Starchaser:The Legend of Orin (1986)

Re: Starchaser:The Legend of Orin (1982)

I really love Starchaser too, I caught it on cable one day and I still watch it now and then.

Originally, this movie was supposed to be released in theaters in 3D in 1982*, unfortunately it was decided at the last moment to send it straight to video. The film was overlooked by many people at the beginning and failed as a rental, but when it was quickly sent to cable tv, that's when more people began checking it out and fans of the film began inquiring where this cool movie came from.

George Lucas was the answer! He wanted to distance himself from Starchaser because he felt this movie had too many elements close to Star Wars. I never compared it to any other film, I always felt the movie stood on it's own.

*Side Note: When the film became successful after it was released on cable, it was reissued for sale in 1986, but not in 3D.

And a blast in the future:
It was announced in March of 2012 that Rilean Pictures acquired the rights to develop the 1985 3D Animated Epic, Starchaser: The Legend of Orin, into a live action motion picture to be produced by Rilean Pictures’ partners Jonathan Saba and Juan Iglesias. Saba and Iglesias made the announcement.
Quote from Wiki.

Nice!

But...

Live action? The story is great, but I'm not sure how it would transfer into live action.

It could be done with the special effect technology of CGI now.

But if they make a mess of this movie, I'll be very disappointed.

However, I can already see one update placed into Starchaser. Like the android work force not needing paper to file reports.

Yes, I'd be expecting some modernising to go on though. As long as they don't butcher the characters and story I'll be happy.