Ok so who knew about Loras and Renly before the series?

Did you know before the latest episode??

• I hadnt a clue.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I caught the subtle references in the books.

Votes: 32 84.2%

• Total voters
Have to say that when Loras freaked out after Renly's death, I thought it was family ties and loyalty behind it. But there was something, very soon after, that got me thinking along those lines.

As Mesanna says, there's probably heaps of hints I missed.

Definitely makes me want to read the books again. But my copy is lent out, and there's a bit of a line for it! I'll just have to rely on the magnificent Chron GRRM experts to point out the deets.

I figured it out in my first read of the books, I think that Renly not consummating his marriage to Margaery, Loras' rage at Renly's death and that Loras appeared not to notice Sansa (after he gave her the rose at the tournament that is), who is portrayed as a great beauty were indicators to me.

Not gay:
A) There, in all likelyhood would not have been a Tyrell-Baratheon alliance
Wasn't Loras Renly's former squire though? It is still possible they could have formed an alliance. Note that I'm assuming Loras was squired and then became Renly's lover, rather than the other way around.

Regarding the hints in the books: I think there's also a bit where Cersei says something about not wanting Loras to train Tommen because of the relationship that might form between them.

It's in the book, there are plenty of references. I think it's a cop out to criticise the show because 'it wasn't that important in the book.' I think it's great that they chose to not shy away from it. Sexuality plays a big part in how GRRM develops many characters.

The bolded was my primary inkling. I assumed it was so and it explained some actions but, I never really considered it a big deal in the books. I actually didn't connect the Rainbow Guard bit until...just now :cool:

R+L=J leaped out at me about 1/4 of the way into my first AGoT re-read which took place after reading through AFFC. I don't know how anyone could be expected to pick up on that one in their first read. The show is pushing Jon's mom as a much bigger issue right now and I still expect most people who only have exposure through the show to miss it.

edit: I also don't think there's very much concerning Renly/Loras in the first book. It's not something you get many hints towards until book 2. In book 1 it's mainly just descriptions of how pretty both of them are and how well Renly dresses.
I thought RLJ so far is merely a theory, can't really compare it to the fact that Renly and Loras were gay or (which is a fact backed up by numerous quotes)...?

Why is there no accurate poll option? It really wasn't subtle hints at all. I remember some thoughts and or dialogues of Cersei's where she says something along the lines of not wanting someone like Loras around Tommen when he is suggested as a bodyguard or combat teacher.

Well, at least I thought it was glaringly obvious.

The scene is now on youtube. Quite a lot. Not that I uh... I've looked or anything. You know.

:D

I love that in this thread people are like 'how the holy hell did people not get they were gay?!'

I must've been tired or something, ok? ;)

It must be because I'm actually okay with gay people :D

But I still don't see the necessity for that scene.
It's like "Hmm Viserys...how to give some more depth to that character... I know, sex scene with made up dialogue!"
"Hmmmmm Renly and Loras...how to tell the audience what they are really quickly...I know! Sex scene with made up dialogue!"
"Hmmm Theon...Wait who? Oh that guy...Heck, just do the sex scene already."

It's like "Hmm Viserys...how to give some more depth to that character... I know, sex scene with made up dialogue!"
"Hmmmmm Renly and Loras...how to tell the audience what they are really quickly...I know! Sex scene with made up dialogue!"

LOL Hadd!
I completely agree too with you Mouse.
I thought the bathtub scene with Viserys was far too long but gave some info for folks who have not read the books.
I thought maybe Cercei did NOT want Loras to do any teaching whatsoever for Tommen whether with swords or anything else was just becaus eshe dis not like him or his sister.
Also showing Theon with the prostitute shows the viewer some early info on him. We didnt know much of Theon til book #2....unless I missed something there too.:rolleyes:

When in doubt...
GRRM's way of teaching us that no matter how big of a fool you are,
you can still get some.