otherwise, very well done, and no doubt some intentional stirring of things in how they've done things.

This was another great episode. I loved all of the things mentioned already. The scene where Robb was declared King in the North gave me goosebumps.

The scene between Pycelle and Roz had me laughing out loud. Nothing and on one is how they seem in GRRM'S world and this was a great way to show it to the viewer.

Littlefinger and Varys sparring again. As posted earlier I cannot wait until next season when Tryion is thrown into that mix. The three of them will steal every scene they are in.

Joffery is a .... , similar to what Tyrion called his Father. A line that was brilliantly delivered.

I don't remember Dany's hair being burnt in the book at all, so I'm glad it wasn't in the show. I think she would've looked daft. The baby dragons were cool. I don't remember much about the episode, other than actually thinking 'go Sansa!'

In the book it says 'She was naked, covered with soot, her clothes turned to ash, her beautiful hair all crisped away...yet she was unhurt'. But I'm glad as well that they left her hair for the show, she would have looked a bit silly bald.

And I have to say Ser Jorah has become one of my favorite characters in the show. That was an outstanding casting job.

I just hope that crazy-looking woman who cackled during the Greatjon's speech isn't supposed to be Maege Mormont, or that will be a serious miss-hit in casting after the superb job they did with Jeor and Jorah.

I just hope that crazy-looking woman who cackled during the Greatjon's speech isn't supposed to be Maege Mormont, or that will be a serious miss-hit in casting after the superb job they did with Jeor and Jorah.
I thought that too! I don't see why they'd have cast her yet, though, if they haven't really cast the other newbies from season 2.

I wish there were at least 20 episodes. They could almost do one episode per chapter and then it wouldn't feel like a Reader' Digest version.

It's sad they they are leaving out so much of GRRM's brilliant story.

That is why I have not read the books. I already have an unread copy of the first book, and I just bought a second for my Wife. We are now going to read this book and enjoy it. After the second season, we will read the second book.

Comparing a book to a series or film is like comparing apples and oranges. The book will generally always be better, because the book invokes your own vision of what it will look like, rather than someone else's. It is also an issue covering every conceivable aspect of the book into a mere 9 or so hours. So some things inevitably have to be dropped to keep pace and cohesion within the series. I was lucky that I hadn't read any of this series, so it was all new to me.

As far as the series goes, from the view of an initiate, it has been absolutely brilliant! We have been waiting with angst, from week to week, to see the next episode. I even even avoided all the forums on SFF Chronicles, that would have content about Game of Thrones, for the past 3 months while watching the series so nothing would be given away.

I also have to say, I hope that little bugger Joffrey, has his head on a stick in the next season! :mad: